Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:26 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: August 31st, 2017, 8:15 pm 

So, I'm mainly here on these forums because I'm a preservationist of Japanese computer games, like a lot of you. The difference comes in what exactly I work to preserve. The most popular games that I see on these forums are rare games truly unique to these platforms, and while these interest me, I focus on certain things I rarely see mentioned on here: arcade ports.

Well, not entirely. I'm also working to preserve Hudson's Nintendo games (you might've seen my thread on the completely undumped Donkey Kong 3: Dai Gyakushuu), as well as most undumped versions of Door Door/mkII. But did you know that there are:

- Three undumped versions of Mappy (MZ-1500, PC-8001, PC-6001mkII/6601) (possibly four - is MZ-700 PCG version dumped? I thought I saw it somewhere)
- Three undumped versions of Galaga (MZ-1500, MZ-2500, S1)
- Two undumped versions of Rally-X (well, technically Rally-X for PC-8001 and New Rally-X for MZ-1500)
- One undumped version of Dig Dug (MZ-1500, possibly two - is the PC-8001 version dumped?) and
- Five undumped versions of Pac-Man (MZ-1500, MZ-2200, MZ-2500, MZ-700, MZ-700 PCG)

As I said, though, it's not just those. Undumped versions of Door Door/mkII and Hudson's Nintendo games are:
- Four of Mario Bros. Special (MZ-1500, MZ-2200, S1, PC-6001mkII/6601, and there might actually be a separate 6001mkII version from the 6001mkII/6601 version, not to mention the possibly-existing SMC-777 version)
- Two of Punch Ball Mario Bros. (MZ-1500 and S1)
- One of Balloon Fight (MZ-1500)
- Five of Door Door/mkII (PC-6001, PC-6001mkII/6601, MZ-1500, MZ-2000, Pasopia 7) and once again,
- All three versions of Donkey Kong 3: Dai Gyakushuu (X1, PC-8801/mkII, PC-6001mkII/6601, FM-7 version was planned but cancelled)

Now, I know that with the exception of Donkey Kong 3: Dai Gyakushuu, these games are all playable, just not these specific versions. But, and I'm quite possibly alone in this, at least on here, but I like playing all the versions of arcade games I like that I can. I enjoy comparing them back to back, seeing interesting quirks or gameplay features on some versions, and just playing them all in the first place. So, is anyone else on here like me and interested in helping to dump these ports? Because, as a warning, the 6001mkII/6601 version of Mappy went at one point in Beep for around 600 USD. I need some help in this.

If any games I've listed as undumped have their roms available, please upload them, or point me to where they are. If I missed any undumped ports, also let me know, and I'll add them to my list of ports to look for.

PostPosted: September 4th, 2017, 3:44 am 

Mario Bros for PC-8001.
http://www.geocities.jp/upd780c1/n80/list2/westside/
www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhJ1ZirkCNU

PostPosted: September 4th, 2017, 1:41 pm 

I forgot about that one, but it is on my dump list. Only undumped version of Mario Bros., at least that I've found.

PostPosted: September 4th, 2017, 2:34 pm 

Check this link:
https://mega.nz/#F!N5xXFSCC!DkC0mDgLPHp ... Q!YlZwzLIZ

There is e.g. Galaga for the MZ systems there. This is pretty much what is circulating around these parts, i.e. outside of specific Japanese hoarding circles.

PostPosted: September 4th, 2017, 4:25 pm 

Thanks! That definitely helps. What exactly do you mean by specific Japanese hoarding circles? Does that explain why there are emulator screenshots of games that are seemingly undumped?

PostPosted: September 4th, 2017, 6:46 pm 

Yes, by "circles" I don't necessarly mean notable communities that keep stuff though, sometimes it may just mean individuals. There is e.g.a guy which has a lot of Pasopia stuff, did even videos, but apparently no interest in making it available to a wider audience.

PostPosted: September 4th, 2017, 8:39 pm 

Is that the guy with the blog and who does a bunch of Pasopia and MZ-1500 on Youtube? When I thought Mario Bros. Special for MZ-1500 was undumped, I tried to contact him, never got a response.

A similar situation occurred with a different guy with the X1 version of Donkey Kong 3: Dai Gyakushuu.

PostPosted: September 5th, 2017, 11:57 am 

HAL Laboratory made lots of ports of Namco arcade titles.
http://www.geocities.jp/upd780c1/n80/li ... index.html
http://we-love-mz.sakura.ne.jp/wiki/?%B ... 8#g6a5d339
and these titles were also be ported to Commodore PET by HAL. I found Rally-X, Mole Attack and Galaxian of them but I don't know how to make the graphics display correctly on VICE emulator.

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2017, 3:11 pm 

Interesting, I'll look into that.

Donkey Kong 3: Dai Gyakushuu was sold at an auction that ended this morning. I unfortunately lost. If, somehow, anyone on here also wanting it for preservation purposes won, let me know.

PostPosted: October 28th, 2017, 7:52 pm 

each day passingn the memories crash & fade away.. :? :(

by example.. what about the "bronze age" of 70's arcade games ?!
there are very few saved games roms & the rare collectors who have the others dont answer anything when contacted :| . i think each month about one from Sega i knew when child.

"Secret base" 1976.

it's kind of "canyon bomber" but more sophisticated, & a little kind of "Worms" too as you can manage to launch the bombs playing with altitude . the principle was to dig with plane bombers a fallout protecting silos.

never found a similar game to play since

shame that each day, each month loads of games are dying somewhere or in the old warehouses or tapes/drives from 70's era , shame on Sega / Taito & co for having created such games & let them die without save :( :( :(

PostPosted: October 29th, 2017, 2:07 pm 

The Game Preservation Society and a few other Japanese organisations try their best to save what can be saved, but many arcade systems of the 1970s and early 1980s are already lost forever. You can barely count on the original manufacturers to preserve their own legacy.

PostPosted: October 31st, 2017, 7:41 pm 

anyone heard about this japanese collector ?! is he related to preservation society ? due to the very rare videos he proves, i can't think no one has tried to contact him previously there

BLUEEYES_WOLF

he has or had "Secret base".. the video is so faded it's hard to understand what's going on for someone who never saw it or played.. the video is 90° rotated. the 3 blocks are the silos hidden in the moutain to hit. the planes are flying left/right upside the mountain. some DCA guns can hit the planes. you have to move up/down to get a good angle. the bombs are rotating themselves, you can't control their direction, just their launching. the bombs dig the mountain, the goal is to dig enough during the timing session to hit the silos & it happens better with 2 players. there's a massive explosion fullscreen & sound when the silos have been destroyed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEL4PI_HPz0

"Alpha1" an english collector has the arcade too (contacted him several times but only answered he thinks it's faulty, alerted him about these games dying that he needs to send them to a guru tech, but never answered)

a good hunter, kos71, viewed during a pre-raid the arcade.. but when coming later again to save it, the arcade among others had been stolen ! :|

i located the place where retired the owner of the truck arcade when child, the truck is still there, but the games are gone :cry:

PostPosted: July 12th, 2018, 2:44 pm 

a copy of mario bros special for PC-6001 is being sold on suruga-ya. little expensive.
https://www.suruga-ya.jp/product/detail/153000019001
also, Rally-X for PC-8001: https://www.suruga-ya.jp/product/detail/154000118001