Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Royal Blood for FM-Towns
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2014, 7:43 am 

On a whim, I decided to look up all the different versions of Royal Blood to see what they looked like, because I used to love Gemfire on SNES and I wondered if any of them looked better. Most of the PC versions look similar, it seems, with the X68000 and PC98 versions apparently looking the best out of those, but for some reason I haven't been able to find any images or videos of the FM-Towns version, even thumbnails! Even which I search for ロイヤルブラッド all I could find was someone selling it on yahoo japan auctions for a hefty price: http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b159817479

I wish he had shown the back of the box, since maybe then I could see what it looked like! However, I'm intrigued by the fact that the game came with both a CD and a floppy disc, and the fact that the description says "withサウンドウェア 完美品 タウンズ" makes me think that maybe the CD is an enhanced soundtrack. I'm really curious what that sounds like. Maybe it's the arranged album they made for the game? In any case, this game seems to be extremely rare so I imagine the only way to find out would be to purchase it, unless someone here knows something about this. :)

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2014, 7:25 pm 

It's safe to assume that the Towns and PC-98 versions are 100% identical.

As for CD Audio support, it must be like the Koei conversions on PC Engine. The CD tracks (which are the same as the OST) are not used ingame, they are just included as a nice bonus.

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2014, 9:01 pm 

Thanks for the info! I guess the Super Famicom version probably is the best-looking one after all. I want to hear that soundtrack CD someday though.

Were those PC Engine audio CDs orchestrated/arranged or were they just identical to the ingame music? I'm guessing probably the latter...

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2014, 10:44 pm 

Royal Blood was not ported on PCE.

But taking the example of Aoki Ōkami 3, most of the ingame music is standard chiptune (except for the intro) and sounds quite similar to the other versions of the game available on consoles and computers. The bonus CD tracks however (including the intro) directly come from the official soundtrack. That's the same situation with all other Koei games on PCE and Mega CD I can think of.

I think I have the Royal Blood OST somewhere, I'll try to post it in the Music section.