Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Genghis Khan IV (Win)
PostPosted: March 29th, 2012, 1:53 pm 

I'm sharing a few old Japanese Windows games in the coming days/weeks, beginning here with Genghis Khan IV, released in 1998 by Koei. Gamefaqs gives the title as
Genghis Khan: Aoki Ookami to Shiroki Meshika IV
the image files (CloneCD) themselves are named as 蒼き狼と白き牝鹿IV.

It's still a strategy game of course, but looking quite different compared to it's predecessors.

You may also notice the partial English menu if you clicked on the screenshot.That's something I did with the help of resourcehacker.
Basically, it's possible to easily view and edit the menus in this and other Koei games of that time by simply opening the installed game executable with the programm. (a fresh install with the image provided will of course be untouched). The game is probably also compatible with AGTH.

Download here:
Code:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/p7jq57m78sd3k8o/GK4.7z/file

Power-Up Kit
https://www.mediafire.com/file/obx0cjlxd6cvc0z/GK4+Puk.7z/file

Last edited by Starscream the 2nd on July 5th, 2021, 4:27 pm, edited 9 times in total.

PostPosted: March 29th, 2012, 3:11 pm 

Thanks for the upload!

PostPosted: March 29th, 2012, 10:16 pm 

Ah, the poor neglected member of Koei's warsim trilogy (overshadowed by Sangokushi and Nobunaga no Yabou).

Nice upload, thanks. :)

If anyone cares, in the title "Meshika" should be "Mejika". That's how most people would pronounce it.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2013, 3:15 pm 

Hi pals, cheers from Italy!
At last I've been able to join you into this forum! I'm so glad that somebody has taken care to translate this game!
I have played so many times the II chapter but I never could even approach the IV due to Japanese language!

Starscream (lol, using Terence Hill's avatar! :) ) , I have tried to follow your advices and I have had an hard time to figure out how you did your translations! And was lucky to guess that I had to use DaemonTools to open the ISO that you have uploaded!
Sadly, the exe just covers part of the text: the remaining is inside some of the *.CK files. I have no idea about how to open them and eventually translate them, since I can only make translations by copying plane text into Google translator and then figure out which translation has the best meaning.

May you give some more hints about?

Also, I wonder if this game is really worthy of such effort for a translation: as far as I could see, it sounds as an advanced and improved version of Genghis Khan II, but for other elements it looks closer to the Romance of the 3 Kingdoms.
Eg, I still don't understand if at Koei have kept the so many unit types that characterized Genghis Khan II, because it looks like I can hire only archers, footmen, horsemen and naval units (I think). But maybe I am wrong.

Anyway, this is the raw translation that I've made by my own, and can severely be improved if any of you is willing to help!
from my Dropbox: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/465 ... ishExe.rar

Hope to hear any of you soon, bye! :)

PostPosted: August 29th, 2013, 7:15 pm 

I can pretty much only say that Legend of Cao (Sangokushi Sousouden) was translated a few years ago, and the Koei strategy games of the era look all like they use a similar engine. For a full translation which would include message texts and the like, it might be possible to base hacking on that example.

PostPosted: August 31st, 2013, 9:31 am 

Hi Starscream! I have asked on the website that you suggested me and the girl named Lady Wu has suggested me to use UltraEdit to open the CK files and it works, but making translations is a pain: I really have to strictly respect the spaces used by Japanese letters and also the game gets corrupted (but does not crash) if I translate some parts, as the region names for Scenario 1: I think that some parts are hardcoded.

Also, I can confirm that the "Messages.CK" is an hell: not even Google translator may get the meaning of the text!
This project really requires much better skills than the ones that I have, both in Japanese language and in Hex coding.

I can't do that as long as I'm alone! :(

I'll leave here my exe, if anybody may be willing to keep on the translation.

Attachments:
File comment: Raw English translation of GK IV exe
GenghisKhanIV-EnglishExe.rar [589.43 KiB]
Downloaded 475 times

PostPosted: September 5th, 2013, 6:30 pm 

Oh, a little something about the title. The "Genghis Khan" bit is part of the title; it's right there in the title bar of your screen, haha. Good to know about the "mejika" bit, by the way; most people just don't bother to look into those things. Anyway, for all zero who care:

-蒼き狼と白き牝鹿 (Aoki Ookami to Shiroki Mejika) <-- The first game in the series. 1985 to 1986 across PC-98, PC-88, FM-16, MZ-2500, MSX (1), FM-7, and X1. Kinda hard to search for (:V); fortunately I noticed that ja.wiki has the same article for the first two games, because:
-蒼き狼と白き牝鹿・ジンギスカン* (Aoki Ookami to Shiroki Mejika: Genghis Khan (Jingis Khan)) <-- Second game, though it's commonly seen as an updated version of the first, despite IV really being the fourth game! 1987 to 1990 across PC-88, PC-98 (I think), MSX/2, X68, FC (!), DOS, and Amiga, as well as a 2002 Windows release (25th) and a 2007 mobile phone version (both like so many other Koei games). This is the one the US and Europe got as just "Genghis Khan"; the DOS and Amiga versions are indeed part of these localizations.
-蒼き狼と白き牝鹿・元朝秘史 (Aoki Ookami to Shiroki Mejika: Genchou Hishi) <-- Third game, this is the one everyone knows, kinda like Bushou Fuuunroku. 1992 to 1993, across PC-98, MSX (!), FC, SFC (Super Aoki[...]), MD, MCD (!), PCECD, plus a 1998 PlayStation version, and the 2003 Windows rerelease (25th Vol.6) of what is probably the PC-98 version. "Genghis Khan II: Clan of the Gray Wolf" and all that; this game is well known enough in the US that they actually got the VC release (SFC version) before Japan's!
-チンギスハーン・蒼き狼と白き牝鹿IV (Genghis Khan (Chingis Han): Aoki Ookami to Shiroki Mejika IV) <-- And here we are with the fourth game, actually numbered this time, now bearing a completely different transliteration of his name. 1998 to 1999, there's only this Windows release and a PlayStation release, though I see a 2002 Teiban entry at least, and what seems to be a SOURCENEXT rerelease once Koei gave up support though I can't make out the details. There's also a Powerup Kit.

(heh, the en.wiki page uses tokugawa as a reference)

Last edited by Despatche on September 5th, 2013, 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 5th, 2013, 7:28 pm 

That makes some sense ;)
Even if it doesn't help at all with my attempt to translate the game.

PostPosted: September 5th, 2013, 8:06 pm 

Yeah, sorry to get your hopes up (: () Just saw something about the title in the first post and the pedant in me felt the need to speak out. There are way too many Koei games and releases for them, so I was trying to make a full list... that's what I found about Blue Wolf here.

Speaking of, though, do you have the Powerup Kit? Maybe it adds some of the things you're missing (units). I don't know what any of the PKs usually do, haha.

(I've really gotta stop writing "Bushin Fuuunroku". : ()

PostPosted: September 6th, 2013, 5:48 am 

No, what is it? Anyway, I've explained already why I can't go further.

PostPosted: September 6th, 2013, 3:31 pm 
I think this is one of nice games.
I had played this game and snes version of Super Aoki .. so many times about 10 years ago.

I extracted Japanese texts from Genghis Khan IV with power up.
Attachment:
texts.zip [222.69 KiB]
Downloaded 391 times

It seems to have over 7000 texts,and there are a lot of historical proper names.
It'll take some time to translate the texts.
I have no skill to translate these Japanese to English.
If I do this job,it would be Engrish.

PostPosted: September 29th, 2014, 8:07 am 

Please reupload.

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2014, 1:28 pm 

I've supplied new links.

PostPosted: May 29th, 2015, 1:11 am 

Please reupload Genghis Khan IV again, the links are dead.

PostPosted: December 28th, 2016, 5:26 pm 

New links, the second one also supplies the Power-Up Kit now !