Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 2:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 21st, 2008, 10:56 pm 

Quote:
My PSX is at a friend's house and my Saturn is unmodded, so the only medium to play it I have is on PC. n.nU

Are you adverse to PSX emulation or SNES emulation for that matter?

By the way, I went back to Llylgamyn Saga on the PC and you need to select "Maze" to return to your previously saved game. And you can only save the game upon properly exiting the program. So you were right, the save system is just terrible. You might accidentally click "no" upon exiting the program and thus losing all the progress you just made or worse yet, you could click "yes" after having most of your party recently destroyed. At least New Age of Llylgamyn for the PC has none of these problems and nor do any of the other Wizardry remakes that I know of. Seriously, if you can't emulate the PSX version, play the SNES version after applying AGTP's patch.

Quote:
Yes, that translation. I can't find the patch anywhere on earth (The official upgrade patch, not the translation patch). The translation patch applied is for the full version.

Yeah, I can find the upgrade patch for New Age of Llylgamyn over here but not the one for Llylgamyn Saga. I think its official selling site got pulled awhile ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 22nd, 2008, 3:58 pm 

Mmm.. maybe the save game issue was fixed in Llylgamyn Saga 1.10 patch?

Anyways, I'll stick to the PSX version. Or is the SNES AGTP version a better deal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 22nd, 2008, 6:53 pm 

Ben Esacove lists this save feature being translated in the 1.10 version so I think it's highly indicative the game producers never got rid of the bothersome feature.

Quote:
Anyways, I'll stick to the PSX version. Or is the SNES AGTP version a better deal?

Mainly the music is the only reason you would try the SNES game. I think every Wizardry remake I have ever played has good music and music is so very subjective thus I really can't make up my mind between the PSX and SNES versions. From what I can tell, the SNES compilation has the most variety in music and the PSX version has the highest quality of music.

I admire your persistence in trying to play a version of the game I did not recommend. Basically, if you want to know if you'll play and enjoy Wizardry, persistence is the quality you will need the most. The PSX version will be easier as it gives you the map free of charge and has fairly well pre-assembled characters in each bar for each of the three games. You can import/export characters across the games whenever you want and if you choose to use these pre-assembled characters, chances are you should have almost no problem with the first floor. Or you can create your own characters.

As I recall, the learning curve was about an hour or so for me. And whatever you do, do not make the mistake that these Wizardries are just massive grind-fests which require you to finish the game with strong ass characters with at least 500 HP or such nonsense. If you want a brutally lethal dungeon crawler, play the Amiga version of Tales of the Unknown. If you want a dungeon crawler which you can finish in less than 15 hours with most of your characters around level 13, then play a Wizardry remake. And if you don't want a dungeon crawler at all, you could try watching the Wizardry OAV which animates the events of the first game (obviously spoiling the game somewhat but some of us would rather watch than play).

Last edited by mil on June 23rd, 2008, 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 23rd, 2008, 3:57 pm 

Ben Esacove kindly replied to a mail I sent him, saying he will search for the patch, but there's not much hope.

Later he replied again saying he found it among backup disks and he's going to upload it to his site.

EDIT: Actually, he already did, "by popular demand". Thanks!

Althrough mil convinced me of the ports superiority, I still would want to see LS for PC running correctly. Now it's personal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 23rd, 2008, 4:15 pm 

Awesome! Thanks again, Wushu! While this may be an inferior version of the original trilogy, it's a good thing to appreciate the work Esacove put into this translation.

Oh, and for those interested in a misinformed but humorous overview of Story of Llylgamyn for the SNES go here. Just don't watch episode 5 if you haven't beaten the first game as it contains massive spoilers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 23rd, 2008, 4:41 pm 

Well, a small update. I don't know if it's the patch magic or what, but now when I exit without saving and re-enter the game, and select Maze, the previous party can be loaded.

Now it's working or so it seems. Chances are that was working before and I didn't realize. Shame on me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 23rd, 2008, 8:44 am 

I finally found the PSX version of New Age of Llylgamyn.

Image Image

Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Download Link:
Code:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2R7KWAIP
Quote:
Compressed Size: 401MB

The PC and PSX versions are practically identical. I also did not notice any difference in music and sound quality.

Here are the few differences I did notice:

PC version:
+ Has an additional sound test
+ No loading times
- Dungeon crawling view confined to 1/4th of the screen

PSX version:
+ Spreads out dungeon crawling view to the entire screen
- Has loading times
- During battle, your parties’ stats are shown at the top of the screen (slightly annoying)

I slightly prefer the PC version. It just moves faster than the PSX one. Especially when loading and saving a game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 24th, 2008, 2:32 pm 

And of course the resolution is different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 24th, 2008, 2:52 pm 

I prefer ANYTHING over the PC remake.

I mean, the saves get corrupted easily! I restarted the game over 20 times, and then uninstalled it. It was traumatizing.

Yay! PSX version :3 Nice Christmas gift! Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 24th, 2008, 9:07 pm 

Quote:
I prefer ANYTHING over the PC remake.

Good! It actually helps somebody then.
I still need to beat Wizardry VI on expert.

Starscream the 2nd wrote:
And of course the resolution is different.

True. Speaking of resolution, I forgot to tell you that I spent several hours getting nowhere trying to solve that Apple II GS problem of yours. I don't know how JRK and others get those games to display at 320x200.

The idea was to solve the problem by New Year's. Get it? New Year's resolution?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 25th, 2008, 1:28 pm 

Quote:
True. Speaking of resolution, I forgot to tell you that I spent several hours getting nowhere trying to solve that Apple II GS problem of yours. I don't know how JRK and others get those games to display at 320x200.

The idea was to solve the problem by New Year's. Get it? New Year's resolution?!

hehe :D
Oh yeah, I guess I could ask JRK as well. I asked over at the apple2gs page, and it turns out that with Kegs, cropping and resizing is used. I tried that before with screenshots taken in M.e.s.s. and it looks decent, seems to me like an unelegant solution though. But it may suffice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 15th, 2009, 12:59 pm 

OK I`ve downloaded the PC Game How do I burn it Please

Thanks Nasty

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 15th, 2009, 1:55 pm 

Nastytang wrote:

Thanks Nasty

As you will do with any other image, load it on your favorite burning software and, well, burn it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 15th, 2009, 3:02 pm 

wushu wrote:
Nastytang wrote:

Thanks Nasty

As you will do with any other image, load it on your favorite burning software and, well, burn it.

GEE thanks Why didn`t I think of that !!
Actually I d/l it again and got it to work this time

Thanks

Nasty

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 1st, 2009, 9:46 am 

OK is any one playing this game ATM??? Also what does the Priests Ring do???