Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: July 3rd, 2012, 8:33 pm 

Impossible Mission (of Epyx origin) is currently on Yahoo. Nice to see it confirmed that it really exists as I'm not entirely sure how accurate X1 documentation on the web is
500 Yen currently and less than a week to go - who's stepping up to make it available :P

PostPosted: July 6th, 2012, 7:34 pm 

Update:
New set, games are now in tape, disk and turbo folders, + unsorted game packs (probably with doubles, I also realized after the upload I included one turbo game twice). Some more games might belong in the turbo folder, the web sources don't seem particulary reliable either though (e.g. Ultima IV boots fine with standard X1 config). Some "RAW" stuff I didn't really look at (demos etc.) is also included.

Get at
http://www.ziddu.com/download/19855242/X1_set.rar.html

mirrored at
http://rapidgator.net/file/23313523/X1_set.rar.html

Enjoy

Last edited by Starscream the 2nd on July 9th, 2012, 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: July 8th, 2012, 1:05 am 

Thank you very much, Starscream!
I was so surprised and impressed, because that contains some programs I made when I was a teenager.
I really felt I got on the time-machine and saw old friends who had gone...
I can't stop tears, thank you!

PostPosted: July 8th, 2012, 3:42 pm 

Many thanks, Starscream. Your contributions are much appreciated.

PostPosted: July 9th, 2012, 1:15 pm 

turboZII wrote:
I was so surprised and impressed, because that contains some programs I made when I was a teenager.

Now that's nice. I guess you be considered an X1 celebrity then, at least by the standards of the board :) .
It's a shame that X1 documentation isn't in such a good state as FM7/PC88 with their databases. Hopefully, there'll be more scans of Japanese magazines around so possibly some gaps can be filled. For example, I recently discovered a Dempa Ad in one, which confirms that Bump'n Jump was released for X1.

PostPosted: August 8th, 2012, 12:02 am 

Message for Repoman or any other with a Sharp X1 computer:
How is your Dip Switch SW1 configuration in your X1 computers? I'm sure my X1 Turbo Z switches configuration for the SW1 is wrong, and any X1 emulator or even japanese websites seems to say anything about it, so I'm totally lost. :(
Can anybody help me? Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: November 1st, 2012, 2:23 pm 
Starscream the 2nd wrote:
Update:
New set, games are now in tape, disk and turbo folders, + unsorted game packs (probably with doubles, I also realized after the upload I included one turbo game twice). Some more games might belong in the turbo folder, the web sources don't seem particulary reliable either though (e.g. Ultima IV boots fine with standard X1 config). Some "RAW" stuff I didn't really look at (demos etc.) is also included.

Get at
http://www.ziddu.com/download/19855242/X1_set.rar.html

mirrored at
http://rapidgator.net/file/23313523/X1_set.rar.html

Enjoy

Can't download from them. I want the Mediafire re-upload, please. :wink:

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2012, 10:14 am 

Does anyone have the early Enix RPG Parallel World? It appears to have been released first for X1 and then for PC-88, but either version will do.

The X1_list.txt in Starscream's set lists the title, but I can't find it in the files. Is the txt just a general release list, disregarding of which files are in the package?

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2012, 9:37 pm 

Yes, it's just a general release list.

PostPosted: January 18th, 2013, 9:59 am 

turboZII wrote:

Wow! That's really cool. It's rare to find someone who developed games on Japanese computer. Well, obviously there were lots of developers for Japanese computers, but it's not easy tracking them down.

Were you a hobbyist developer? Did you work on commercial games?

I would love to hear more! In fact, I think I'm going to PM you.

Post subject: Re: Sharp X1 Uploads
PostPosted: January 18th, 2013, 1:08 pm 

Hi Sketcz,

Please don't be disappointed, I was just an amateur programmer
and I've never worked for commercial staff.

In 1980s and 1990s, many computer magazines were published in Japan,
which provided platforms for amateur programmers' works.
Of course, the programs were presented as codes with some B/W screen shots,
but enough exciting and entertaining.
It was really wonderful computer culture that lost in 21st century, I think.

My original programs were sometimes printed on the magazine and got me rich, a little bit :wink:
Starscream's sets contains my original works,
that means some people had INPUT and RAN my programs... (hopefully enjoyed!)
That's what I was impressed and happy with,
because I could never have chance to know any response for my works at that time.

Don't try to specific my works in that sets, please!
Just embarrassing :oops: , and some may reveal my real name :shock:

PostPosted: January 18th, 2013, 1:37 pm 

turboZII wrote:
My original programs were sometimes printed on the magazine and got me rich, a little bit :wink:

That´s pitty, so you have a Cessna instead of a Boeing 737 as private plane. ; )

PostPosted: January 18th, 2013, 2:00 pm 

Anna_Wu wrote:
turboZII wrote:

That´s pitty, so you have a Cessna instead of a Boeing 737 as private plane. ; )

Hi Anna,

Yes, yes, and my old cessna's name is Solvalou, made in 1984 :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqA4DnOMaiU

PostPosted: January 18th, 2013, 2:49 pm 

turboZII wrote:
Please don't be disappointed, I was just an amateur programmer and I've never worked for commercial staff.

I'm not disappointed! Even if you were just a hobbyist programmer who had some games featured in magazines, that's still a respectable achievement. Significantly, you were there at the time, and can offer insight into things we might not otherwise know about. Would you describe your work as "doujin soft"?

Let me put it another way. In Europe, where I'm from, there were magazine type-ins throughout the 1980s and during the early 1990s. Readers had to sit and type them in, line by line. At first simple games in BASIC, and then bigger and more complex games. A French magazine once featured a game over 4 issues, it was so big. And it would have taken days to type in.

This month in Retro Gamer magazine, there was a feature on magazine type-ins. It was a fascinating article, with interview material from magazine editors, and some of those who wrote the games. The author did a lot of great research.

By virtue of the fact that Japanese computer history is in the Japanese language, it's much more difficult for us in the west to find the information, unless we're reasonably fluent speakers. I studied Japanese while at school in the UK, but I never took it far enough.

Even if you only ever created hobbyist games, you can still reveal to us what it was like at the time. Information on doujin games is difficult to find in English.

You do not have to answer these, but here's some things I'm curious to know. Please ignore them if they are too personal.

* What years did this take place?

* What computer languages did you use? What computers did you work on?

* Do you have photos from the time, of you working on an old computer?

* Which magazines featured your games? Are there scans online of the magazine covers?

* Were your games only printed in the magazines, or were they included on cassette tapes and floppy disks on the front of magazines? Did magazines even provide tapes and disks of user programs in Japan?

* When you submitted your work to magazines, was it on a cassette/disk, or did you print it out? If you printed it out, did it use thermal paper, or was it a dotmatrix ink printer?

* How easy was it to get work featured in magazines? Did the magazines reject a lot of entries?

* Please describe the process of submitting a game.

* What were the magazine staff like to speak with? Do you have any correspondence letters from them?

* Did you know or speak with any other hobbyist programmers? Were there clubs you could visit? BBS bulletin boards? Newsletters with correspondence?

* In the UK, readers claim that a lot of the time they would type in a program, but it wouldn't work due to errors. Did you ever type in a program from a magazine and it didn't work?

* Did you have any favourite amateur games which you found in magazines?

* What do you do now? Are you in software? Was having your amateur work in magazines useful to you, for example on a CV, or was it just fun to show your friends?

* When you were sitting down programming your hobbyist games, what could you see outside your window? What 1980s music did you listen to while programming?

* Have you ever heard of the doujin game Umi no Mukou (海のむこう) by Tsukka Software?

* Have you ever heard of Sorceriman (ソーサリマン)?

* Are you surprised that there are people in the west interested by the history of Japanese computers?

* In Japan, are there those who are interested by European computer history, involving the ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64 and Amstrad CPC?

I could ask questions all day. There's plenty of valuable, first-hand information that you might know.

I'm just pleased that you're happy to visit the forum and speak about your time.

PostPosted: March 7th, 2014, 3:15 am 

Anyone have the original ThunderForce rom for the Sharp X1?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next