Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently April 28th, 2024, 4:28 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: January 27th, 2008, 1:56 am 

Xi, a particular doujin game writer, makes a series of action RPG (adult, btw) that all seem to crash the same way on any of my computers.

Each game starts, initializes the screen, the crashes (without an error box) back to the desktop. I've tried all the regional options, switching computers and hardware, even using a joystick (which it supports.)

All result in the same issue. I can't find any mention of problems on the japanese boards, so I'm guessing it's some kind of weird localization thing.

If you care to try your luck, you can get a demo at the link below:

http://maniax.dlsite.com/work/=/product_id/RJ035444.html

The demo link is the rightmost blue bar under the game picture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 27th, 2008, 9:00 am 

Make sure you have install East Asian support in the regional settings, also under Regional and Language options, goto advanced and select Japanese for Language for non unicode programs, also set Japanese as your region. This will fix the problem of Japanese filenames being treated as junk (and crashing computers). You will have to reboot and you may have to uninstall (possibly manually) the program as Windows will happily make folders with junk but has problems removing them, after this reinstall the game. You can tell if your system is Japanese as if you open a CMD prompt the \ symbol will turn into a Yen sign, it will also change other fonts in the system but you will still be able to run western software fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 28th, 2008, 2:54 am 

Yeah, I'd already done that. No dice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 28th, 2008, 5:31 pm 

Did you do it before you even thought about installing the programs onto the system?

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 31st, 2008, 11:54 pm 

I installed it on both a system which had normal (English) language settings, and then switched it, and then on a system that had Japanese options already enabled and set.

Same result both times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 1st, 2008, 6:41 am 

Go to the install directory and do a DIR to see if any of the files have been mangled. (ie come up like '6?1]9~4\.DAT' rather then へんたい.DAT), I downloaded and ran the demo fine on this machine (although this machine is running Windows XP japanese version....).

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 4th, 2008, 11:40 pm 

Checked through all the files, everything was named in standard (english) characters save the directory itself.

Renamed the directory, no change in behavior.

So it runs in Japanese Windows... no surprise, or the author would have gotten complaints... I wonder what call fails in English windows?

Actually, I think I know the issue... it looks like Microsoft's drop-in IME support is defective.

Could I possibly get the following Japanese Windows XP DLLs?

riched32.dll, imm32.dll

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 5th, 2008, 1:52 pm 

Those files may appear here...

http://www.filesend.net/download.php?f= ... a97f1bd042

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 5th, 2008, 2:00 pm 

Have you tried launching the game through AppLocale? It allows you to run code-page apps without changing your regional settings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 6th, 2008, 12:15 am 

Tried both dropping in the DLLs and using AppLocale.

Still no luck, I'm afraid. Thanks for the help, though.

AppLocale indicated I was already set-up for Japanese when I ran it.

Guess I'll have to try running the thing in a debugger and see what call aborts it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 6th, 2008, 12:59 am 

I have a feeling it's because the directory (rather then the files) is in Japanese is probably the reason it doesn't run, specifically as some of the calls to the directory get mangled along the way so the thing tries to find a directory with crap symbols in it.

As a last resort try to run the game using Virtual PC and a Japanese copy of Windows 2000.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 12th, 2008, 11:48 pm 

I'm really puzzled, there's an english version, and that has the exact same problem:

http://eng.dlsite.com/work/=/product_id/RE035444.html

Anyone with non-Japanese windows able to get this one to run?

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 13th, 2008, 12:40 am 

Actually it's not an English version, it's the Japanese version simply available through the English website.

I gave the demo a try on my US XP. It ran straight out of the box, with Japanese texts. I suspect the game is Unicode because I didn't have to switch to Japanese region settings. I didn't need AppLocale either. Or maybe the fonts are just bitmaps. Anyway, I didn't experience any CTD. I'm not sure what could be wrong on your system; maybe it doesn't have anything to do with language support but with DirectX or graphic drivers? As far as I can tell, the game runs in 640x480.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 13th, 2008, 4:25 am 

Got the exact same problem you did Ryo-Cokey and I've got Japanese selected under "languages for non-Unicode programs" along with the installation for all East Asian languages under "Regional and Language" options for Windows XP.

The website you mentioned says:
Quote:
To run this item, Japanese EUC (font) must be installed in your PC

Maybe we need a specific font? I can't seem to find one available for download though.

I've also had a similar problem with PlatineDispositif's latest game called Space Dynagon. If you can't access the demo page use a proxy of some kind.

Dynagon does the same thing. It goes full screen and then suddenly exits without any error message at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 13th, 2008, 4:51 am 

I'd think video drivers, but I've redone those, and it fails to work on three separate systems with three separate cards, and three separate monitors (2 LCD, 1 CRT.)

Looks like it's failing on screen mode initialization, but my card reports all 640x480 modes are supported.

Side note: Tried Space Dynagon, it fails in the exact same way.

Side note (x2): Space Dynagon exits and performs correctly while inside a debugger. The other games change video mode, then hang, once inside a debugger.