Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently April 19th, 2024, 7:02 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: getting a real pc-88?
PostPosted: October 7th, 2009, 9:22 pm 
i've recently become fascinated with old computers, and while i'm busy trying to assemble a 386 rig for old western games i've also taken to the idea of picking up some flavor of pc-88. i talked with danjuro about what to look for, but figured i should also put the question to the board as a whole.

as i understand it, there are two important features to look for. a model with the opna/soundboard II soundcard already installed is preferred, which means nothing older than the 88FA. something with 2HD drives also seems to be a good idea, since that avoids the read/write problems that 2D drives have? that would rule out any of the 88F- models.

given these guidelines, the 88MA looks like the best bet since i'd like to get something from the main line of 88s rather than a VA or 98DO model. the MA has both sbII and 2HD and unlike the MA2 still has a digital rgb connection. it seems like it can't use casette drives like the FH can, but as tape games are pretty thin on the ground the loss isn't much of a concern to me. anyone know if i'm missing or overlooking anything here?