Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:13 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Cash for screenshots
PostPosted: August 14th, 2015, 11:37 am 

As you all know I'm working on Volume 2 of my book about Japanese games. It's long, tiring, difficult, and fiddly. I don't have time to edit everything, design everything, and still be taking screenshots. So I want to try an experiment.

I've got a deal with HG101 and MobyGames to use their screenshots, but they don't have everything, especially not obscure computer games. I've been screengrabbing where I can, but doing so for each game results in lost 10 minute segments throughout the day. Even longer if I need to trawl for the disk images.

I will pay $2 per screenshot, via PayPal.

If this works out well, I'll expand the list below. Basically I'd like between 1 and 2 screens from each game listed. If you've got a full archive of games it shouldn't take more than an hour to boot them up and grab some.

Screens can be from a game's early parts, as long as they look interesting for print and are different to each other (don't just move the character an inch and take a second, try to find a different scene) - absolutely NO title screens, option menus, or trickery like that. Only gameplay images that make people want to play the game. In the case of DIOS, for multiple systems, each screen for each system must be different - I don't want them all of the planet surface.

Native resolution only - no anti-aliasing, no resizing, none of that malarky. PNG format preferred. Don't dump a hundred screens on me, please just provide up to 2 screens per game listed. I reserve the right not to use any I dislike.

If you've already taken screens and have them hosted somewhere, and want to donate them for free to the book, I will credit your name and/or website. Alternatively feel free to link to websites that won't care if I use their screens. Please don't steal someone else's screens.

PROTIP: as a games journalist, I used to save time by screengrabbing the attract sequence for games, which usually show later parts of the game to entice players. This is acceptable - all I want is stuff that looks good.

I NEED SCREENS FOR:

Algarna - X1
Algarna - X68000
The Curse of Mars - X1 (what is this?)
Slimyer - X1 or X68k (I have no idea what this game even is)
Tigunasu no Bouken - X68000
Yume Dokei - X68000
Metal Sight - X68000 (something nice - this game usually looks quite ugly)

That's about $50 worth of screens requested. I've got a 30 page chapter on Xainsoft, so the list will possibly expand at some point, assuming this works.

DONE:
DIOS - PC88
DIOS - X68000
DIOS - MSX
Gage - PC98 (this looks interesting, maybe take 3 screens)
Valusa no Fukushuu - X68k (late game stages ONLY)

Last edited by Sketcz on August 25th, 2015, 11:13 am, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Cash for screenshots
PostPosted: August 16th, 2015, 3:27 am 

I have a bunch of screenshots from the PC-88 version of Dios, I'll send them over to you.

EDIT: Is the spelling of "Valusa" in Valusa no Fukushuu confirmed by the game's author or just another 3rd party interpretation of the kana? Asking because the HG101 article still has it as "Baruusa", which cannot be right.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2015, 6:32 am 

Cheers! Will reply to the email a bit later.

I copy and pasted the title from Mobygames... I've also seen it "Valusa" around the internet. To me that sounds more natural.

As for the interview... He mainly did DIOS and other games, but not Valusa. He spoke a lot about arranging the advertising for the game, but I can't recall mention of the romaji spelling. It's not been transcribed yet so I can't check.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2015, 7:19 am 

I played a bit of GAGE lately (intro dungeon, second-option dungeon below the intro, and the dungeon after that) and have sent three screenshots as suggested to your inbox. How much can you say Mickey has mentioned about the game?

PostPosted: August 16th, 2015, 10:44 am 

derboo wrote:
EDIT: Is the spelling of "Valusa" in Valusa no Fukushuu confirmed by the game's author or just another 3rd party interpretation of the kana? Asking because the HG101 article still has it as "Baruusa", which cannot be right.

Isn't it related to the Tritorn (トリトーン) games? The last boss in Tritorn is 'PAY-VALUSA' (ペイ・バルーサ)

PostPosted: August 16th, 2015, 11:02 am 

Don Rumata wrote:
I played a bit of GAGE lately (intro dungeon, second-option dungeon below the intro, and the dungeon after that) and have sent three screenshots as suggested to your inbox. How much can you say Mickey has mentioned about the game?

Cheers - those are perfect. Will reply to your PM in a moment.

We didn't discuss it at all. It was a long-ish interview, but we didn't talk about every game in his company portfolio. We spoke a lot about pinball, how he got involved in it, MaBoShi (at the request of a high level backer), and that unreleased game... Seraph? There's a topic on here somewhere. Got a detailed explanation. Plus his work at Falcom. He started age 14 and worked alongside Yoshi Kiya.

I can ask him via email. He said he'll be writing some recollections of Satoru Iwata, given recent sad news, so I can ask him about GAGE if you want more than a title listing and screenshot. Hopefully he's not too busy to add something.

Trickless wrote:
derboo wrote:

Isn't it related to the Tritorn (トリトーン) games? The last boss in Tritorn is 'PAY-VALUSA' (ペイ・バルーサ)

Ooh, fascinating. I think I'll put Trickless in a footnote.

It was by the same company that made Tritorn, so that sounds quite likely.

PostPosted: August 25th, 2015, 11:15 am 

No one interested?

Could I then request links to where I can download some of the titles? I don't need all of them, but I'd like to get at least couple more for Mindware's predecessor.

PostPosted: October 4th, 2015, 6:16 pm 

I sent a PM. Let me know if you're still working on this.

PostPosted: October 5th, 2015, 12:12 pm 

I should have most of them covered now, thanks. :)