Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: July 23rd, 2017, 8:52 am 

Hello, I like what you are doing kobushi!

A friend of mine and I were going through a set we had gotten online and renaming them to some Tosec standard. The HDM and NFD decision sounds great. HDM I am not familar with but that sounds awesome since it is widely compatible and a generic format. Also while going through what I had I did notice that some games would work in NFD but NOT D88, so again another good choice.

My thoughts is that you can just take what you want to include it in your set, since it sounds like you are going through a huge amount of files, (64K!). Here, all the .hdi and the non-alternates were tested to be working. These files are renamed mostly using the transliteration from http://fullmotionvideo.free.fr/screen/%21title.html. The files I am posting seem large, but keep in mind two things. One I have lots of alternates, so I just renamed them or whatever and put them in. The .hdi s I have been using are probably over large, since I do not know how to determine the needed size of an hdi, nor do I know how to modify the size of an hdi after the fact. I have been installing every game so far that has needed it, and tried to make them auto-boot if there was not already one that did this. The games that were just loose collections of files were put together in an hdi and made to autoboot when possible The most missing company alphabet letters are mostly from 「こ」「て」「ひ」「ほ」「ゆ」「り」since that is pretty much where I had stopped last time any time in this. Also if a game seems to have another disc it is because I included a User Disk since those things can be pain to make and many games will not even be playable without one.

So do what you wish with these, it would be nice if they are helpful in some way.

https://mega.nz/#F!VnZ1yJKT!UtF7vaRpvOFhmc-8uE4u9Q

If there are any issues with my uploaded files tell me please.

To be honest seeing you do this is a bit of a relief since I was kind of getting tired of seeing all the hentai games. :D

edited: 2017 07 24 8 PM - Posted my home link instead of folder link. Updated. Please try this.

Last edited by BurningSteel on July 24th, 2017, 11:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2017, 6:17 pm 

It's not letting me download it, it just takes me to my dashboard. Could you upload them somewhere else?

PostPosted: July 26th, 2017, 5:45 am 

Thanks for the files BurningSteel. Hopefully there will be some new stuff in there. The alternates are no problem, when converted to hdm or nfd, most of them turn out to be identical. Premade user disks are also very useful, so thanks for those.

Almost done with the letter S...

PostPosted: July 28th, 2017, 1:29 am 

kobushi wrote:
Thanks for the files BurningSteel. Hopefully there will be some new stuff in there. The alternates are no problem, when converted to hdm or nfd, most of them turn out to be identical. Premade user disks are also very useful, so thanks for those.

Almost done with the letter S...

Very cool. "T" will probably be massive. But after that you should be near done I would think.

PostPosted: August 1st, 2017, 3:58 pm 

I am debating whether or not to wait until a full archive is up at archive.org. I suppose the final upload would be more organized? Admittedly, uploads so far might be very organized; I have yet to download one of the installments.

PostPosted: August 1st, 2017, 5:26 pm 

The archive is already organized. You can access every individual game by every individual developer (from A to S).

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2017, 9:46 am 

I phrased that completely wrong.

I'm actually wondering about seeding, as I hope to do my part in keeping this alive. (There's going to be a torrent available through archive.org, right?) Will I be able to go straight from the Mega download to seeding, or will there be organizational changes--things renamed, added, removed, or moved around--before that happens?

Also, JDownloader fails to parse the link... I guess the folder is simply too big, hehe.

Kobushi, you are the man.

PostPosted: August 5th, 2017, 7:39 am 

Lurky wrote:
I'm actually wondering about seeding, as I hope to do my part in keeping this alive. (There's going to be a torrent available through archive.org, right?) Will I be able to go straight from the Mega download to seeding, or will there be organizational changes--things renamed, added, removed, or moved around--before that happens?

Remember, this is still the beta set. The torrent on archive.org will be mostly the same, but there will be some more fixes and name changes along the way, as well as new stuff like manuals added at the end. I will release a ROMVault datfile so that you can clean your collection and join the archive torrent at a high percentage.

Lurky wrote:
Kobushi, you are the man.

Thanks 8)

PostPosted: August 5th, 2017, 7:40 am 

PC-9801 update.
https://mega.nz/#F!jIgkXQDY!hE3FQNWl77DkzKErGdz35g

Updated folders:
MicroProse Japan\F-15 Strike Eagle II (Scenario Disk)
MicroProse Japan\Silent Service

New folders:
Striker
Studio Angel
Studio B-Room
Studio Milk
Studio Mobius
Studio Offside
Studio Twinkle*
Succubus
Sunsoft
Sur De Wave
Swat
Synchronicity
System House Oh!
System Sacom**
SystemSoft

The letter S is done!

*When starting the Grounseed hdi, you need to set 86-board sound manually before starting a new game. In the main menu, select the 4th option (音源選択), then select the 86 sound source (86音源). This is highly recommended, because the Grounseed soundtrack is some of the best music on the PC98. RIP Ryu Umemoto.

**System Sacom released one of the first add-on sound boards for the PC-9801. It was called the AMD-98, and it used 3 PSG chips (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_I ... _AY-3-8910) instead of FM synthesis. Although quickly supplanted by NEC's official FM boards, a small number of games supported the AMD-98.
-These are the known games with AMD-98 support.
    Brown's Run (System Sacom)
    Dome (System Sacom)
    Highway Star (System Sacom)
    Marchen Veil I (System Sacom)
    Marchen Veil II (System Sacom)
    Zone (System Sacom)
    Relics (Bothtec)
    Thexder (Game Arts)

PostPosted: August 13th, 2017, 4:25 am 

PC-9801 update.

Updated folders:
ASCII\Bakasuka Wars

New folders:
T&E Soft
T2
Taito
Takeru
Takeru Project
Taki Corporation
Teardrop
Techno Grard
Tecno Soft
Tect House
Teichiku
Telenet Japan
Tengu Pro
Tenshindo
Tensui Software
Tetratech
TGL

PostPosted: August 20th, 2017, 10:17 am 

PC-9801 update.

New folders:
Thinking Rabbit
Tiare
Tierheit
Tips
Tokuma Shoten
Tomboy
Tonkin House
Trush
Tsukamoto Yoshihiko Jimusho
Twilight Express
Twin Soft

The letter T is done!

PostPosted: August 28th, 2017, 4:26 am 

PC-9801 update.

Updated folders:
Telenet Japan\Zan II - Kagerou no Toki

New folders:
Ucom
U-Me Soft
Umitsuki Seisakusho
U-Office

Vi Vi an
Victor Entertainment
Victor Musical Industries
Ving
Virgin House

Warlock
Wave Train
Wendy Magazine
Westside
Wild Life
Wishbone
Witch's
Witty Wolf
Wiz
Wolf Team

Xtal Soft
XYZ

You-en-tai

Zain Soft
Zeit
Zenryutsu
Zigo Watt
ZyX

RETAIL SOFTWARE IS DONE!

Doujin is coming next.

PostPosted: August 29th, 2017, 12:38 am 

That's a fucking huge milestone man. Congratulations!

What are your plans for including doujin software into the set? Will they be in a specific doujin subfolder and then organized by creator/studio? Just curious.

Also wanted to make sure you checked whatever set of games you've got with this pretty decently sized set from Perfect Dark, if you hadn't already: https://mega.nz/#F!N5xXFSCC!DkC0mDgLPHp ... Q!osYwgaaD

Might be some dumps you didn't have yet in there.

Regardless, congrats again man. You've done a fucking great job here.

PostPosted: August 29th, 2017, 9:57 am 

Thanks kuoushi. Hope you guys enjoy it. Please let me know if you discover any problems. At some point I need to collect and post my notes about certain disks which require special handling.

kuoushi wrote:
What are your plans for including doujin software into the set? Will they be in a specific doujin subfolder and then organized by creator/studio? Just curious.

I'm working on the doujin stuff now, but I'm still not 100% sure about how to organize it. One problem is that there are a lot of mystery disks, where the creator/circle is not known exactly. So there's a lot of digging into the readme docs and even the game code sometimes to find an author credit. Another problem is that doujin circles frequently collaborated with each other, making it difficult to do a strict 1:1 creator->game hierarchy. And maybe it's splitting hairs, but there's also the question of what actually counts as "doujin", as opposed to simple freeware or homebrew software. Doujin was/is a unique culture of its own, and that makes me reluctant to label a Space Invaders clone from 1983 or whatever as "doujin".

Quote:
Also wanted to make sure you checked whatever set of games you've got with this pretty decently sized set from Perfect Dark, if you hadn't already: https://mega.nz/#F!N5xXFSCC!DkC0mDgLPHp ... Q!osYwgaaD

Sure did, I have downloaded it and merged it into the pile. Thanks again for finding this.

PostPosted: August 29th, 2017, 3:39 pm 

A feast for the eyes and the hard drives T_T

I agree that dōjin classification is not an easy task. If one considers dōjin circles as indie devs vs. big names, then a lot of Japanese studios of the time were actually independant despite being very famous. Personally I think dōjin refers more to the later, post-1996 indie scene (after the 16-bit console and computer era came to a commercial end).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next