Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:58 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: April 8th, 2020, 6:44 am 

Hi. My name is Arthur and I'm a 22 years old Brazilian guy who happens to love "old computer games", especially "obscure" ones. I also love prototypes/alphas/beta/cancelled stuff, regardless of the platform. My favorite genres are RPG and FPS. I've actually joined this forum back in 2018 after reading about The Black Onyx for PC-88, thus starting my interest in the Japanese retro-computers - and also issues with the emulators :lol:

So, I'm now watching the OVA of Record of Lodoss War and discovered this PC-98 game and decide to give it a try. It's my first time with PC-98 emulators, and I'm having some problems with the CD-Rom part (think I like Floppys more :roll: ). I tried searching for some tutorial on that, but maybe I don't have the "keywords" to actually find anything. So, I would like some advice, maybe a link to some post/page where I could learn how to proper run PC-98 games on a emulator, specially with CD-Rom ones. Maybe I'm wrong, but from the little I've read, I guess the PC-98 is more likely to a "IBM PC" with some sort of DOS "disk-swapping" (boot discs and that stuff for instance).

And of course, I would love some recommendations, not only to PC-88/98, but any other Japanese computers. Most important ones of each system or "games that push the platform to it's limits" would be a cool start I guess...

PostPosted: April 11th, 2020, 2:12 pm 

Hi Arthur. There isn't a lot of activity anymore, and I personally haven't specificially run a lot things that were Japanese-emulation related for some time. I can't remember what the deal with the CD-ROM was, but there are some old staff articles that could help you, even though they are outdated by now. Nekoproject respectively variants of it are the most advanced emulators these days, also includes CD-Support.

http://fullmotionvideo.free.fr/pc98/art ... ticles.htm

A more recent basic emulation guide is here
https://46okumen.com/pc-98-emulation/

The PC-98 platform is indeed similar to IBM PCs, so it helps to have some understanding of DOS.

While you can run stuff from floppies, people mostly use harddisk images (HDI) if possible.

PostPosted: April 14th, 2020, 5:14 am 

Starscream the 2nd wrote:
Hi Arthur. There isn't a lot of activity anymore, and I personally haven't specificially run a lot things that were Japanese-emulation related for some time.

Thanks for replying. About the low activity, did people just stopped appearing here or there is a better place now?(like a discord server or something...)

PostPosted: April 17th, 2020, 4:09 pm 

I don't know, I never paid attention to any discords. People talk in all kinds of places today (Reddit etc.). and Japanese computer games is an extremely niche thing.