Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 18th, 2011, 11:25 am 

I'll do some more tests with the Zork disks. I think that if a disk is a "regular" basic one it can list it's contents.

However, i've uploaded the docs here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LS7MODT0

Enjoy ;)

Post subject: Re: D88 Format Question
PostPosted: April 24th, 2012, 11:52 pm 

Uh, can I ask for a re-upload of the docs and the EsperKnight's utility? Please?

PostPosted: April 25th, 2012, 9:17 pm 

I don't seem to understand how the 2-byte pointer at the end of the file name (in a standard PC88 BASIC file allocation table) works. Can anyone please explain this procedure?

EDIT: I figured it out, it took a bit of time since I didn't knew a lot of things.

Code:
NOTE: This is made up of my own notes, so something could be innacurate. In that case please correct me. Thanks.

Standard N-88 BASIC FAT (File Allocation Table) Structure
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A standard N-88 BASIC disk's FAT (located at CHRN 12 01 01 01) is composed of 12 sectors, each sector holding 16 entries, reaching a maximum of 192 possible files and a size of 3072 bytes.
If the entry is unused, it's padded with FFh.
Each entry (16 bytes) is composed as follows:

-6 bytes to store the Filename
-3 bytes to store the Filename Extension
-1 byte for the separation mark (80h for a dot, 01h for an asterisk. Dunno what this indicates.)
-1 byte for the Cluster number to read
-5 bytes full of FFh

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
|   Name   | Ext |S|C|    FF   |

Each Cluster is 2048 bytes long, or 8 sectors of 256 bytes. A quick search method would be to do (Cluster number)/2 = Track number. If there's no rest, it starts on Sector 1. If the rest is 5, it starts on Sector 9.

Example:
-If the Cluster number is 48h (72 decimal), it starts on Track 36 Sector 1 and ends in Track 36 Sector 8
-If the Cluster number is 49h (73 decimal), it starts on Track 36 Sector 9 and ends in Track 36 Sector 16

PostPosted: April 28th, 2012, 4:07 am 

Apologies for taking so long as I saw this a bit ago but here's my utility and code packaged with it. My utility will only work with the first disk of a multi disk image cause I'm lazy so make sure to split them :) Also, it spits out two different types of tracks. What I noticed was that some times they would have the sectors numbered out of order on the disk so I would output both the ordered and unordered versions with _orig.bin being the unordered one. May not be useful but hey :) The code prob could be cleaned up and such but ah well. Later on when I track it down I'll post up my sector insertion utility too allowing you to reinsert sectors into a disk. The original goal was to expand the D88 image but I found out that for the PC88 at least the image is fixed at... 341k or so... but at least it makes it easier to reinsert sectors :) So anyways here's the http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7947739/D88_Extract.rar This should be good for as long as my Dropbox account is good :) I'll see about posting those docs too unless Snake beats me although I can't remember what the file name is named so may be a bit.

Edit:

Forgot to mention, don't rely on the file names as those can be false sadly :( An example is The Death Trap. It has a list of files but some are bogus if I recall right plus they didn't extract any of the scripts or anything in those. What they'll do instead a lot of times they have there own code to load in the appropriate tracks as needed. Forget what ports they use... have to find that in my notes but I think I may have mentioned it in one of these posts too... but feel free to post here or on the board and I can help out as needed as I'm quite familiar now with how it does it's stuff. Really I need to make a post about this stuff but I get lazy and forgetful ;D

PostPosted: April 28th, 2012, 4:03 pm 

Many thanks! Nice looking code you have there, I will check it as soon as i have some time.
Out of curiosity, what compiler did you use?

PostPosted: April 28th, 2012, 4:24 pm 

For the compiler I use Visual Studios. Should work with GCC as well or any other as there's nothing windows specific that I can remember.

For the docs, still looking so at this time I'm not sure if I have them... I recall downloading them but heck if I remember where I put them :D

PostPosted: October 18th, 2018, 2:17 pm 

Apologies in advance for bringing this thread back from the dead, but the N88-BASIC manual (at least for the MR) makes reference to a DSKF function in BASIC that can point out the FATs on a disk.

I'm not sure which BIOS command this actually calls, but here's the command and the parameters:

Quote:
Usage: DSKF([drive number]<, parameter>) Get information on a floppy disk inserted into drive drive number. Note that drive numbers are 1-indexed.

Parameters you can extract are:

0 - Maximum track number
1 - Number of sectors per track
2 - Single sided (0) or double-sided (1) floppy disk
3 - Number of clusters per track
4 - Number of clusters per floppy disk
5 - Track index containing the directory info
6 - Number of sectors per cluster
7 - Start sector of FAT
8 - Last sector of FAT
9 - Number of FATs
10 - Sector index containing ID

N88-BASIC manual is here: https://archive.org/details/NECPC8801mk ... ANUAL1986L

The DSKF stuff is on page 2-61 (pg. 143 in the PDF).