Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 10:31 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: December 14th, 2009, 8:22 pm 

Alright, I'll try to enter the cave in Xanadu and all I get is a black screen with the message "Disk Write Protected. Hit any Key", but no matter what I do, nothing happens afterwards. With Scenario II I'll get the message right at the title screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 15th, 2009, 9:16 am 

You must unprotect the disk. Try editing the image with D88 Manager. You can find the links on this forum ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 15th, 2009, 9:30 am 

On a side note, the disks were protected with a good reason, so do not forget to keep back-ups around, as evoked in this wonderful message of wisdom posted by an amazing human being.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 16th, 2009, 3:52 pm 

As awesome as you may be, ultimatly it was Elrich2k3's post about the PC98 version, (Which seems to work almost exactly the same as the PC88 version.) that helped me run both Xanadu and Scenario II without any further problems. Thanks for the link. (I did a search for Xanadu before I started this topic, but I only searched in PC88 Emulation.)

And another question, I also got the first Dragon Slayer game, (For completeness sake, the game's horrible.) and unless I select the N88-V1 mode the graphics are fucked up...but what's the actual difference between N88-V1 (S) and (H)? The game seems to run fine with both options.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 17th, 2009, 12:42 am 

Dang, I didn't mean to help posting my previous message!

The S and H modes are normal (or Slow, I guess) and High speed memory mode switches. I only presume they may be respectively emulating 8801 and 8801mk2 computers, though as far as I know, the switch appeared in the Mk2SR days, so it could as well be just a feature of the later.
As far as I know, they are just relevent to play 8801 games at proper speed and for beeper sound to sound "right", but only if you checked the Memory Wait setting.
Personally, I played Dragonslayer in S mode, 4Mhz, Wait mode, as I felt anything beyond that was too fast (and that weirdo game is hard enough ;).

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 17th, 2009, 2:20 pm 

I read somewhere that V(S) is supposed to be for compatibility, and (H) for speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 17th, 2009, 10:08 pm 

Well, effectively, the Highspeed mode makes about anything but BASIC text adventure games unplayable, at least to a lefty gamer like me ;) - another way of saying it is indeed for compatiblity. I think as usual with NEC's PC88 lineup, those options weren't put there with gaming in mind but merely professional or daily applications.
I have personally never ever run into a first generation game that could not be run into both v1s and v1h modes, but most of this testing was not intensive and done in M88, whose (which? damn it...) v1 mode emulation feels like a hack of the v2 mode - actually quite a few mk2sr titles can be run in v1 mode in that emulator, while they don't work as they are supposed not to in X88000.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 18th, 2009, 4:22 pm 

Thanks for all the info, with wait mode checked I noticed the difference...and it's even more unplayable in S mode imo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 1st, 2010, 2:37 am 

CDJ wrote:
As awesome as you may be, ultimatly it was Elrich2k3's post about the PC98 version, (Which seems to work almost exactly the same as the PC88 version.) that helped me run both Xanadu and Scenario II without any further problems...

I -am- Elrich2k3 and I didn't remember how I got it to work until I saw this post that pointed me to my own post...

Side-note: Ben, you can delete Elrich2k3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 1st, 2010, 1:57 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Side-note: Ben, you can delete Elrich2k3.

Done.