Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:30 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: December 7th, 2016, 11:36 pm 

Basically just looking to what I can get my hands that is affordable and display them at our local game expo here to drum up interest in this fascinating machines. I could always do emulators but that loses the true feel of it all. I doubt 80% of English gamers have any ideas these machines existed but they would love to see such oddities as Punch Ball Mario etc.

Does anybody have any good ideas where I can located PC6001,PC88,MSX etc models that are affordable? Ebay prices are always so all over the place or non-existent. Yahoo Japan I look at but it's not easy for a non-english speaker like me to see what I'm really buying and almost always I'm unable to bid through proxy bidders for some reason. Prices are also all over the place and I ALWAYS GET SNIPED >:|

I'm not looking to get a steal on these and will pay whatever the proper value is. But it's just very hard for me to figure out what exactly that is :) If anyone could help it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

- Hubz

PostPosted: December 8th, 2016, 9:49 am 

Yahoo is your only chance. There are no bargains to be had in vintage Japanese PC's. If you get sniped then you didn't bid high enough to begin with.

An MSX2+, PC88 or 98 will cost you above 10.000¥ on average, and with shipping and proxy fees the price will prolly double.

Your only other option is waiting for some Japanese PC forum or facebook group member to put one up for sale. Even then you'll have to pay the price.

PostPosted: December 8th, 2016, 3:25 pm 

Weird I"ve been bidding around $125-$150 on most but never win. But I'll just have to keep trying. Thanks for the info!

PostPosted: December 8th, 2016, 3:59 pm 

Also one more quick question, what is the overall best PC88 model to get for compatibility? I know the later models have better sound but wasn't sure if many games actually used it and if they had issues with earlier games.

PostPosted: December 8th, 2016, 10:30 pm 

I am not well versed enough to comment on the PC88. Although, I do believe that the newer FM hardware was backwards compatible with the older FM.

PostPosted: December 9th, 2016, 3:24 am 

Nice I'll have to look into that... going back and forth on a MSX2 vs MSX2+ since so few games take advantage of the MSX2+'s capabilities.

PostPosted: December 9th, 2016, 7:36 am 

There were more MSX2 models made than 2+, and 2's tend to sell cheaper. Personally I chose the 2+ because I wanted the best I could get in that price range. Maybe one day I'll get a Turbo R.

You'll just have to look at the games that interest you and decide whether the price bump is worth it.