Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:54 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: August 30th, 2013, 2:40 pm 

Hi,

I just discovered and LOVE PC-98/PC-88/X68000 music, is there a way to go backward/foward or jump to a certain time while playing these files?

I am using hoot from snesmusic.org/hoot/v2/ with the hoot.joshw.info files. It works great but I see no way to fast forward/backward/jump in hoot, is there another way to play these files (hoot-equivalent Winamp plugin?) so that it's possible?

Thanks.

PostPosted: August 30th, 2013, 8:51 pm 

Nope.

Not sure if there are other players but you can record and save as Wav files.

システム(S) --> WAVE出力(W)

PostPosted: August 31st, 2013, 2:20 am 

Thanks for the answer, I have used the wav recording function successfully (converted the 55.4KHz output file with Audacity).

Actually there is another player, the S98 winamp plugin (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=986) which works great too. It plays its own file format .s98, not the hoot files, and there is an archive of .s98 files at s98.joshw.info. The xxx.joshw.info sites have all sorts of great music archives, described at http://www.hcs64.com/mboard/forum.php?showthread=26929, including the big hoot archive.

In fact the hoot archive is far bigger than the .s98 archive, and hoot seems to be the gold standard for all that retro music, so it would be really great if hoot implemented random access in a music track (jump backward/forward)... since hoot is updated very regularly, this doesn't seem impossible -- any chance the author might be interested in adding that?

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2013, 4:27 pm 

PMD (.m etc) and FMP (.ovi etc) files can be played with the FMPMD plugin for Winamp. It requires the PMDWin and WinFMP libraries.

MDX files can be played with the MDX plugin for Winamp. It requires the X68Sound library (available at the same site).

That should cover most of your bases.

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2013, 6:14 pm 

FMPMD2000 MUSIC PLAYER
for PMD (.m etc) and FMP (.ovi etc) files

http://c60.fmp.jp/download.html

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2013, 11:15 pm 

Is there a FAQ for all of this somewhere?

My impression (I am new to this) is that hoot and its file format(s) is the most up to date and actively maintained player/format, and S98 seems to be older and made obsolete by hoot. Is this correct?

As for FMP/FMD, I am not sure. My understanding is that PMD stands for Profesionnal Music Driver and the PMD format is a way to encode and store the data which is then, while the game is running, interpreted and sent to pilot the OPN/OPNA FM chips. FMP (Frequency Modulation Program or something like that?) seems to be another way to do the same thing, endode data for the OPN/OPNA chips.

NSF players, to play NES music, actually run the CPU instructions of the game, which itself writes the correct bytes in the memory locations affecting the NES's sound chip, so there is no need to know how the game encodes music data, the game's own proprietary way of storing music data, since running the music routine's CPU instructions decodes it: the NSF player only needs to respond to the final sound chip inputs sent by the game in real time, what happens before is irrelevant. My impression is that hoot does not do that, it doesn't run the game's Z80/Intel CPU instructions but decodes the game's music format on its own, which requires knowing that format for each game/game company, so hoot would be a Mame-style repository of all game's (or game company's) way to store the music data sent to the sound chips. Is this correct?

Not sure which games use FMP or PMD (most Touhou games seem to use PMD)... can all PC-98/PC-88 games' music be ripped into FMP or PMD, and can all PC-98/PC-88 hoot files be converted to FMP/PMD and played with in_fmpmd?

Thanks.

PostPosted: September 4th, 2013, 10:28 am 

Hoot is comparable to M1 (the arcade music player). It uses different drivers to read the audio code contained in the game resources (the music packs). In some games, the audio part is embedded in some form of executable. In many games though, the audio files are directly available in PMD/FMP, which you can read with dedicated players (FMPMD2000, in_fmpmd). Hoot is just more convenient and provides many tracklists.

S98 is a logging format. It's supported by emulators like Neko, which allows you to record your own music rips. It's the older equivalent of GYM or VGM, but it's specific to the PC-88/98.

PostPosted: September 4th, 2013, 1:46 pm 

Okay, so if most games use FMP or PMD, the data in the hoot files (at least for these games) is essentially the same as the data in the format supported by in_fmpmd, so it should be possible to convert or read directly the hoot files from http://hoot.joshw.info/ and play them with in_fmpmd, no? Is that possible? The goal being to read all the hoot files with a Winamp or foobar2000 plugin so that random access (jump backward/forward) is possible.

PostPosted: September 5th, 2013, 6:35 pm 

Somewhat offtopic, but can I adjust the volume in hoot... at all? Some sets are just too quiet, and I've got my other volumes at full blast and everything. The volume settings in the ini don't seem to work right.

PostPosted: September 9th, 2013, 7:21 am 

Well, there is a way to play in fast forward, but not jump or go backwards in any way:

press and hold Ctrl+F = play Fast (by default, speed X 4, but this can be changed in hoot.ini: fast_pitch=4 or any number)

press and hold Ctrl+S = play Slowly (by default, speed / 4, but this can be changed in hoot.ini: slow_pitch=4 or any number)

press and hold Ctrl+D = silence. (D probably because the D key is between the S and F keys)

Nothing about global volume I think.