Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently April 28th, 2024, 5:37 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: October 18th, 2009, 6:04 pm 

So, I just tried playing Popful Mail after I found it in some of the uploaded archives in this topic.

http://fullmotionvideo.free.fr/forum/vi ... .php?t=368

Here it is if you want to check it out yourself.

http://rapidshare.com/files/294719578/Popful_Mail.d88

Anyway, I'm just wondering, how do you actually start a new game? There's already a savegame on it and no matter what I do at the start screen, the game will load that savegame. There's nothing to choose from either, all I can do is press a random button at the start screen.

Sure, the save is just a few minutes into the game, but it's still annoying, there must be some way to actually start a new game or at least delete that savestate.

Edit: I figured maybe I should put the Opening Disk in first, maybe that'll start a new game, but after the opening is finished the game tells me to put the user disk in drive 1 and the data disk 1 in drive 2.

But after I'm done and press enter the screen turns black and nothing else happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 25th, 2009, 2:29 pm 

Sorry for the late answer.

To be able to start over, you need to insert the Opening Disk in drive 1 and hold the Help key (emulated by the End key in M88) while it boots. A menu will show up, the last option allows you to reinitialize your saved game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 26th, 2009, 11:36 am 

Thank you, that way I could delete the saved data.

However, when I select a new game directly from that menu the same thing happened that happens after I watch the opening. The game asks me to put in the user disk and data disk 1 and after that the screen just remains black.

I also tried different dumps and a different emulator (X88000, but that one wouldn't be an option anyway since I get no sound.) but the same thing happened with all of them.

Oh well, can't have everything I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 26th, 2009, 11:54 am 

This is actually a side effect of the removal of the copy protection scheme. You can't start the game directly after the opening, you have to begin the game with the Program disk in drive 1 and the first Data disk in drive 2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 26th, 2009, 7:27 pm 

That explains everything, thanks!