Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:59 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: May 19th, 2008, 10:52 pm 

Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Following its predecessor Llylgamyn Saga which was a remake of the first three Wizardry games, New Age of Llylgamyn is a remake of the fourth and fifth Wizardrys. Most notably, this is the only collection of games to include a vast remake of Wizardry IV: The Return of Werdna, the most difficult Wizardry ever made. There are two different modes for Wizardry IV: classic and arrange. Classic allows you to play Wizardry IV in English if you set the options correctly:

Moreover, the above options set the game to display updated dungeon and enemy graphics. And just like Llylgamyn Saga, each Wizardry game in this collection contains an orchestral soundtrack. This compilation is essentially a must-have for Wizardry fans.

Download Link:
Code:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EU2MMY6F
Quote:
Compressed Size: 210MB

Wizardry V: Heart of the Maelstrom is also available in full English if one sets the above options. However, its soundtrack is inferior to the FM-TOWNS Wizardry V remake and its dungeon graphics are only marginally better than those of Wizardry V on the SNES. If you are playing Wizardry V for the first time, I would suggest playing the SNES version instead. Especially since the FM-TOWNS version does not provide you with in-game map data for your dumapic spells (i.e. it makes you draw the maps yourself).

Which is another very important thing to stress: this collection, unlike Llylgamyn Saga, does not provide you with any sort of virtual map. Edit: Or does it? Read the fifth post to find out more!

As for Wizardry IV Arrange mode, the story has been changed around and as such none of it has been translated. You also control each of the creatures Werdna can summon to aid him (a party of 6 monsters) whereas in the original you could only summon 3 groups of monsters whom you could not control. I prefer the original gameplay myself but I find it interesting the Japanese wanted to change and embellish the storyline to Wizardry IV. It just so happens to be the most story-oriented Wizardry of the first five and lends itself well to the idea of a remake in general. I’ve always thought it would work well as a movie, particularly as a sequel to the first Wizardry OVA.

Also, do not fret about the audio quality. The PC version of Llylgamyn Saga played horrible MIDI while the PSX and Saturn versions played proper CD quality orchestral music. This being the PC version of New Age of Llylgamyn, one would suspect it would also play MIDI. It does not. It plays MP3 files for music so it sounds much as it should be.

This game was also released on the Playstation and I can’t say anything about that release as I have never been able to track it down. One would suspect this PSX version would employ CD quality audio much like Llylgamyn Saga and so it would sound slightly superior to this game’s MP3 soundtrack. I have no way of verifying that though but you can be sure that I will update this post if I ever acquire the PSX version.

Oh and make sure Werdna summons a lvl.1 priest and then gets into a battle. Otherwise you can’t get out of the first room in Wizardry IV. The priest will cast a light spell during battle so you can see the hidden door in your room.

For those of you in the dark zone, Wizardry IV is a direct sequel to the first Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord. In that game, you were the heroes who ventured to the bottom of the dungeon to kill the evil Werdna and take his amulet. In Wizardry IV, you are evil Werdna, at the bottom of the dungeon, working your way up to reclaim the amulet you lost. Only this dungeon has been vastly changed… and perhaps you've changed as well…

Last edited by mil on July 27th, 2008, 6:07 am, edited 7 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 19th, 2008, 11:37 pm 

Excellent upload Mil!

The link provided to Llylgamyn Saga is for PSX right? Do you happen to have it for PC?

I always wanted to play Wizardry and now it's the perfect chance. =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 20th, 2008, 1:26 am 

Llylgamyn Saga:
PC version
Sega Saturn version
PSX version

But yes, I linked you to the PSX version since the PC port of Llylygamyn Saga plays horrible MIDI. If you are a newcomer to the Wizardry series, you definitely want to experience the stunning orchestral music from either the PSX or Sega Saturn versions of Llylgamyn Saga. Or the music from Story of Llylgamyn for the SNES. Essentially, I'd choose to play either the PSX trilogy or the SNES trilogy based on your musical preferences alone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 20th, 2008, 1:44 am 

The PSX version has dual language too?

Since I own a modded PSX it would be great if it's in english..

EDIT: Nevermind, it was answered in your reviews.. I suppose I would stick with the PSX version, as it seems the better (for me)

EDIT II: I forgot to add, MANY, MANY THANKS mil for the help and the upload!

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 20th, 2008, 2:27 am 

You're welcome, Wushu! Yes, almost all the Wizardry remakes of I-V are dual language. The FM-TOWNS version of Wizardry VI is too.

Sorry folks, looks like I was wrong about this game not providing an automatic in-game map like Llylgamyn Saga does. Pressing R2 on my joypad controller or "s" on my keyboard brings this up:

Image Image

Yep, the same button which brings up the map in Llylgamyn Saga. Why didn't I think of that sooner? That's right folks, you don't even have to make your own maps in this collection either. The game does it for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 20th, 2008, 9:58 am 
Site Admin

My gratitude.

You have it. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 20th, 2008, 1:58 pm 

I'm surprised you didn't talk about the PC Engine versions. Naxat completely remade the first five episodes on Super CD-ROM with revamped graphics that take up two thirds of the screen and (if I remember right) Redbook soundtracks from Hisashi Matsushita.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 20th, 2008, 2:46 pm 

Kaminari: I find the PCE-CD remakes inferior to even the old NES orange and black Wizardry remakes. For one, the music in all of these PCE-CD remakes takes on a much more Eastern feel than the Western medieval setting Wizardry takes place in. That's not to say that the music is bad, just that a large amount of it feels entirely out of place. Secondly, the graphics are more varied and superior in both Story of Llylgamyn and Llylgamyn Saga. And finally, the PCE-CD games don't have a dual language option for the dialogue. Thus, an English audience would benefit more from the other remakes since they provide both the menu commands and storyline events in English.

Not to say that the PCE-CD versions don't have their perks, I just don't recommend them because I don't see them as being among the best representations of the original Wizardry series. Although I do recommend listening to their soundtracks or playing them if you are going through the Wizardry series a second time. Much of the content that is there is very well done, particularly the music.

Last edited by mil on May 20th, 2008, 4:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 20th, 2008, 2:54 pm 
Site Admin

Funny I tried this one last week :

http://www.s-f.co.jp/soft/ds/wizardry/index.htm

... I wish I hadn't though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 20th, 2008, 11:08 pm 

mil wrote:
I find the PCE-CD remakes inferior to even the old NES orange and black Wizardry remakes.

That's really debatable. I enjoyed very much the SFC port (even though I can hardly stand its half-baked pseudo-MIDI soundchip). But comparing the Famicom and the PC Engine versions is seriously unfair -- to say the least. Heh, whatever floats your boat :b

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 21st, 2008, 12:09 am 

Oh I completely agree that the PCE-CD remakes have superior graphics to the NES games. The point I was trying to make is that the small language barrier those games have block an English audience from fully enjoying them. Even Legacy of Llylgamyn, the only NES Wizardry never to be localized, can be played in English if you select the correct options. But certainly, if you know Japanese then by all means the PCE-CD games are a better choice than the NES trilogy. Especially since you can't import characters to and from any of the NES games and at least with the PCE-CD games you can import/export characters from Wizardry I to II. Unfortunately, you cannot export your characters all the way through whole the trilogy for the PCE-CD so that is another reason why I recommend Story of Llylgamyn or Llylgamyn Saga over these games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 20th, 2008, 8:24 am 

Many thanks for the up, I've wanted to try these for a long time now.

The PC version of New Age is crashing on me though. Hrm...I'll mess around with it. Thanks! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 20th, 2008, 7:25 pm 

Oh, I remembered.

Im having an HORRIBLE crash with the savegames in Llylgamyn Saga: I save, exit, and all works ok. but if I terminate the program by force (using task manager) or my computer hangs up, the savegame becomes corrupted., you appear to be dead (or not being at all, I don't remember right now). Also, If you choose NOT to save and your PCs had any status like poison or paralisis, when you theoretically load the saved game you are, like, dead. or something.

So, exiting without saving is bad. But sometimes when you really screw it you just cannot save with all your PCs poisoned and low hp!! Oh, I'm such a newbie to dungeon crawlers..

I restarted the game like easily 20 times.. T_T

Please, if someone can help me I'll be at peace of mind.

EDIT: Could it be related to the "v1.10 patch" mentioned in the translation's readme? I did not apply that patch (not for lazyness, I couldn't find it anywhere. It seems that some major force wants me not to play Wizardry at all.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 21st, 2008, 5:50 am 

Hmm? What version of Llylgamyn Saga are you playing? Care to post any pictures?

Oh, and the saving/reloading in Wizardry and similar dungeon crawling games is slightly counter-intuitive. You probably saved correctly, but did you return to the game and select "Restart Out Party?" If you last saved in the maze, that is what you must do. Otherwise everyone should be back in town in Gilgamesh's tavern.

Are you using Ben Esacove's translation patch? I did not pre-patch the Windows version as far as I recall so yes, you would need to apply the patch first and make sure it is for the full version and not the demo. Again, I really wouldn't recommend playing the Windows version of Llylgamyn Saga. Not only is the midi atrocious but the interface clutters up the screen. The console versions are much more appropriately streamlined and you shouldn't have that problem with them inadvertently screwing up your saves since they're on a memory card.

Quote:
The PC version of New Age is crashing on me though. Hrm...I'll mess around with it. Thanks!
If the problem persists, take pictures of when and where and include what computer and OS you are using. I'm really sorry I couldn't get you guys the PSX version of New Age of Llylgamyn but about the only place I could find it was on underground-gamer and I intensely loathe private trackers.

Last edited by mil on June 23rd, 2008, 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 21st, 2008, 8:13 pm 

mil wrote:
Hmm? What version of Llylgamyn Saga are you playing? Care to post any pictures?

Llylgamyn Saga for Windows (98 I think)

Quote:
Oh, and the saving/reloading in Wizardry and similar dungeon crawling games is slightly counter-intuitive. You probably saved correctly, but did you return to the game and select "Restart Out Party?" If you last saved in the maze, that is what you must do. Otherwise everyone should be back in town in Gilgamesh's tavern.

That must be it. I guess I could've been years trying
to figure how to do it if you hadn't pointed it out. Thank you!

Quote:
Are you using Ben Escove's translation patch?

Yes, that translation. I can't find the patch anywhere on earth (The official upgrade patch, not the translation patch). The translation patch applied is for the full version.

Quote:
I'm really sorry I couldn't get you guys the PSX version of New Age of Llylgamyn but about the only place I could find it was on underground-gamer and I intensely loathe private trackers.

Yeah, private trackers sucks. underground-gamer has ANYTHING though.. I recall getting LOTR vol.1 CD Interplay version for DOS, when I thought I would never ever get it.

I wanted to play PSX version of Llylgamyn Saga but.. My PSX is at a friend's house and my Saturn is unmodded, so the only medium to play it I have is on PC. n.nU

If I can register at underground-gamer I'll leech the PSX New Age of Llylgamyn for the private-tracker-hater people out there ;)