Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:13 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: April 19th, 2011, 4:20 am 

from the HG101 blog:
Quote:
Steven "surasshu" Velema and Ken "coda" Snyder, two non-Japanese composers, love this style of music so much that they created their own tribute album, similar to Atushi Fukai's numerous "Project" albums. Titled "Tree of Knowledge, it comes complete with an authentic late 90s Japanese website at http://yogurtbox.com/, along with a made-up plot, screenshots and character artwork, under the pretense of being a long lost game. The tracklist consists of an opening theme, a couple of general songs, and a theme for each of girls, balancing nicely between the peppy songs and the darker ones. It's quite good stuff, and anyone with a thing for FM synth - if you grew up with a Genesis or an Adlib capable sound card on your PC and dig it - will definitely enjoy it. It can be had for $10 as a digital download or $12 on a CD, and will be releasing on May 1.

This looks really cool. The composers have cited the YU-NO music as a major inspiration.

They did a good job with the website, too. Check out the Youtube vid (the PC98 never used cassette tapes, but whatever).
edit: Huh, actually there was a cassette tape interface waaaay back in the early 80s, the PC-9801-03. There were even games for it.

The album cover looks awesome.

Last edited by kobushi on May 6th, 2011, 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 21st, 2011, 10:25 pm 

"Eroge Feeling!"

Sounds great. I can certainly hear the Umemoto inspiration. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 6th, 2011, 12:11 am 

I bought the album.

It's GREAT.

As a bonus, the album includes several background pictures and character portraits from the fictional game (they have a game-like flash intro on the webpage now, you can see them there).

The background and cover art by Jordan Chewning is fantastic. There's something about the character portraits that doesn't feel quite right, but the overall package is superb.

As I listen to the music and look at the art, my mind starts to imagine the story from this "long-lost game"... it's a great experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 9th, 2011, 8:17 am 
Site Admin

Really impressive project :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 26th, 2011, 3:43 am 

Why don't we contact them, and make the fictional game to a real one? Just like the Tokugawa Dream. Going to use Turbo C++ for programming. There are many art utilities as well. I always like oportunities like this. What do you think?

EDIT: Okay, so I have sent both coda and surasshu an e-mail. I also tweeted surasshu. Let's wait for their reply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 26th, 2011, 11:50 am 

MkIISR wrote:
Why don't we contact them, and make the fictional game to a real one? Just like the Tokugawa Dream. Going to use Turbo C++ for programming. There are many art utilities as well. I always like oportunities like this. What do you think?

EDIT: Okay, so I have sent both coda and surasshu an e-mail. I also tweeted surasshu. Let's wait for their reply.

I would be willing to collaborate but I suffer from serious lack of (free) time.. Good luck!

EDIT: I wonder.. being one more eroge game.. will it be different from the other billion eroge already available? They are.. uhmm.. kinda all the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 26th, 2011, 1:27 pm 

wushu wrote:
EDIT: I wonder.. being one more eroge game.. will it be different from the other billion eroge already available? They are.. uhmm.. kinda all the same.

Then let's make it something like Yu-No! Should be ambitious. If we can't make it, it, unfortunately, goes down the route of the type of eroge you're talking about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 31st, 2011, 12:37 pm 

No response. Oh well.