Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:28 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: September 6th, 2013, 12:39 am 

Hi,

When I try to play the MT-32 version of a game (Parodius Da, Akumajo Dracula on X68000, the "Munt, MT-32 simuation" versions), hoot crashes: access violation exception in mt32sound.dll.

If I don't put the mt32sound.dll in the hoot directory, there is either no sound or the same sound as a non MT-32 version, but no crash.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

PostPosted: September 6th, 2013, 1:12 am 

No crashes here... Stupid question, but do you have the control roms (MT32_CONTROL.ROM, MT32_PCM.ROM)?

I hear hoot... doesn't do the greatest job of MT-32 to begin with, but that was a while ago. Wonder if that's changed at all... I have no idea how MT-32 is supposed to sound. The "MT-32 simulation" for Akumajou Dracula (X68000) sounds alright*.

* i take that back, this is akumajou special time

PostPosted: September 6th, 2013, 2:28 am 

Ah, it works now, I found another version of MT32_CONTROL.ROM: there are two versions, the non patched MT32_CONTROL.1987-10-07.v1.07.ROM and the patched MT32_CONTROL.1988-09-30.vX.XX-patched.ROM. I was using the non patched version which makes hoot crash, now it works with the patched version.
Thanks for the answer.

The only thing which is missing is jump backward/forward in the music, too bad hoot doesn't do that...

But yes, MT-32 seems to have problems in hoot, Vampire Killer from Akumajo Dracula (MT-32 simulation version) has obvious bugs on my installation, someone recorded the track from MT-32 hardware and it sounds different http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60gIECQYfvo

PostPosted: September 6th, 2013, 4:16 am 

Wow, didn't know there were two versions of the main control ROM. Very helpful, thanks.

Yeah, even the old hoot... page on snesmusic warns that MT-32 support is poor. With Akumajou X68000 in particular, MT-32 and SC-55 recordings are even in the game's printed album, so you have an easy way of telling.

Vermouth support, from what I understand, isn't much better.

PostPosted: September 6th, 2013, 7:29 pm 

The Munt version built into Hoot seems to be very old (from 2005 I believe). A shame because Munt has evolved a lot since that time. You can still install a recent version of Munt (driver or app) and use it as a standalone synth. You'll just have to configure Hoot to point to the correct MIDI device.

Vermouth is a GM soundfont emulator. It uses the good old TiMidity patches, which are not too bad but can't compare with an SC-55.

PostPosted: October 12th, 2013, 7:36 pm 

Does anyone have an updated version of mt32sound.dll? I've been told that there is one version that includes improvements from the MUNT 1.X.0 versions.
I normally use the driver, but for my case I'm seeking to use it internally in MUNT.