Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 11:26 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: January 9th, 2013, 11:29 pm 

Maybe this is not the right place to ask, but I'm getting pretty desperate lately so please forgive me - this community is really my last resort.... Recently I've started collecting Daphne SINGE games and I can't find two of them anywhere. I still need Space Pirates (a 2008 Windows remake, english language version) from American Laser Games and Time Traveler from Sega. Does anybody have them by any chance and be so kind to share, please?
Edit: Now I only need Time Traveler.

PostPosted: January 16th, 2013, 7:12 pm 
i have not played this game.

PostPosted: January 16th, 2013, 11:46 pm 

Of course you haven't played it, believe me you couldn't do that even if you wanted to because this misses the original video needed by Daphne SINGE which the installer rips from DVD. The whole and properly installed game is much, much bigger. :) To be able to play it I need a DVD image of the game and install it from scratch with a special installer (which I already have). But I still appreciate your effort, thank you very much.
Maybe some things will become clearer when I show what kind of game is this. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbl_23GwjJ8

PostPosted: January 17th, 2013, 3:22 am 

There were some possibles up on usenet:

[Laserdisc - Misc] - [ROMShepherd.com] - SINGE Misc - "timetraveler-v2.rar" 797.88 MB alt.binaries.emulators.misc 11-Aug

[REPOST - Laserdisc Mpeg Files Non Daphne] - [ROMShepherd.com] - Time Traveler - "Time
Traveler.part1.rar" yEnc (1/547) 200.00 MB alt.binaries.emulators.misc 15-Aug

I don't know if those are what you seek.

The only Space Pirates version I could see is for 3DO.

Ooops. No, I found:

[Laserdisc - Misc] - [ROMShepherd.com] - American Laser Games Windows Conversion Series [06/19] - "Space
Pirates [win].rar" 542.45 MB alt.binaries.emulators.misc 11-Aug
[Laserdisc - Misc] - [ROMShepherd.com] - Singe Emulator [78/88] - "SINGE Space Pirates
Installer.zip" 186.66 MB alt.binaries.emulators.misc 12-Aug

PostPosted: January 17th, 2013, 4:38 am 

The size of the Hologram Time Traveler iso image (DVD) ~ 4.6GB which contains the normal and the 3D version for using anaglyph glasses.

Daphne SINGE need not at all.
Normal version: ~ 850MB
3D version: ~ 1340MB

Daphne SINGE - Hologram Time Traveler

Daphne SINGE - Hologram Time Traveler - normal version

Daphne SINGE - Hologram Time Traveler - 3D version

PostPosted: January 17th, 2013, 2:21 pm 

peter_j wrote:

Yes. I've found those too, but unfortunately they're long dead. And please don't bother with Space Pirates anymore, I've got them already. Thank you very much for your concern.

Anna_Wu wrote:
Daphne SINGE need not at all.

That's right - SINGE was created mostly for people building up their own arcade cabinet. It's also not needed to play Windows re-releases of American Laser Games like Mad Dog, Space Pirates (which I was also looking for) or Crime Patrol, as all of these games run fine without it. But I prefer to play them all under Daphne SINGE because the installers prepare them to be more arcade like - you have to insert credits for example, just like on the original arcade. This may sound stupid, but I really like this feeling.
I hope that one day I'll find that ISO or at least properly ripped video files which will run with SINGE... Thanks for the info about the size of the game.

PostPosted: January 17th, 2013, 2:36 pm 

cpt. Misumaru Tenchi wrote:
peter_j wrote:

Yes. I've found those too, but unfortunately they're long dead. And please don't bother with Space Pirates anymore, I've got them already. Thank you very much for your concern.

They are still available on Easynews via HTTP.

PostPosted: January 17th, 2013, 3:21 pm 

Great news! Then I should be interested in this one:
[Laserdisc - Misc] - [ROMShepherd.com] - SINGE Misc - "timetraveler-v2.rar" 797.88 MB alt.binaries.emulators.misc 11-Aug
but unfortunately I don't know much about usenet. :( How to download it? Any helpful tips for me to start, please?

PostPosted: January 17th, 2013, 3:45 pm 

cpt. Misumaru Tenchi wrote:
unfortunately I don't know much about usenet. :( How to download it? Any helpful tips for me to start, please?

That is a huge subject, but here is the quick version.

Traditionally usenet runs on the NNTP protocol which is quite difficult for the uninitiated. A more recent development is the .nzb file which is a simple index of all the parts making up a usenet post - you can get .nzb grabbers and they make the NNTP easier. But don't despair...

You need a news host that has fair completeness ( all the parts of messages ) and a good retention ( the parts don't expire too soon ). There are many of these. One of them, Easynews ( which I use ) allows you to have 10 "zip files" of up to 2GB each which you can download via HTTP. Easynews has about a 6 month retention on HTTP, and much longer on old traditional NNTP. What you do is browse a newsgroup such as alt.binaries.emulators.misc using their web interface by posting date, or using their global search, available when you have an account, at:
http://members.easynews.com/global4/search.html

You select the files you want, then select one of your 10 "zip files", press the Add button, and they make you a zip file of your selection. You open the "Zip Manager" and there are HTTP links and other stuff. You leech away. You can go clear old zip files when done.

Easynews seems to have a 14 day free trial. You can look at:
https://www.easynews.com/

Usenet is a huge subject, but I hope that helps a bit. Those files you want have about 20 days to go before expiry, so don't wait, or you'll have to have fun with NNTP :wink: .

PostPosted: January 17th, 2013, 11:04 pm 

Thank you very much for all the explanations - seems like it's not so complicated (yeah, I know that's only the tip of the iceberg). Unfortunately, even if it's free you still need to have a credit card or a PayPal account and I don't have neither. Tried both way, the registration doesn't let me pass. Just my luck. :(
You're mentioning NNTP and NZB files. I've tried that method (with Binreader and another usenet client which name I don't remeber right now), but as I wrote before there wasn't even one part available to download.
I'm starting to believe there are some strange powers at work to not let me get this game. But I won't give up, I'll grab it somehow one day...

PostPosted: January 18th, 2013, 12:29 am 

I used to hang around newsgroups long before surfing the web. Those were the days! Now good luck to find an ISP providing full access to Usenet. Mine silently dropped support half a decade ago.