Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:23 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: November 19th, 2010, 7:23 pm 

Yes!

At last, I return to Tokugawa with useful info for anyone wanting to emulate the PC88 on MacOS X!

Thanks to M.I.K.e over at the MacScene Forums, there are now concise instructions for compiling Quasi88 for non-programming types like you and me :-)

You need to have the Apple Developer Tools, included with Mac OS X installation discs, already installed.

To set up SDL for development you have to download http://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-1.2.14.tar.gz, extract it and execute the following Terminal commands inside the new SDL-1.2.14 directory:

Code:
./configure
make
sudo make install

The last command will ask for your administrator password, because it is necessary to copy the files to the system directories.

For Quasi88 I had to remember and retrace my own steps from last time, because I'm not really interested in that machine and had deleted my changes a while ago.

In the Makefile change lines 16 and 17 from this
Code:
X11_VERSION = 1
# SDL_VERSION = 1

to this
Code:
# X11_VERSION = 1
SDL_VERSION = 1

to enable SDL instead of X11.

Also change lines 182 and 196 from this
Code:
ARCH = freebsd
# ARCH = macosx

to this
Code:
# ARCH = freebsd
ARCH = macosx

to enable the Mac OS X build instead of the FreeBSD one.

If you want English instead of Japanese menus, open the file menu.c in the src directory and change line 42 from
Code:
int menu_lang = LANG_JAPAN;

to
Code:
int menu_lang = LANG_ENGLISH;

Now perform a
Code:
make

in the quasi88-0.6.3 directory and you should get a quasi88.sdl executable as the result.

And that's about it. I haven't had much time to play with it since I upgraded my Mac to a 2010 MacBook Pro model, but enough to know this works.

When I compiled previously on my older G5 with MacOS X 10.4.11, for some strange reason the space bar wasn't recognised by the emulated PC88, but, from Quasi88's preferences you can substitute the space bar key with any other key you desire.

- Alex