Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 9th, 2011, 8:35 am 
i've been after a hard copy of this forever and just recently snapped one up. the packaging is really weird and awesome, even among pc-88 games, so i just gotta share. hopefully someone other than me finds this interesting!

the game's box art isn't hard to find online. still one hell of an artistic cover though.

...but what really impresses me is the back. no ad copy, no legal text, no screenshots. man, how many game companies ever have had the guts to do that? fitting that a game that exists to be an confusing alien mystery for the player to unravel is equally strange and imposing on the outside.

it's a pretty unusual box, the top and bottom are actually just removable flaps folded over a styrofoam carrier for the disks and paperwork.

i don't know if it comes through in my shitty picture here, but the disk labels have a distinct brushed metal look to them. classy.

on the other side, the manual and fliers are held in a inset - with this cool gigeresque relief pressed into the styrofoam behind them!

manual opened. there's that head again, along with a message written in japanese, transliterated to roman characters and then encoded in the english substitution code used for the game world's language.

once opened, the manual folds out again. more cool creepy art along with sparse story and instructions.

anyway, if you'll excuse me i got something i need to be doing here.

snake, tell me where you are stuck? i'll help if i can. when i get there. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 9th, 2011, 9:40 am 

Thanks for the amazing pics. It's really beautiful to investigate a bit into suck original packaging and design work, a quality that has been nearly lost nowadays :(

I did some progresses in the game. Now I have passed the password locked door and I'm on the quest for finding all the missing artifacts. I've found two but I am lost searching for the others :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 9th, 2011, 1:59 pm 
Site Admin

Serch Yourself :D

Very nice post !

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 10th, 2011, 1:03 am 

Thanks for sharing, sharc :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 10th, 2011, 3:00 am 

Congratulations for your fine adquisition!

And thanks for sharing :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 1st, 2011, 11:55 am 

Very cool sharc. However, with a complete version of the game there is a band that goes around the outside of the box that mentions the name of the game and what system its for. Theres also about a dozen leaflets and such that originally came in the packaging, most of which are advertising for bothtec.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 1st, 2011, 5:03 pm 
oh, the leaflets are there, at least most of them. i just left them out because they're nowhere near as interesting as the game's packaging. or as nice as, say, falcom's ads.

i know it's not complete - missing out on the bands is unfortunate, but they seem virtually impossible to find and the few i've seen (on well-kept pc88 square games) look like they're made of the flimsiest paper imaginable. getting these games truly complete is the business of collectors in japan and the absurdly lucky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 12th, 2012, 10:56 am 

I've reupped relics the recur of the origin on mediafire, since the old links are dead.

http://www.mediafire.com/?fmmbbx7fz8uivnm
http://www.mediafire.com/?xtd4a6nkks6c976
http://www.mediafire.com/?7du6jb54au0z6ay

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 12th, 2012, 11:29 am 

Nice topic. I discovered this game a few years back, noticing a screenshot of it and wondering if it was a Metroid clone (it was a very small screen). Dloaded one of the versions (can't recall which), and had a play around.

Massive, daunting, confusing and all totally awesome. I always meant to put some serious time into it but never did.

Thanks for jogging my memory!

If you guys are playing through all the versions, you should take screens and consider putting together a small article on it, in order to bring it to people's attention. HG101 would love to run a piece on something like this.

PostPosted: February 15th, 2012, 6:53 am 

Wasn't there a Famicom Disk version of this ? BTW the X68 version is dow, anyone could reupload/link it ?

Edit: Okay, found it. Hmm, the X68 version realy does look quite similar to what I'd expect from the PC 88. Still, looks interesting, kind of like Avenging Spirit for the arcades. Wish I knew what to do :P

Last edited by apachacha on February 15th, 2012, 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: February 15th, 2012, 9:39 am 

Relics (Famicom Disk system)
Relics (X68000)

PostPosted: February 15th, 2012, 9:48 am 

wushu wrote:

Thanks dude, but I found a working version 5 minutes ago. :mrgreen:

But thanks for the FCDS file, those are usualy harder to find.

Still, Snake mentioned a walkthrough, but I couldn't find any myself,are there any around ?

PostPosted: February 26th, 2012, 9:24 am 

Stumbled across this today. Apparently they're being redistributed on the English EGG.

http://www.amusement-center.com/en/proj ... uct_id=959

http://www.amusement-center.com/en/proj ... uct_id=948

http://www.amusement-center.com/en/proj ... uct_id=857

http://www.amusement-center.com/en/proj ... uct_id=745

PostPosted: June 8th, 2012, 1:47 am 

I don't take it anyone can upload RELICS Anthology and RELICS - The 2nd Birth?
Also, is RINNE supposed to be a sequel?

PostPosted: October 8th, 2014, 12:32 am 

Rinne is a sequel to the series games preceding it, though it might run concurrently with 2nd Birth, I'm not yet sure.

Does someone have Relics: Recur of ORIGIN? I know S. Plissken uploaded to Mediafire before, and I'd like to get ahold of the download.