Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 11:27 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: February 28th, 2018, 10:09 pm 

Wow that is a daunting list :( Probably need to prioritize what we want to get dumped.

PostPosted: March 1st, 2018, 1:19 am 

missumj wrote:
I got the cassette tape and dumped by myself.
I started the Sharp X1 undumped game list thread.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1755

Good work on the list, but I suggest you sort the titles alphabetically (using the English title) inside each publisher so it's easier to find them.

I understood you dumped the tape, but did you share the dump?

Hubz wrote:
Wow that is a daunting list :( Probably need to prioritize what we want to get dumped.

Unfortunately this is the current state or most Japanese computer systems... and I'm sure there are still a lot of titles missing from it.

PostPosted: March 1st, 2018, 5:25 am 

brolly wrote:
missumj wrote:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1755

Good work on the list, but I suggest you sort the titles alphabetically (using the English title) inside each publisher so it's easier to find them.

Now each publisher was sorted by alphabet. And here is the dump.
Attachment:
snakegame.zip [1.85 KiB]
Downloaded 218 times

Hubz wrote:

Yes it is a desperate list.
I think there is little time left for preserve old games. Old games released on magnetic media (cassette tape or floppy disk), they degrade as time goes by, maybe some can't be loaded after a few years. Some games even already lost all copies. Wish someone can make every endeavors to do it (get in touch with Japanese dumpers, or even game publishers and authors)...

PostPosted: March 1st, 2018, 10:53 am 

missumj wrote:
Wish someone can make every endeavors to do it (get in touch with Japanese dumpers, or even game publishers and authors)...

Most Japanese dumpers enjoy hoarding roms so it's useless to try to get in touch with them, a lot of the games from your undumped list are already dumped, but will remain hoarded in someone's computers and are just shared between very closed circles. Stupid mentality, but it is what it is.

Thanks for the Snake Game rom!

PostPosted: March 1st, 2018, 10:59 am 

missumj wrote:
brolly wrote:
missumj wrote:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1755

Now each publisher was sorted by alphabet. And here is the dump.
Attachment:
The attachment snakegame.zip is no longer available

Hubz wrote:

Yes it is a desperate list.
I think there is little time left for preserve old games. Old games released on magnetic media (cassette tape or floppy disk), they degrade as time goes by, maybe some can't be loaded after a few years. Some games even already lost all copies. Wish someone can make every endeavors to do it (get in touch with Japanese dumpers, or even game publishers and authors)...

For the "Snake Game" (PC-8001mkIISR) here the TapeToDisk Games Compilation 136 for the X1

Attachments:
136_ChampCompEtc.zip [145.74 KiB]
Downloaded 241 times

PostPosted: March 1st, 2018, 4:31 pm 

If a group of people wants to join up and seriously try to tackle this I am all for it. I've already been doing this on my own along with brolly for the past couple years. We once had a shot at a huge Bandai RX-78 collection to get dumped but it ended up going for $1400+. We just can't do that between 3 people, we need more help.

If you've seen my other posts I've already dumped and scanned a lot of PC98 games, and I spent thousands doing that as well as Famicom Disk System games. You can see my stuff at http://www.gamingalexandria.com. I'm not saying this to brag I'm saying this to show how serious I am, but I need others that are serious too. I'd love to form a dedicated group! Like brolly said, I don't know if we can count on other groups having done this previously ever releasing their stuff. Hopefully they will eventually but to be sure I'd rather just do it myself and actually release it for all to use. Like brolly said though time is of the essence as these disks will die sooner rather than later. Heck a fair chunk of the PC98 games I received weren't dumpable.

I would avoid buying from Ebay unless it's a good deal, Yahoo Japan is much more reasonably priced. It would be ideal if we had someone in Japan we could get most of this stuff mailed to, scanned and dumped but that's a lot for one person to take on. I don't mind doing it but shipping to the US is pricey.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts if you're interested.

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2018, 12:42 am 

Thanks for sharing what you can Anna, forgot to say that!

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2018, 4:28 am 

Hubz, I wish I could help, but my dumping days are over. I've already sold off most of my hardware, keeping only a pc88 and a pc98 with a couple HxC floppy emulators for personal use.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2018, 7:24 pm 

Bumping this because of an idea I have. I would've been here sooner, but I didn't realize this thread was still active.

What I think some of us should try to do is break into groups based on what some of us wants to preserve more than others. For instance, I mainly go after Hudson's Nintendo games and Dempa's arcade ports, so that'd be a group. Another example might be people who mainly go after compilation tapes/disks. As long as there's enough people putting money into each group, we could divide and conquer.

Is anyone interested in this idea?

Hopefully I'm not the only one interested in dumping arcade ports. Because in 2018, there are four or five undumped versions of Pac-Man (mainly for the MZs).

PostPosted: March 13th, 2018, 1:42 am 

3 undumped Sharp X1 games are being sold on Mercari Japan.
https://item.mercari.com/jp/m87471825156/ The Deep / Crazy Stone (Nihon Micom Gakuin)
https://item.mercari.com/jp/m54711307974/ SL / Gyakushuu Chika Teikoku (Nihon Micom Gakuin)
https://item.mercari.com/jp/m59308516569/ Sasurai Ninja (Hudson)

PostPosted: March 24th, 2018, 2:05 pm 

I'm personally fine with concentrating on something, if you want to chase down Dempa and Hudson games let's go ahead and do that.

Missumj, nice finds! Does anybody have the ability to dump sharp x1 tapes? We could grab these three.

PostPosted: March 25th, 2018, 3:28 pm 

Hubz wrote:
I'm personally fine with concentrating on something, if you want to chase down Dempa and Hudson games let's go ahead and do that.

Missumj, nice finds! Does anybody have the ability to dump sharp x1 tapes? We could grab these three.

A normal cassette tape player (like Walkman)? I tried to dump PC-8001 games with one, worked. But I don't know about X1...

PostPosted: March 26th, 2018, 2:56 pm 

Ah didn't' realize it was potentially that easy. You just plug that into a computer and dump away?

PostPosted: March 26th, 2018, 3:23 pm 

Hubz wrote:
Ah didn't' realize it was potentially that easy. You just plug that into a computer and dump away?

Yes. I just connected the player to computer, recorded the tape, used the tool "cmt8001" to convert the wav file to .cmt image.
For X1 I know a tool called "えっくす8RL1" (X8RL1), which can convert X1 wav file to .tap image. It just can run on MS-DOS. MESS castool maybe can do it too (its official site says it supports X1 wav file).

PostPosted: March 30th, 2018, 11:51 pm 

Wow, this thread exploded.

I’m definitely willing to help dump any games. I have a fully fledged setup, including a 3” disk drive and the CZ-8RL1 for cassettes. I have made the cable for use with X8RL1 as well.

Also, thanks Anna for the dumps!

Side note:
Does anybody know how to convert a cassette tape game to an autobooting disk? I tried using Hu-BASIC and JODAN-DOS, but my knowledge of these operating systems is severely limited by language barriers

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next