All times are UTC

Post subject: X68000 Gamebase
PostPosted: May 13th, 2009, 6:24 pm 

Possible you will interest.
Games only TOSEC. I so think.

http://www.gamebase64.com/forum/viewtop ... 0b00201d59

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 14th, 2009, 11:00 am 

Yeah, it looks like TOSEC, at least I didn't spot anything not in it immediatly. It's still a nice effort, though some screens are a bit unpresentative of specific games. There is also some bonus stuff included, like userdisks, and SX-windows (which is apparently how you run the Sim-ports like Sim Ant.).

The how-to.txt also lists also the not included disks from Tosec (Might & Magic, Rogue Alliance and Silent Moebius) anyone know what's up with those? They are apparently in an unrecognized format.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 14th, 2009, 2:09 pm 
Site Admin

Imho Vfic might be the way to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2009, 9:10 am 

>Starscream the 2nd

I downloaded the image files for Might & Magic, Rogue Alliance and Silent Moebius and they have most or all of their disc images in a strange format that I have not been able to open with any of the four x68000 emulators for windows or with any tool for x68000 discs that runs on windows, such as XDFWIN. All of these unusable files have the extension .img. If I knew how to open these images and get the files inside out of them, I would have created working images for use with x68000 emulators years ago.

I believe that we will have to buy these three games and make our own disc images to share online to replace these img files.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 7th, 2009, 10:38 pm 

Silent Moebius, Might & Magic II and Rogue Alliance in D88 format:

Link

PW=ashura5

Silent Moebius only works in XM6 for me though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 8th, 2009, 3:13 am 

>Ashura

Thank you very much for these converted images. I can't get Silent Moebius to work in XM6 though. I get an error about a buffer overrun and the program crashes. How can I solve this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 9th, 2009, 10:15 pm 

Maybe not enough RAM?
I usually have it set to the maximum of 12MB so I don't notice these things.
Otherwise I have no clue. Maybe you could provide some more information about where and how it crashes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 13th, 2009, 3:17 am 

I DON'T WANNA MARRY!!!!!!! STOP FUCKING WITH MY HEAD!!!

ahaha sorry, couldn't resist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 13th, 2009, 9:38 am 
Site Admin

Aww spam is back ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 30th, 2009, 5:32 pm 

>Ashura

I solved my problem when using the newest version of xm6 (version 2.06). But I have another concern. Do you know a way that I can convert the d88 to dim format? Tosec is using DIM for all disk images right now and I can't convert those d88s to DIM. I even tried reading the discs in human OS and copying their files to a blank disc of another format but the OS can't even explore the contents of the discs. but for some reason the emualtor can still play the game. I really don't understand why this is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 8th, 2009, 8:20 am 

I've been lurking around in the background for quite some time now but finally decided to become a member just so that I could say my piece regarding the TOSEC Japanese sets for X68000 & PC98. I created the original sets for both of these systems. Originally there was NO specific disk format supported by tosec. The only thing that was specific was the naming convention which Idoru and myself documented (this was probably revised by Idoru on his own after I vanished from the scene for a few years). The original intention for TOSEC was to be able to correctly identify/catalogue and rename images for any system that was being worked on. And ideally verify that the images would work on either an emulator or the original machine.

Granted for the these two Japanese systems there are many different image formats for the disks as well as the Hard drive images to contend with. But the aim was simple create a working disk image that could be catalogued and identified by anyone that was interested in the system that had a copy of the relevant dat file.

I pretty much gave up on TOSEC renaming when it was decided to create yet another renaming utility and use that in preference to CMPro, Yes I am biased, I do like CMPro and never really got on with the other renamer TIM.

My memory may be a little bit fogged but I definetly worked on the original versions of the following dats :-

Acorn Archimedes
Acorn BBC
Sharp X68000
PC98
Sinclair Spectrum

And probably a few more but my memory gets the best of me. I know that Crokk I think took over doing the PC98 stuff and I remember at least a couple of guys worked on the spectrum dats other than myself (this was extremely usefull as we were just starting on all the russian formats and I didn't have a clue).

I still have somewhere a box of about 12-15 CD's full of Japanese software for the the X68000 that some kind person sent me from Japan when he saw that I was working on the X68000 renaming. If I remember correctly I only managed to work through about 4 or 5 cd's before Real Life got in the way and I vanished from the renaming scene for a few years. Not sure if it's all X68000 or if there was also some PC98 stuff on the discs.

Anyway the main reason for this post is to say why should TOSEC restrict itself to a single image format, If the image works then it should be included. I myself was extremely dissapointed when whoever took over the sets dropped most of the image formats, especially the HD formats as they were for novices the quickest and easiest ways of trying the games.

Rant mode off :)

The C0llector

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 9th, 2009, 12:31 am 

No one wants just one format for every set. That'd be hard to work around, especially considering conversion problems that can sometimes make games unplayable.

Also, does this mean we'll see more games that have yet to be listed? *puppy eyes*

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 16th, 2009, 7:45 pm 

>>C0llector

Thank you for your message. I also don't quite understand or agree with TOSEC's seeming policy on formats. I believe you were the one who made the sharp x68000 set that I heavily modified for TOSEC. I think it was a very good start but no one had contributed more to it after you were done. Thank you for your work.

Not too long after I completed my work for TOSEC, another person modified my work mostly for the worse. All hard drive images were removed and some valuable notes were removed on games too. Also the person made some erroneous notes such as [h] on something that was not a hack (which was probably because the game has something that looks like a trainer in the beginning but is really not).

As for the actual formats of importance on X68000 for software, I believe that there are only 4: (1) unprotected floppy disk images (2) protected floppy disk images (3) hard disk images (4) CD Roms. Almost every disk image that appears on x68000 is a file of type (1). Everything that you submitted to TOSEC is of such. Only games that I submitted to TOSEC awhile ago and hadn't been able to work, namely the games Might & Magic, Rouge Alliance, and Silent Moebius, are of type (2) (There seems to be some non-game software that also may be of type (2) but i'm not sure). Also regarding type (1), the person who modified the x68000 for TOSEC after me converted all the floppies to DIM format. I don't believe that there is any problem with this and they all seem to work fine, and I believe that all of the non-protected floppy image formats are interchangeable and work equally well. So I will be keeping with this convention and converting all of the floppy images to DIM or maybe all to XDF, since XDF seems like the most commonly used format for x68000.

Type (3) is more complex and interesting than the floppies. When using X68000 emulators, mounting a hard disk image really isn't so easy or obvious as mounting a floppy disk image. Also, for a game that has one or two floppies only, there is no need to ever change floppies during game play so it's not important to use the hard disk image. The game akumajo dracula is a good example of one that has a well-known hard disk image and yet is a game of only two floppies. Using the hard disk makes running the game harder. Some games have a lot of floppies but are RPG type games which are slow paced compared with action games and already require some significant ability to read japanese. So the the person who plays such games should be able to read the screen that asks a player to switch a disk, and it shouldn't feel like a big break in game play to do so. But there are cases when having the hard drive image is valuable. I recall a shooting game that comes as an installer on floppy disks. The installer installs itself to a hard disk from which the game runs. Having the hard disk image is a good addition to the TOSEC set, I think. And then consider the game Super Street Fighter 2 for x68000. When I submitted the TOSEC set, I didn't have the floppy disks for it. In fact, I stil to this day do not have the floppy disks for it. I only have a hard disk image. So when the person who came after me removed it from the set, he removed it completely because there are not existing floppy images in the TOSEC set to compensate for this deletion.

As for format (4), TOSEC has a rather stupid policy that CD-Roms should be dumped by people who own them and that apparently two different members should own the CD and cross check the dumps with one another. This may be good for commonplace CDs but X68000 has very very few CDs. I wrote about the available CD Roms for the system in another post but these CDs are expensive, rare, and, rather than being games, seem to all be compilations of disk magazines. It is unlikely that any one outside of Japan even wants to spend $50.00 on each CD Rom of such sort just to add it to TOSEC. I found two such CD Rom files and plan to be release them in a TOSEC-like set after I finish up with the next revision of the games. Whether TOSEC approves them or not, is up to them, but I'll present my whole collection as a finished whole work for people to download from here and elsewhere.

Now what interests me the most is that you said you have 12-15 CDs for X68000! Can you please share that data here. I will go through it and rename it in the TOSEC style.

Finally, regarding PC98, the TOSEC set seems named nicely but is extremely incomplete. A friend and I are working on renaming that software lately, although I'm finishing up with x68000 first. It will take long to get near complete with that project although I think we will get a lot done.

By the way, I mention TOSEC often, but what is the life of this project like anymore? It seems to nearly be dead. I went to the irc channel of it a few months ago and it had about 10 people in there and 2 were talking. Then I went back in a few weeks on and off and no one spoke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 19th, 2009, 11:10 pm 

Tosec is not dead. The new forum is http://www.tosecdev.org/index.php/forum/index.php .

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 20th, 2009, 12:43 am 

Yeah, TOSEC's whole purity crusade kind of turns me off.

I think at one point they wanted to scrap all installed HDs for "original" disk images.

Most people want to play games, not collect digital obscura.