Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:58 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: March 20th, 2015, 12:48 pm 

Okay, I was talking with people on 4chan in the retro JP games thread and they directed me to this forum when I ran into a problem. Now, I found some text at the start screen of Dead of the Brain and changed a single letter to another for a dummy test, but the game crashed when I loaded it up with UNZ. It shouldn't have since there was nothing that I did wrong, so does anyone know what happened?

Anyhow, it also seems the music doesn't quite play right with this game, but all sound effects do. Is it my settings or the emulator? I'd prefer to translate this version of the game rather than the PC98 one since it has better audio quality, but I'll settle on the latter if things don't work out. Also, I did the exact same thing for the PC98 version and it worked, so I'm guessing my problem is either the system or the emulator. Thoughts?

PostPosted: March 20th, 2015, 8:02 pm 

The music in the game is normally played at the default settings. Perhaps a virtual drive must be the first in the system.

With the creation of the translation of the game I do not understand.
I briefly looked at both versions.
In every version of the game text is compressed. The FM-towns version of the game contains a multi-volume archives.
And it is not clear how you edit the CD-ROM version of the game. Simply use the hex editor? What software do you use to unpack and pack files.

PostPosted: March 20th, 2015, 9:43 pm 

I just opened the file directly (floppy PC-98, ISO FM Towns) with a hex editor without extracting. It worked like that for other stuff I've done. Anyhow, it could have been the emulator that didn't play the music right for the FM Towns version.

PostPosted: March 20th, 2015, 10:13 pm 

This game such technical implementation does not translate. Perhaps you should take a look at the PC Engine CD version.
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1156/

PostPosted: March 21st, 2015, 1:11 am 

I already checked out the PCE version and it looks butt ugly. The art is way lower quality, which puts me off greatly from wanting to translate that version. Anyhow, I already checked out the PC98 version and made successful changes to it without error, so I'll end up settling on that version or one of the other two systems (excluding the ones I have already tried) the game was on. Thanks for your help anyway, I'm guessing its just the system itself that won't allow such changes.

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2015, 9:41 am 

xPearse wrote:
I just opened the file directly (floppy PC-98, ISO FM Towns) with a hex editor without extracting. It worked like that for other stuff I've done. Anyhow, it could have been the emulator that didn't play the music right for the FM Towns version.

It seems like you just hex edited a file directly in the ISO image. If that was the case, then as the CD-ROM file system has checksums that no longer matches your modified image and the game crashes because of it. To test if this was the cause, extract all the files from the disc, make your change, then create a new ISO and see if the crash occurs. If the new ISO doesn't crash, then you've figured out the problem. If it does crash, then something else is the problem.