Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently April 19th, 2024, 5:29 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: February 16th, 2023, 12:26 pm 

I've always loved the Sierra port to DOS and, having interviewed Yoshio Kiya, have been asked to write about Sorcerian, given how ahead of its time it was. mainly I want to talk about its expansion packs which was impressive for 1987/88.

DLC is commonplace now, and we had expansion packs in the mid-90s, for Windows games, but I've not come across many examples from the 80s.

Is this list accurate:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorcerian

I also went through the Neo Kobe set on the Internet Archive. But I had a feeling there was more than this? Only Falcom, Amorphous, and Quaser made add-on disks? Am i correct that Takeru didn't make any disks, they simply distributed them via their vending machines?

Do we know if there were a lot of doujinshi add-ons for Sorcerian?

My other thoughts on Sorcerian:

* I really, REALLY wish one of the console fan-translations would get finished. Like for Mega Drive. The janky scrolling and weird colours on DOS can become an eyesore.

* Man, those spells! I tend to not focus on magic too much since it's overwhelmingly complicated (herbs, plus different types of actual magic spell).

* Anyone else panic after making characters, feeling that maybe they didn't make them quuuuite right?

It's a wonderful RPG, which for me replicates the feeling or atmosphere of sitting around a D&D table, but the barrier of entry is quite high.

I'd love to see a modern update, which retains the same complexities, and add-on functionality, but with maybe a better tutorial and some guidance for newbies.

EDIT:

https://www.mobygames.com/game/sorcerian-original

So basically this is what I was thinking of.

I'm assuming it's Japanese only?

I'm a little baffled as to how/why this game has never been localised besides the DOS original, especially as RPGs have gained traction outside Japan. Especially considering some of the crap that has got localised over the years.