Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: bsnes 0.73
PostPosted: December 25th, 2010, 11:54 pm 

Quoted from bsnes homepage:

Quote:
bsnes v073 released 2010-12-24

This release marks a major step forward, offering full low-level emulation of all four DSP coprocessors based on the NEC uPD77C25 processor core. Many people were responsible for this milestone: Dr. Decapitator for the actual decapping and extraction; Lord Nightmare for the cartridges and some special analysis tools; myself, Jonas Quinn and Cydrak for the uPD77C25 emulation; and all of the donors who raised the necessary $1,000 for the necessary hardware and equipment needed to pull this all off. To say thanks to the donors, I am releasing the uPD77C25 emulation core to the public domain, so that everyone can benefit from it.

All four DSP emulations will be improved by this by way of having realistic timing; the DSP-4 will benefit further as the high-level emulation was incomplete and somewhat buggy; and the DSP-3 will benefit the most as the high-levle emulation there was not complete enough to be playable. As a result, most notably, this means bsnes v073 is the first emulator to fully be able to play SD Gundam GX (J)!

As bsnes' primary goal is accuracy, the LLE DSP support renders the old HLE DSP support obsolete. Ergo, I have removed the 166KB of HLE source code, and replaced it with the uPD77C25 core, which comprises a mere 20KB of source code. As this LLE module supports save states, this also means that for the first time, DSP-3 and DSP-4 games have save state support.

On the other hand, this also means that to run any DSP game, you will need the appropriate program ROM. As these are copyrighted, I cannot distribute them nor tell you where to get them. All I can do is provide you with the necessary filenames and hashes.