Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: July 16th, 2017, 7:56 pm 

In all my research, one the most interesting games I've come across is Donkey Kong 3: Dai Gyakushuu. Undumped and largely undocumented, it is need of much more research. This thread is for any new information that is found, but I've found a few things myself as well.

I recently discovered that Micom Basic Magazine ran ads for the game, as well as Mario Bros. Special. These contained beta boxart and screenshots of the games. (Starting in November, ads for Punch Ball Mario Bros. were also run, but as far as I can tell have no beta content.) In the post below I will attach images of the most noteworthy ads. More information about the games could also be on them, so if anyone is able to translate anything it could help give more information.

It also appears that the final box of Dai Gyakushuu has beta images. For reference, the box is here: http://aucview.aucfan.com/yahoo/147387416/

For further reference, the contact of Fumihiko Itagaki, the ITA on the title screen, is here: http://itagaki.eek.jp/contact.php Even though the contact page is for some reason in English, be sure to write in Japanese. I made that mistake and thus wasn't able to get much out of him.

Finally, I also have some places to rule out, and some to keep an eye on. Trader has retro computer games, but is a bit newer than the game and doesn't go past the 8801, so don't expect to find any MZ games or anything there. A Surugaya store also stocks these types of games, but I don't know much besides they didn't have it a few weeks ago and that the prices of them were either very low or high depending on the game. Beep also had a copy, but no longer does. Not completely sure on their Saitama location, though.

I'll post any of my other finds as well.

Edit: It's not letting me upload any. It says the upload quota has been reached. Is there something I'm missing?

PostPosted: July 19th, 2017, 3:06 pm 

I have no idea what the status of attachments is. I generally use external hosts since I generally assume that forum limitations are too severe anyway.

Are Micom Basic issues available online somewhere? So far I've only found one at archive.org, and it's from 1988.

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2017, 1:02 pm 

Long time no see,everyone.

Here is the ads of Hudson soft where from Micom Basic Magazine Dec.1984
http://fast-uploader.com/file/7056284171033

pass tokugawa

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2017, 4:57 pm 

Delicious_R wrote:

Here is the ads of Hudson soft where from Micom Basic Magazine Dec.1984
http://fast-uploader.com/file/7056284171033

pass tokugawa

Thanks, where did you get them? Do you have some issues yourself? This confirms a theory I've had about Hudson's Nintendo ads, that two issues in a row would have identical or near identical ads. This nearly matches the November issue's ads, but Punch Ball's font is red instead of black (in the final it's dark blue). Seeing as November was the first time Punch Ball was advertised in this magazine I thought it might have been a rush job, but this boxart would suggest otherwise unless Hudson was sending in outdated content to Micom.

If you have scans or images of any other issues let me know. I found an image of random issue, but it didn't show the whole page and I have no idea when it's from. I'm uploading my scans to a site and will post them shortly.

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2017, 12:47 am 

Uploaded: http://nintendoera.com/images/

Using my old outdated site for now.

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2017, 1:33 am 
Did you happen to take a look at the catalog available at Sasaji's page by chance? It might help you somehow.
It's not quite what you're looking for but it does a terrific job transcribing the summaries from the magazine.
It's missing a few numbers though.

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2017, 8:27 am 

Hello.
I scanned that magazine by myself a few years ago.
looking back.....i had plenty of time spending my hobby.
But this year, I will come back in the top 10 post in the Tokugawa forum.
Because recently my skill of English has fallen...

Off the subject, i have Nov.1984 issue of Micom..but that wasn't scanned.
I was wondering if you could be so kind as to wait a few weeks....

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2017, 12:05 pm 

kaze hakase wrote:
Did you happen to take a look at the catalog available at Sasaji's page by chance? It might help you somehow.
It's not quite what you're looking for but it does a terrific job transcribing the summaries from the magazine.

That's awesome. Related, Archive.org has a collection of I.O magazine.
https://archive.org/details/iomagazine?sort=titleSorter
Some other mags, including two additional issues of MicroComputer magazine from 83 can be found if you click on the uploader's account.
I'm blown away by the sheer magnitude of content in the mags, the ads alone are hundreds of pages.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2017, 4:09 pm 

Starscream the 2nd wrote:
Related, Archive.org has a collection of I.O magazine.
https://archive.org/details/iomagazine?sort=titleSorter

kaze hakase wrote:

Unfortunately, neither seems to have any information about Dai Gyakushuu, or even Hudson at all. Despite all the ads in I.O, Hudson doesn't seem to have ever sent them any.

Delicious_R wrote:
Hello.
I scanned that magazine by myself a few years ago.
looking back.....i had plenty of time spending my hobby.
But this year, I will come back in the top 10 post in the Tokugawa forum.
Because recently my skill of English has fallen...

Off the subject, i have Nov.1984 issue of Micom..but that wasn't scanned.
I was wondering if you could be so kind as to wait a few weeks....

I already have the November 1984 issue and have documented it. Do you have any others from later on?

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2017, 3:12 pm 

Donkey Kong 3: Dai Gyakushuu was sold at an auction that ended this morning. I unfortunately lost. If, somehow, anyone on here also wanting it for preservation purposes won, let me know.

PostPosted: October 5th, 2017, 5:01 am 

hudson124 wrote:
Donkey Kong 3: Dai Gyakushuu was sold at an auction that ended this morning. I unfortunately lost. If, somehow, anyone on here also wanting it for preservation purposes won, let me know.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/t534035592 This?
crazy price for its rarity. i have seen some copies of this game was sold on yahoo auction for the past years and the price was always very expensive (above 10,000 yen). old games preservation is always costly.

PostPosted: October 5th, 2017, 6:15 pm 

Yep. The only other price record I've found was one back around 2009 that went for something like 7,750 yen.

I will see to it that someday this game is dumped.

PostPosted: October 5th, 2017, 10:08 pm 

Is this game THAT rare? I mean 10,000 yen is pretty cheap compared to what you see for a lot of the other Japanese systems. Any of the harder to find Pyuuta games for instance easily sells for more than that, I know how much I had to pay to get some of those dumped. So honestly, 10,000 is not crazy at all if the game is that hard to find.

I'm not particularly interested on the system at this point and am more focused on other more obscure systems, but whenever a new auction shows up give a heads up here and I'll try to contribute with something, hopefully others will too.

PostPosted: October 6th, 2017, 1:03 am 

It really is that rare. You have point about the price, but I've only found four recorded auctions since 2009, including this one from a few days ago.

The fact that this is still undumped is extremely bewildering to me. You think that if not one of us, some Nintendo fan or another would've gotten their hands on it by now. Maybe they have and are just hoarding it. I tried to reach out to someone on Ameba with a copy, but all that's come out of it is that Ameba keeps spamming me every couple of days.

PostPosted: October 6th, 2017, 4:46 am 

Of course the game is already dumped by someone, but just being hoarded. Unfortunately this is something we will always have to deal with when it comes to Japanese systems, most Japanese guys have a hoarding mentality when it comes to this stuff and won't make the dumps public no matter what.
You can see examples just about everywhere with dedicated websites showing pictures of games running on emulators, but their dumps are not available anywhere.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next