Mindblowing. Can't give up now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 25th, 2011, 6:17 am 

99.17% translation.
76.56% editing.

Getting nearer and nearer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 28th, 2011, 11:11 pm 

After all this while, we managed to release it just now, please enjoy it if you can, and thank you very much for the encouragement!

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 29th, 2011, 1:26 am 

izmosmolnar wrote:
After all this while, we managed to release it just now, please enjoy it if you can, and thank you very much for the encouragement!

FUCKING YEAH!!

EDIT: No, thank YOU very much for your dedication!!

EDIT2: I'm in a total awe right now. I wanted to play this one FOR AGES..

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 29th, 2011, 5:19 am 

And all Hell breaks loose! :shock:

Congratulations to everyone involved for completing this project. Some fantastic work has been done into this patch. Is there any plan for replacing the Windows tracks with better recordings from the PC-98 version? I'm asking because I already made one some months ago, in anticipation of this patch. I just need to insert it back and test it with arctools.

Argh... must... resist... playing... NOW!

[Edit] It looks like the link to arctools 0.5 is dead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 29th, 2011, 7:42 am 

Here are executable versions of arctools:
http://www.mediafire.com/?jwh1jwe6objb6sf

For the higher quality music to be played correctly, the sound buffer settings need to be changed in the exe. Here's a modified AI5ENG.EXE that is set up for 44 kHz stereo PCM for music and 22 kHz mono for sound effects:
http://www.mediafire.com/?9yrs5naff6m7smg

Let me know if you need help using these or want me to create an exe with different sound settings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 29th, 2011, 2:56 pm 

Thanks Kingshriek, I'm going to try these right now :)

Not quite related, but I'm wondering... Is there a way to slow the execution down somehow? The Windows port is running much faster than the PC-98 version, which mostly kills the elaborate screen transitions in cutscenes and makes the music not quite synchronous with the visuals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 29th, 2011, 6:08 pm 

I'm hitting a block with the way the interpreter loops the cues. The original WAV tracks have only one loop followed by a short fadeout. Ingame, you never hear the fadeout and the music correctly loops indefinitely (the title screen tune for example).

When recording my own track, I can't reproduce this behaviour. The music stops after being played once, whether I put a fadeout or not, whether my recording is exactly the same length as the original or not. Which makes me think maybe there's a kind of hidden "loop" flag in the Elf WAV files? I don't know how to fix this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 30th, 2011, 2:11 am 

Congratulations and thank you for all the hard work. I hope you're able to iron out the inevitable little bugs and perfect the release.

It's wonderful that one of the greatest Japanese adventure games of all time is now finally available to play in English. Now many more people will be able to appreciate Hiroyuki Kanno's amazing writing and the late Ryu Umemoto's legendary music.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 30th, 2011, 5:38 am 

Kaminari wrote:
Not quite related, but I'm wondering... Is there a way to slow the execution down somehow? The Windows port is running much faster than the PC-98 version, which mostly kills the elaborate screen transitions in cutscenes and makes the music not quite synchronous with the visuals.

Yeah, a lot of the timing is messed up in the Windows version unfortunately. Probably because the game runs in a busy-waiting loop instead of on a proper timer system. You can try throttling the CPU usage with BES, but I don't think you'll be able to get it down to PC-98 levels without severely affecting the responsiveness.

Kaminari wrote:
I'm hitting a block with the way the interpreter loops the cues. The original WAV tracks have only one loop followed by a short fadeout. Ingame, you never hear the fadeout and the music correctly loops indefinitely (the title screen tune for example).

When recording my own track, I can't reproduce this behaviour. The music stops after being played once, whether I put a fadeout or not, whether my recording is exactly the same length as the original or not. Which makes me think maybe there's a kind of hidden "loop" flag in the Elf WAV files? I don't know how to fix this.

I never thought about how the game handles the looping. I looked into it and the looping data is contained in the wav files. Fortunately, it uses a standard format known as cue-points. These can be edited with a cue-point aware audio editor such as GoldWave (it can export/import the data to/from cue sheets as used in CD images). So applying loops would involve export all the cue data from the original wav files and then applying them to the new ones, modifying as necessary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 30th, 2011, 8:25 pm 

I've tried a couple of programs, including GoldWave and CueListTool. They all seem to be able to read the original cue points fine (except for the title tune, where for some reason there is a start point but no end point).

Problem is, in spite of my efforts, I can't seem to be able to save the new cue points correctly. It's like the game can't read them at all, and ends up playing the tracks once. I've made many tests, but the result is always the same.

I even tried the following experiment:
- I loaded an original 22 KHz file in GoldWave (YUNO_02 aka. "Prologue" which you hear when starting a new game).
- I exported the cue points in a cue sheet.
- I deleted the original cue points and saved the WAV in its original format.
- I imported the cue sheet and checked that the cue points were exactly the same as the original ones (including the labels), then saved the WAV again in its original format.

When repacked, the cue points don't work and the track is only played once...

Help! :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 2nd, 2011, 8:50 am 

Turns out I was a bit too hasty in my assessment. While the wav files do have cue point information, it appears this information is not read by the game. The loop data that the game actually reads from is also stored in the wav file but in a custom format. I wrote a python 3.x script to deal with this:

waveloop.py http://www.mediafire.com/?uxlw60ez0gfzgjr

This is used in conjunction with the arcunpack/arcrepack tools and exe I posted previously. The general outline of the procedure is to dump the raw looping data from the original music files, modify specific values in the raw data that correspond to the actual loop points the game reads from, and finally insert the raw looping data back into the new files. The full steps to process the music are as follows:

1) Use arcunpack to dump the original MUSIC.ARC archive to a directory, ex. arcunpack MUSIC.ARC MUSIC.
2) Run waveloop.py on this directory, ex. waveloop.py MUSIC. This will dump out a bunch of .bin files (one for each .wav file) and a loopdata.txt file.
3) Copy the .bin files and the loopdata.txt file to the music folder which contains the new set of music.
4) Edit loopdata.txt as needed to modify the loop points. loopdata.txt is in a tab-delimited format with each line containing the wav file name, the loop start point, and the loop end point in order. The loop points in loopdata.txt are given in 44.1 kHz samples, i.e. divide by 44100 to get the time in seconds. Any decent audio editor should be to work in sample units though, so you shouldn't need to calculate anything. Note: the initial values in loopdata.txt dumped from the original MUSIC.ARC archive are pre-multiplied by 2 (22050 to 44100 Hz conversion) so the loop points should be close to what they need to be for the new set of music. Also, filenames not listed in loopdata.txt do not loop, so there is no need to edit any values for those.
5) Run waveloop.py in insert mode on the new directory, ex. waveloop.py -i MUSIC2
6) Use arcrepack to create a new music archive, ex. arcrepack MUSIC2 MUSIC2.ARC
7) Copy the new archive to the game directory and edit the ini file (AI5ENG.INI for the English translation) to use it (or just rename the archive MUSIC.ARC). Also copy the modified exe I posted previously to the game directory.

I did a quick test using this procedure and was able to modify the loop points of a 44.1 kHz stereo recording of the title music (YUNO_01.WAV).

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 3rd, 2011, 4:39 am 

Success! As usual, you're awesome. I'm now ploughing my way through the tracklist :)

There are a couple of cutscenes in the game, but none require more precise timing than the opening. I suppose it was reasonably synchronized 10 years ago on a Pentium 200, but unfortunately that's not the case anymore.

That's why I've tried to edit/trim the opening theme in order to resync it with the visual sequence on faster machines. I took the staff credits and the clock ticks at the very end as audiovisual references. The result appears decent on my system (a Core2 Duo @3.3 GHz) but I'd like to know how it performs on different configurations.

For that purpose, I've assembled a mini MUSIC.ARC file which only contains the opening theme (to check the synchro) and the title theme (to check that the loops work). If you want to give it a try, please make a backup of your MUSIC.ARC file in the YUNO directory and replace it with this one:

http://mediafire.com/?5gh46gxdj2n5k

Note: you need to install the new 44 KHz compatible executable provided by Kingshriek here:

http://mediafire.com/?9yrs5naff6m7smg

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 5th, 2011, 10:22 pm 

The new music pack is ready :)

Compressed, it weighs around 1.2 GB in 7-zip (the original MUSIC.ARC 22 KHz mono file is 410 MB). I'll try to upload it tomorrow on MediaFire as chunks of 200 MB, but in the long term it should hopefully be hosted somewhere or distributed via Torrent. Would TLWiki be interested in hosting it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 6th, 2011, 2:24 am 

Kaminari wrote:
The new music pack is ready :)

Compressed, it weighs around 1.2 GB in 7-zip (the original MUSIC.ARC 22 KHz mono file is 410 MB). I'll try to upload it tomorrow on MediaFire as chunks of 200 MB, but in the long term it should hopefully be hosted somewhere or distributed via Torrent. Would TLWiki be interested in hosting it?

I'll help seeding the torrent, if that's the case.