Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:39 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: January 13th, 2007, 4:41 pm 

Note: this thread has been re-created using information that was learnt from an old thread. Many thanks to rolins for the tips on setup2...

1... Download the FM Towns MS-DOS 6.2 L10 +3 boot disk from http://www.jcec.co.uk/games/Towns/DOS62.zip.

2... Start Unz and immediately select Settings --> Property...

3... Click the Inputs tab, change "Input port - Port 1" to None and "Input port - Port 2" to None as these will effect keys / movement.

4... Click the HDD tab, click Mount(0)..., click the "Look in:" drop down then select the path of where you want to create the HDD file, type in HDD for the "File name:", click Open and then Yes.

5... You will now be prompted to select the desired size of the HDD file, do so then click OK and then OK again (see image below).

6... Select File --> Reset, select Drive0 --> Insert..., locate the FM Towns DOS 6.2 floppy disk image and double-click on it.

7... Once you are at the DOS prompt type setup2 and then press <Enter> (see image below).

8... Press <Enter>, move to D: then press <Enter>, select the 2nd option then press <Enter>, select the 1st option then press <Enter> (see image below).

9... Press <Tab>, press <Enter> and then press <Y>. You will now be presented with the following screen.

10... Press <Enter> on Drv. No. 1 and you will see 5 columns here relating to the HDD.
a) In the first column press <Enter> then type HDD for the label and press <Enter>.
b) You will now be in second column; press <Enter>, select MS-DOS for the OS type and press <Enter>.
c) You will now be in the third column; press the <right arrow> so that you move to the fourth column. Press <Enter>, select the 2nd option (set as active) and press <Enter>.
d) You will now be in the fifth column; press <Enter> then hold down the <right arrow> until all the space is assigned and then press <Enter>.

11... Press <F3> and the screen should look like this.

12... Press <F3> twice and then press <Y>. Unz will now reset and boot back to DOS prompt.

13... Type format d: /s and press <Enter>.

14... Press <Y> when prompted and finally press <enter> when you see the following.

You will now see the HDD info and have a bootable HDD file. You can also view the HDD file by doing the following:

1... Type d: and press <Enter>.
2... Type dir and press <Enter>.

:wink:

Last edited by DamienD on January 8th, 2008, 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 8th, 2008, 12:13 pm 

Thank you, I will keep a copy of this page in case the crash happen again. touch wood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 8th, 2008, 12:37 pm 
Site Admin

Great post, thanks (is first pic link broken ?) !

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 8th, 2008, 4:35 pm 

well the first pics is not need since I know what to do.

well I kept the guide above as a pic on my pc.
here is it, I make the pics of this thread with snagit
click on the small pic and it will load the full-sized pic.

there is a bug for unz, if you insert fm towns dos6.22 bootdisk it will not start up, just replace all the files for unz and you can kept unz.ini which can be use to store you setting.

Last edited by zblack on January 9th, 2008, 5:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 8th, 2008, 5:08 pm 

Silly http://imageshack.us/ :x

Luckily I e-mailed the complete original post + images to myself... Did this with my other FM Towns "help" threads as well just to be safe :wink:

Image updated in the 1st post...

Last edited by DamienD on January 8th, 2008, 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 8th, 2008, 5:14 pm 

well my keyboard will not move and I cannot seem to move to d: after I run setup2. but if I play branmaker 2 posted by ashura is work.

so can some one give me a 40mb bootable hdd, please?

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 8th, 2008, 5:38 pm 

zblack wrote:
damn, I could not move the keyboard to d: but I work for other.

Yeah, I should have really have put that in the instructions...

You need to configure the : key in Unz first as <shift> + <:> {to the right of the <L> key on a US / UK keyboard} doesn't give a :... it gives a + :cry:

I usually just change the <' / @> {UK keyboard} or <" / '> {US keyboard} key to be : instead as it doesn't seem to be used... So, to do this in Unz follow these instructions:

... Start Unz and select Settings --> Properties.
... Select the Keyboard tab and click the Change key configuration button next to JIS keyboard.
... Double-click on 0x28, then press the <' / @> {UK keyboard} key or <" / '> {US keyboard} key, click OK and OK again.

Last edited by DamienD on January 8th, 2008, 5:56 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 8th, 2008, 5:45 pm 

zblack wrote:
so can some one give me a 40mb bootable hdd, please?

Before the forum got nuked, I originally had a thread which contained a link to HDDs that I created.

There were a 50MB / 100MB / 250MB HDD all formated and set to active. I've just uploaded the file again, here is the link

http://www.filefactory.com/file/a68419/

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 8th, 2008, 6:19 pm 

I remember spending hours trying to figure this out before. Good times.

I still have the old tutorial I made with the pictures, just incase this thread also gets lost. But I need to updated it with tidbits about the CMOS.dat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 9th, 2008, 5:24 am 

Thank you DamienD.

Last edited by zblack on January 9th, 2008, 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 9th, 2008, 10:35 am 

well anyone got the cd driver for fm towns, not sure if I can use oakcdrom.sys and dos6.22 mscdex from my pc.

it seems the dos6.22 bootdisk we get from jcec.

well I know why my pc arrow key cannot be use must use the keypad near the numlock.

assign 0x4d, 0x4df, 0x50 and 0x51 and the arrow key will move.
assign numpad8 as up arrow, assign numpad4 as left arrow, assign numpad2 as down arrow and assign numpad6 to right arrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 9th, 2008, 5:23 pm 

zblack wrote:
well I know why my pc arrow key cannot be use must use the keypad near the numlock.

assign 0x4d, 0x4df, 0x50 and 0x51 and the arrow key will move.
assign numpad8 as up arrow, assign numpad4 as left arrow, assign numpad2 as down arrow and assign numpad6 to right arrow.

Hmmm, my stardard arrow keys don't work either unless I do:

DamienD wrote:
3... Click the Inputs tab, change "Input port - Port 1" to None and "Input port - Port 2" to None as these will effect keys / movement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 9th, 2008, 7:24 pm 

zblack wrote:
well anyone got the cd driver for fm towns, not sure if I can use oakcdrom.sys and dos6.22 mscdex from my pc.

I've done some investigation :wink:

... Basically I launched Unz using the floppy image D62P3.BIN.
... Once everything had finished loading I took a look at the CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT using the TYPE command. Here's what is displayed in each:

CONFIG.SYS:

AUTOEXEC.BAT:

... Note the lines in the CONFIG.SYS regarding OAK0.SYS and OAK1.SYS. It points to D:\DOS though...
... Note the line in the AUTOEXEC.BAT regarding MSCDEX.EXE which is stored in A:\DOS...
... Now, there is a file HD01.H1 in DOS62.ZIP so I extracted this and mounted it in Unz via Settings --> Property... --> the HDD tab.
... I then ran SETUP2, added in the HD, saved and rebooted.
... This time all the drivers for the CD-ROM loaded successfully as Unz can see HD01.H1 as D: drive.
... I then took a look at the space left on A: but unfortunately there isn't enough to copy OAK0.SYS and OAK1.SYS.
... I looked at the structure of the floppy image D62P3.BIN and studied the CONFIG.SYS plus AUTOEXEC.BAT. There is a directory named BIN that contains LHA.EXE, LHE.COM, ZCOPY.COM, CMOSUTY.EXE, EDLIN.EXE, FS.COM, DS.EXE and nothing is loaded in the CONFIG.SYS or AUTOEXEC.BAT.
... I changed into the A:\BIN directory and deleted the files LHA.EXE, LHE.COM and DS.EXE.
... Now there is enough space on the floppy image D62P3.BIN so I copied D:\DOS\OAK0.SYS and D:\DOS\OAK1.SYS --> A:\DOS.
... Final thing to do is modify the lines in the CONFIG.SYS regarding D:\DOS\OAK0.SYS and D:\DOS\OAK1.SYS.
... I then ran SETUP2, pressed <enter> on the config.sys icon and <enter> again so this screen is displayed:

... Scrolled down to the OAK0.SYS line and pressed <enter> twice. I could now move along the line, deleted D: and then pressed <enter>.
... Scrolled down to the OAK1.SYS line and pressed <enter> twice. I could now move along the line, deleted D: and then pressed <enter>.
... I then pressed <F3> and then Y to save the CONFIG.SYS file.
... Rebooted again, unmounted the HD01.H1 file and now everything loads as it should from the floppy image D62P3.BIN.

Here's is the modified D62P3.BIN file if anybody would like it to save you doing the above:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/e4f706/

... Next, by studying the MSCDEX.EXE line in the AUTOEXEC.BAT you can see that the CD-ROM drive letter is assigned Q:
... I used Daemon Tools to mount an .ISO file, typed Q: and then DIR. Files were listed ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 10th, 2008, 11:53 am 

well cool, you have fixed what jcec.co.uk did not and finally making a bootable dos6.2 floppy for fm towns and it can load our cd-rom. this means we can just copy the cd drivers and mscdex to our bootable hdi that you posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 11th, 2008, 9:52 pm 

Hmmm, seems that I was incorrect :roll:

The standard floppy image D62P3.BIN does load CD-ROM drivers and works fine. Of course it's not due to OAK0.SYS or OAK1.SYS as they don't exist in the floppy image, it's because of the following:

CONFIG.SYS
DEVICE=\DOS\CDDRV.SYS /D:TOWNS_CD /U0:0

AUTOEXEC.BAT
\DOS\MSCDEX /D:TOWNS_CD /K /M:8 /L:Q > NUL

Anyway, I've spent the last few hours trying to load CD-ROM drivers using OAK1.SYS but failed :cry:

I found this site which lists examples of CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files for Towns-OS V2.1L51, MS-DOS V6.2L10 and Windows 95: http://homepage3.nifty.com/vtowns/spc/startup.html

Unfortunately none of these work though... I keep getting the following error when loading MSCDEX (highlighted by the white background):

I can guess what this error means. As I'm sure most of you know, usually with MS-DOS you need to have the exact same name of the CD-ROM in the CONFIG.SYS plus AUTOEXEC.BAT lines and it's represented after /D:

I then noticed that in all the CONFIG.SYS examples plus in the floppy image there isn't anything after the /D: for the line OAK1.SYS while in the AUTOEXEC.BAT there is /D:TOWNS_CD for the line MSCDEX...

I thought "Yes, this will definitely work if I add /D:TOWNS_CD to the OAK1.SYS line in the CONFIG.SYS but unfortunately it still doesn't work... I have no idea as to why???

Another thing, SMARTDrive doesn't load at all because of something to do with HIMEM.SYS and XMS. Maybe something to do with the version, tried loading EMM386.EXE but this didn't make a difference... See the error when loading SMARTDRV (highlighted by the white background):

Anyway, I've now made another modified D62P3.BIN floppy image REM'ing out the OAK0.SYS plus OAK1.SYS lines in the CONFIG.SYS, removing the "> NUL" in the MSCDEX line so that you can see it load and finally REM'ing out the SMARTDRV line in the AUTOEXEC.BAT. This is how each file now looks:

CONFIG.SYS
DEVICE=\DOS\HIMEM.SYS /LIM:NEW /TESTMEM:OFF
rem DEVICE=\DOS\EMM386.EXE ON RAM
DOS=HIGH,UMB
rem DEVICEHIGH=\DOS\SETVER.EXE
DEVICEHIGH=\DOS\KKCFUNC.SYS
rem DEVICE=\DOS\OAK0.SYS
rem DEVICE=\DOS\OAK1.SYS /O1 /S0 /H1 /K0 /R1 /M2 /B1 /D:
DEVICE=\DOS\CDDRV.SYS /D:TOWNS_CD /U0:0
DEVICE=\DOS\CDISC.SYS
rem DEVICEHIGH=\DOS\CTL.SYS
rem DEVICEHIGH=\DOS\35MODRV.EXE /U4
rem DEVICE=\DOS\RAMDRIVE.SYS 31744 256 /E
rem DEVICE=\DOS\MOUSE.SYS
rem DEVICE=\DOS\ESCP.SYS
rem BUFFERS=8
DEVICE=\DOS\TMICM.SYS /U0
FILES=30
LASTDRIVE=Z:

AUTOEXEC.BAT
@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $P$G
SET PATH=A:\DOS;A:\BIN
\DOS\MSCDEX /D:TOWNS_CD /K /M:8 /L:Q
rem \DOS\SMARTDRV A B D+ F+ 2048

Just for information, this is what the successfull loading of MSCDEX without "> NUL" looks like (highlighted by the white background):

Here is the link to the new modified D62P3.BIN floppy image: http://www.filefactory.com/file/42de1d/