Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 3:59 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2014, 12:44 am 

This might not warrant its own thread, but I've got a couple questions. You see, I've recently started a little project of mine. It's a compilation of soundtracks from each installment in Zoom's Genocide series (including ports). So far, the X68000 and PC-Engine versions of the original Genocide as well as the X68000 (internal synth), SNES, and DOS releases of Genocide 2 have given me no trouble at all. As for the other versions, well, there are some issues.

First, I've noticed that, in the MT-32 version of Hoot's Genocide 2 set, the first track "Opening 1" plays the internal synth version, which uses only the YM2151, even though the MT-32 should be playing as well. I imagine this is fixable, as the rest of the tracks in that set play correctly. ("Omake" and the "X Day" tracks don't use the MT-32 anyway, as far as I know.)

Second, I've notice that some of the music data in Genocide 2's special 8-minute demo is a bit different than what went into the final game. (Take the Zoom logo theme, for example.) I've already recorded the BGM used in the demo through an emulator, but it ended up sounding somewhat different that what Hoot produces, and I'd rather not release it like that when it comes time for me to finalize everything.

Since it uses the same sound driver as the full game, which obviously already has a Hoot set, I assume it wouldn't be that difficult to rip the sound data from the demo and create a new set for it. However, I'm ignorant on this matter as I have next to no idea of the specifics of ripping/creating a set. I'm willing to do the work; I just need to know how.

And third, since Hoot appears to support FM Towns games, I suppose it's also possible to create a set for the Genocide Square compilation, yet I feel compelled to ask this since G^2 uses the YM2612 and Ricoh RF5C68 chips, while all the existing FM Towns sets are Falcom games that utilize the YM3438. That and the fact that, again, as of now I don't have the knowledge on how to create such a set.

I know that the game has a sound test, but it doesn't include the opening and ending themes from each game, plus any unused tracks that might exist (save for G1's "Confusion") are unlisted. While I could record the opening and ending tracks while playing the game itself, the emulator moves through the demos a bit too fast and thus cuts the tracks short. I've tried setting the CPU clock to a lower setting (4MHz is the lowest it will allow, yet when set that low the music slows down with it) but I can't seem to get it just right.

So, any advice, guys?

Edit: By the way, does anyone know how to boot Genocide 2 directly into MIDI mode? I haven't had any luck finding that out.
Edit 2: Never mind about the previous edit. I figured it out. You have to hold the shift key as the sound driver is loaded.

PostPosted: March 14th, 2014, 11:16 pm 

I got around to extracting the files from Genocide 2's special 8-minute demo today. It contains a lot of the same files as Genocide 2 itself, save for the fact that it has no directories or any CMU files that G2 had it its music folder. I'd get right on constructing a new entry in Hoot's zoom.xml file, however I still need some details on how to do so. Particularly, I haven't yet figured out which files I'll need to include (aside from the ones in common with G2, like MUSIC.DAT, TONE.DAT, etc...) and what to make the offset values for each file.

Here's the download link to the files I extracted. It should save some time from having to use Human68k to copy them from the floppy then to the hard disk.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/88446209/Extracted%20Files/Genocide%202%20Special%20Demo.7z

Also, to reiterate, I still need some help with editing the MIDI version of the original Genocide 2 set, as it plays the version of "Opening 1" that's used if the sound driver is booted into "Internal" mode and not "Internal & MIDI".

Would anyone be so kind as to help me out with this project? I'd be very grateful even for some meager information.