Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:23 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: May 17th, 2014, 10:00 am 

Hi all, as owner of some FM-TOWNS machines with faulty CD-ROM I'm trying all the possible alternatives.I tried to use an external SCSI CDROM unit with the driver 'CDISC2.SYS' and though the unit is recognized under DOS and TOWN-OS, games doesn't work by launching th main executable .EXP.I tried also to load the specific game BIOS (for example the 'VINGIOS.BIN) using the "ADDDEV.EXE" program :

http://www.vector.co.jp/soft/dos/writing/se002001.html

but it works only under emulation and not on real hardware.I tried so far also the "SUBST.EXE" DOS command to map the 'Q:' unit (the CD-ROM default letter) to an existing drive like we do on X68000 machines but without success.The only method we gave partial success was the use of 'SHSUCDX', a DOS virtual CD-ROM emulator which mounts the ISOs (like Daemon tools):

http://adoxa.110mb.com/shsucdx/index.html

using this I was able to run some games from hard disk (without CD-DA since they are not supported) like New Zealand Story and few others

So, I was wondering if it would be possibile to install and run from HDD games (and other software as well) which originally boot from CD, the opposite of what has been done for Alltynex for example (which has been converted from HDD image to bootable CD).
Besides, I have a Windows 95 HDD image made from my FM-TOWNS II (which crashes and resets if I try to boot from this Windows 95 installation, I don't know why so I can use only DOS and TOWN-OS) but I'm not able to run it in the MESS emulator, I converted it to .CHD but it doesn't boot.If someone is interested I could upload it.
Is there around any FM-TOWNS Windows 95 ISO?I searched also on Japanese P2P but I was unable to find it.
Thanks in advance

PostPosted: May 17th, 2014, 11:40 pm 

I made some HDD installations, some work, other don't.I prepared a MS-DOS HDD bootable image file (with CD-ROM mapped to P: to allow the SUBST command), you can download it from here:

https://www.mediafire.com/?elregv8jp5rkxa6

In order to launch the games, on prompt 'D:\>' go to the directory GAMES with the following command:

Code:
CD GAMES

Then launch the BAT for each game:

BUBBLE.BAT (Bubble Bobble - not working)
COL.BAT (Columns - not working due protection)
NZ.BAT (The New Zeland Story - fully working)
RR.BAT (Rocket Ranger - fully working)
TJO.BAT (Tatsujin Ou - not working)

HDD image is tested either under UNZ emulation either on a FM-TOWNS II (I use a SCSI to IDE and IDE to CF adapters and I write the image to a 1GB Compact Flash card using the WinImage utility under Windows XP)

If someone with a deep knowledge of FM-TOWNS and japanese language could help me to underdstand why some of these games doesn't run I would appreciate.I think we can go further and install more games.Thanks.

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2014, 11:12 am 

Check my PM on the MESS board.

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2014, 11:54 am 

Hi, thanks.I've just replied to you on MESS board.