Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: .IMG disk images??
PostPosted: October 7th, 2010, 9:02 pm 

Hello, i have found in some collections some rare and undumped games (like the alley cat pc88 port) in the .IMG format. How can i run them? I've tried loading them in M88 but the emulator just freezes. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 8th, 2010, 12:22 pm 

Aren't those VMWare disk images?

I think it might be capable of exporting them into other formats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 8th, 2010, 1:14 pm 

I don't know. Instructions for trying a conversion into a readable format would be really appreciated. If anyone is interested i can upload them, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 8th, 2010, 11:02 pm 

Is there anyone working on getting disk images of every PC88 game ever released? It saddens me that there are games by even companies such as Enix that aren't in the major sets.. if there isn't I may have to use some of THC's GameRaper.com bandwidth to set up a PC88 Collection Project wiki or something.

EDIT: Disk and Tape images that is. Which reminds me.. is there any decent way of running tape images on M88? X88 has a fully featured tape image function with rewind/fast-forward/etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 9th, 2010, 9:09 am 

LordKarnov42 wrote:
Is there anyone working on getting disk images of every PC88 game ever released? It saddens me that there are games by even companies such as Enix that aren't in the major sets.. if there isn't I may have to use some of THC's GameRaper.com bandwidth to set up a PC88 Collection Project wiki or something.

You can count me in, pal ;)
Are you on UG? A good starting point could be the PC-88 packs that kobushi kindly uploaded there. If you aren't on UG PM me a valid email address and i'll send you an invite.

Quote:
EDIT: Disk and Tape images that is. Which reminds me.. is there any decent way of running tape images on M88? X88 has a fully featured tape image function with rewind/fast-forward/etc.

Tape emulation in M88 is very buggy and incomplete. X88 should be the best for the old games, but there are other emulators like Quasi88 which i haven't properly tried yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 9th, 2010, 2:42 pm 

Yeah, I'm on UG. I'll grab those torrents if my internet comes back tonight [If you're in the US, AVOID AREAS THAT ONLY HAVE SUDDENLINK CABLE INTERNET]. I'm at my parents' right now.

And yeah, I finally figured out that N88-Basic has a command specifically for loading the first program on a tape. But absolutely no tape game works in M88 :lol: . X88 did fine with Dungeon except it crashes when I enter a town, but neither of them loaded Horror House. I'll try other emulators... if my internet comes back.

THC and I have been working on a wiki, so the framework is already there. I did a test page with Ultima IV a few weeks ago, so it definitely may become the PC-8001 Series Preservation Society Wiki this week.

And finally, a question for d88 God Ashura if he sees this [or anyone else with knowledge!]: Are the only PC-8001/8801 image formats .d88, .t88, and, I assume, .iso for the few CD games? I ask as I need to delve into them and see how they work. I would hope to have original unmodified protected disk images alongside cracked ones [hopefully made from the originals so I don't run into any problems like I did with Dragon Slayer: LoH1, with a disk filled with save games with no way that I know of to remove them.]

EDIT: Oh, another thing I was pondering --- I'd like to make a comprehensive of the platform-exclusive releases and platform original releases for all of the Pre-IBM Compatible Japanese PCs. I have absolutely no idea what PC Hover Attack was developed for originally, and the PC-8801 version of Daisenryaku is titled "Daisenryaku 88".. so I'm assuming it either came out on one of Sharp or Fujitsu's PCs or the PC-8001 first.

EDIT EDIT: Well crap, I would have started working on it already, but I forgot to bring the hard drive with my admin/ftp passwords to the wiki.

Last edited by LordKarnov42 on October 9th, 2010, 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 9th, 2010, 3:38 pm 

The original (computer) Daisenryaku has a platform specific addendum to the name on each platform that I know of, the other versions are just called "Daisenryaku X1" and "Daisenryaku FM".
I assume the game is derived from the first Daisenryaku game (Gendai Daisenryaku) which came out for the PC-98.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 9th, 2010, 3:49 pm 

Starscream the 2nd wrote:
The original (computer) Daisenryaku has a platform specific addendum to the name on each platform that I know of, the other versions are just called "Daisenryaku X1" and "Daisenryaku FM".
I assume the game is derived from the first Daisenryaku game (Gendai Daisenryaku) which came out for the PC-98.

Crap, yeah, I considered that too but I'm tired and I forgot, haha.. I was up until 4:00AM dealing with the cable company.

"Unscrew the cable and hold your thumb over the end for fifteen seconds." ~ "Okay, but, you see, this happens almost daily. This is not the problem. It's not static in the line. It simply can't connect to your server." ~ "Do you have any splitters on the line?" ~ "Inside the apartment? No, I got rid of them all when I canceled your terrible Cable TV service. I can't say what's behind the walls though." ~ "Okay, do you have any splitters outside?" ~ "No, you see, I live in an apartment. So..." ETC. ETC. ETC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 9th, 2010, 4:56 pm 

Well, good luck with THAT. :)

Re: the images in IMG. format, are those mountable in some kind of virtual floppy drive perhaps? How would you dump a PC-88 image anyway, is that possible with IBM PC drives?

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 9th, 2010, 7:36 pm 

Yeah, Snake, upload them, I'll have a look. I have WinImage on my PC at home and I'll check it out. Otherwise I'll look at it in a hex editor and see if I can figure it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 10th, 2010, 12:26 am 

Horror House works fine with the old PC88 Win emulator. I'll upload the images tomorrow ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 10th, 2010, 12:50 pm 

http://rapidshare.com/files/424212223/I ... _images.7z

Enjoy ;)

It seems that alley cat has some kind of disk protection, according to a txt file i've found.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 10th, 2010, 4:01 pm 

Well they're definitely not in WinImage format.

Cracked Alley Cat open in a hex editor, and it looks like .d88 format to me, or something similar. Though the only experience I have with .d88 files is messing around with Black Onyx/Fire Crystal/Portopia so maybe all disk images look similar and this is no help at all..

EDIT: No wait, they're definitely in .d88 format. Renamed a couple to .d88 and tried them in M88 and they display the proper disk labels and multiple-disks in the same image file.

allaycat does not boot, disk-read freezes.

arkanoid is arkanoid. Works.

golf is the first Enix World Golf. Works.

jairo is Gyrodine. Works.

kitahei is a shogi game. Works.

molemole won't autoboot. For some reason, checks drive 1 then checks and freezes on drive 2.

murder won't autoboot, its FAT is corrupted so I can't see the programs on the disk, and I didn't see the FAT with a hex editor. I'm sure it's there but I didn't look very hard, it's a big image. At least three disks.

nobunaga is one of Koei's later Nobunaga no Yabou games, definitely not the first one. Works.

punchbal is Hudson's Punch Ball Mario Bros. Works.

smario is Hudson's Super Mario Bros. Special. Works.

techknow is System Soft's PC-8801mkII technical info disk. Handy, but already in the CD-set. Works.

wizard is Wizard88, seems to be a disk sector editor. Works.

xanadu88 boots. Works. It's not the SR version as the music is just beeps and the colors are ugly in V2 mode. Unfortunately it has a savegame on it so it's not a clean dump of the original data disk :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 10th, 2010, 5:43 pm 

Alley cat has some kind of copy protection in it. Are there any clues about how to crack it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 7th, 2011, 1:43 am 

Could someone please reupload the IMG pack? I'd like to take a look.