Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently April 19th, 2024, 11:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Galaxian Spoof (X68000)
PostPosted: March 24th, 2008, 4:46 am 

This game has been my white whale for six years, since I lost the file to a system upgrade in 2002. I found it on a site called the X68K Games Pile, and while the Galaxian parody didn't work, there was another file buried on the ROM that played a bizarre game of Karateka. There were no enemies, the graphics were scrambled, and after about five screens, you'd be shoved back into a river and you'd hear the old Jolly Green Giant slogan ("Ho ho ho, Green Giant!"). I've got a little more information about it on this page:

http://www.lakupo.com/grblitz/classic_green_giant.htm

I haven't been able to find this game since the X68K Games Pile went offline back in the early 2000s. I even downloaded three gigabytes of X68000 games, and although there were hundreds of games in the torrent, Galaxian Spoof wasn't one of them. Could anyone help me track down this elusive game?

On a side note, was anyone able to get the Garou Densetsu (Fatal Fury) games working on an X68000 emulator? I've had no luck with this so far. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 4th, 2008, 2:17 am 

It's a known fact Jordan Mechner had a loony sense of humor, so it's possible he wanted something silly in the Japan port and ergo had the company record that sample and add the Jolly Green Giant himself into some part of the game. I'm not sure Green Giant was sold over there at the time; it looks to me, however, like the image you have was probably a bad dump. As near as I can figure it, the Green Giant was probably an Easter Egg, or some hidden boss that messes around with your character and tries to throw him in a river. But that's all speculation; for all I know of the file's history it could just be a fan joke like the Galaxian spoof.

Sad to say, though, this is the first I've heard of either game being ported to the X68000.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 5th, 2008, 1:12 am 

Thanks for the response and information!

http://web.archive.org/web/200003012331 ... games.com/

Here's an archive of the old X68K Games Pile web site. I don't know what happened to the guy responsible for the site, sadly. If anyone does know, please tell me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 5th, 2008, 7:56 am 
Site Admin

I didn't remember there was some french staff ! Nice to see this page again ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 5th, 2008, 1:26 pm 

x68000 is history. but no worries. you could be a parts of this forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 28th, 2008, 3:39 pm 

That site was run by an old friend of mine back in the Efnet #x68000 days. It was before TOSEC, and the moderator got a CD full of x68k games from Japan, and he was wanting to release most if not all of them thru the Games Pile site a few at a time. Didn't make it very far, obviously.

A few of us also ran the the Human Xperiment site...I believe that site may still be around, tho not updated anymore.

Unfortunately, I dunno what the guy's up to now, I gradually dropped out of that group cause of my growing interest in playing music and chasing skirts (I was 14...)...It's prolly been 10 years since I talked to any of those people.

I really wish X68k was more popular...I think it's my favorite retro comp system.

ArugulaZ wrote:
Thanks for the response and information!

http://web.archive.org/web/200003012331 ... games.com/

Here's an archive of the old X68K Games Pile web site. I don't know what happened to the guy responsible for the site, sadly. If anyone does know, please tell me!