Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: September 29th, 2016, 2:44 am 

I see. Thank you. Hopefully this will not blow up the circuit board. My repairman stopped when schematics weren't found. And caius of this forum said stick with the original PSU repaired.

PostPosted: September 29th, 2016, 2:46 am 

its been 4 months now i have mine replaced and still work perfectly. The only downside is that i cannot use the power button on the front anymore. :(

PostPosted: September 29th, 2016, 9:28 am 

Now what? Is the button PSU still recommended?

PostPosted: September 29th, 2016, 12:50 pm 

I am sure that the front button could be made fuctional by making a simple circuit. Not that I know how.

PostPosted: September 29th, 2016, 3:15 pm 

maybe we can make the front power button functional but yeah like you said, we need to figure how.

And Parrot, if you have no way making some kind of circuit to make the front power button then yeah, you need to add a power button directly on the power supply to boot up the computer. My friend drilled a little hole on the back where the power supply is and put the new power button there. So i can simply press it when the computer will boot. Everything else work as normal on the front like the volume control and the reset button.

PostPosted: September 30th, 2016, 7:09 pm 

Power voltage of motherboard in FM TOWNS II HR model has to match. Or else frying to crisp will occur.

Schematics is very important.

PostPosted: October 1st, 2016, 8:27 am 

There are no schematics available for the Towns computers. A while back I looked for them myself.

PostPosted: October 1st, 2016, 6:07 pm 

Of course you need the right voltage to the right places. You just need to track down on the connector of the power supply what voltage it is using on the specifics pins. My friend did it very easiliy. Hes been able to find -12v, +12v, 5v and the grounds. Just wire properly from the newer power supply to a connector that go on the motherboard of the computer and thats it.

PostPosted: October 5th, 2016, 4:12 pm 

Any tutorials or instructions would be greatly appreciated. Or should I sent the PSU to someone?

PostPosted: October 6th, 2016, 8:02 pm 

yeah would be best if you let someone who know his way around electronic do that. Tell him to locate the voltages and other stuff on the connector of the original PSU then with a new PSU connect the appropriate wired to the right place.

PostPosted: October 10th, 2016, 2:57 pm 

It is possible, but location and voltage amounts are left to know in order to get it to working again.

PostPosted: October 11th, 2016, 8:55 pm 

Well my friend was able to locate all the voltage value on the pins so pretty sure anybody good in electronic can do it.

PostPosted: October 18th, 2016, 2:05 pm 

Well, I now decided to sell it to a collector for $700 plus shipping and handling. Is that okay? What are some suggestions on selling it? Is Craigslist a good option?

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2016, 3:34 pm 

I gave 100£ for an FM Towns 20F with a broken PSU, and that price included shipping.

PostPosted: December 10th, 2016, 10:21 pm 

I successfully replaced the PSU in my FM-TOWNS II MX with a standard ATX :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87RLYVn58A4&feature=youtu.be

The adaption was easy, I quickly figured out the pinout of the connector on motherboard (16PIN molex but it can differs in other FM-TOWNS models).
The voltages needed (+5V, +12V, -12V) for powering the FM-TOWNS are present on a ATX PSU along with the +5VSB but colors of wires of the FM-TOWNS PSU mean different voltages compared to ATX.This is the adaption diagram valid for all FM-TOWNS models (but check always with a multimeter):

BLACK=GND ---------------------->same of ATX
BROWN=+5V---------------------->RED ON ATX
RED=+12V------------------------->YELLOW on ATX
ORANGE=-12V--------------------->BLUE on ATX
YELLOW=+5VSB------------------->PURPLE on ATX

On the FM-TOWNS PSU there is also a white wire, this seems to be connected (but not used) to the rear fan connector, we can omit it in this adaption.
As said, the original power switch cannot be used since the FM-TOWNS power up works in a different way, specifically the original switch is a momentary one which briefly shorts the PS-ON signal (BLUE wire on the FM-TOWNS PSU) to GND.So you have to install a switch that keeps shorted to GND the PS-ON signal of the ATX PSU (GREEN wire) for the time the PSU must be ON.I hope this can help you all to replace your faulty FM-TOWNS PSU.If you have any question, don't hesitate to ask.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next