Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:02 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: April 5th, 2008, 9:28 pm 

Errm... Anyway...

I don't know about the X1 version Rey, as the map layouts are different, but I had read the PC88 version had 20 levels. Can't say anything about an ending screen, but I bet there will be at least a Game Over one ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 6th, 2008, 9:02 am 

Yep, I was talking about the PC88 version.
So 20 levels... hmmm. I guess I'll give it a try and see what "ending" I get :P

Thanks for the help as always.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 8th, 2008, 7:09 pm 

I think I'm gonna make my first request here.. :oops:

Super Mario Bros. Special (by Hudson)

For any platform other than PC88. I think it got released on X1. Probably on FM7 too.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 8th, 2008, 9:01 pm 

Personally, I have not got it : the only versions I came across being the PC-88 version mislabelled (maybe on purpose, but I see evil intent everywhere) as the X1 one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 8th, 2008, 10:55 pm 

As far as I know, those Nintendo games published by Hudson only came out on the PC88. At least SMBS did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 8th, 2008, 11:08 pm 

The X1 version is quite confirmed, but there is no trace of a FM-7 version to be found. Others Nintendo titles have been also released for the X1 by Hudson (Those have always been pirates' favorites on their compilations ;).

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 9th, 2008, 2:25 am 

Yes, the X1 certainly received a port of SMBS then.. no wonder isn't listed anywhere. It is on tape right?

The FM7 port was just a guess, as it received mario Brothers Special I figured that maybe SMBS was ported too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 9th, 2008, 5:11 am 

Interesting.
Anywhere I could find that X1 SMBS image?

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 9th, 2008, 7:51 am 

Regarding Hudson's Famicom conversions, the exact same titles were released for the X1 and the PC-88. Golf, Tennis, Excitebike, Ice Climber, Balloon Fight and Super Mario Bros. Special. The games are generally identical, the only notable difference being that the X1 versions are more commonly found on cassette tape, the PC-88 versions on disk, reflecting the most common software formats of that time for the respective platforms. These all came out around late '85 to early '86. Previous to this spate of conversions, Mario Bros. Special, Punch Ball Mario and Donkey Kong 3 were all released in '84 for a wide variety of systems. The FM-7 recieved only the earlier arcade conversions, most likely because by late '85/'86 the original FM-7's star was falling and Fujitsu was already pushing the FM-77AV as it's next big thing. Also, the FM-7 gained a reputation early on as a haven for "serious" adventures and RPGs, and was never really considered a viable platform for action titles. All of this probably figured into Hudson's decision not to release the Famicom conversions for that system. One other interesting note of trivia is that the X1 version of Donkey Kong 3 was released on the then-new "quick-disk" format that Sharp briefly experimented with (and quickly abandoned) for the X1, before bringing it back for the not-too-successful MZ-1500. The small handul of quick-disk X1 releases are quite rare today, for obvious reasons.

-warinobaril

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 9th, 2008, 10:40 am 

wushu wrote:
Yes, the X1 certainly received a port of SMBS then.. no wonder isn't listed anywhere. It is on tape right?

It is usually mentionned as being on disk - though I have no commercials to back it up I am inclined to believe it, as the PC-88 title was a SR floppy (which lead people to believe it could have scrolling and stuff ; the technology lie was already really effective back then ;).

By the way, what is this quick-disk format you are mentionning, Warinobaril, and what was its purpose ? I confess I had never heard about it - not that I heard a lot of things about the X1 anyway ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 9th, 2008, 11:45 am 

Hi Danjuro. The quick disk was a format developed by Mitsumi. It was supposed to be faster, more reliable and more compact than other forms of disk storage. It generally was, but when Sharp tried to utilize it for the X1, it never really caught on. Then, they tried again a year or so later with the MZ-1500, which had a quick disk drive built in. However, the MZ-1500 also never really took off and they abandoned the whole idea. Mitsumi didn't give up, though. They had a manufacturing relationship with Nintendo, and a slightly modified version of the quick disk system became the famicom disk drive. And they all lived happily ever after!

One other note regarding Hudson's Famicom conversions - they also intended to release Pinball for the PC-88, PC-98 and X1, but it ended up getting scrapped for unknown reasons.

Going back to the subject of Kagirinaki Tatakai and other X1 tape realeases, there were quite a few other X1-exclusive Enix tape games back in the early days. Unfortunatley, many are horribly rare and obscure, and there's a few real gems to be found. I could probably whip up a quick list of these if anyone's interested.

-warinobaril

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 9th, 2008, 1:26 pm 

Danjuro wrote:
Personally, I have not got it : the only versions I came across being the PC-88 version mislabelled (maybe on purpose, but I see evil intent everywhere) as the X1 one.

Do you have the good dump ? I think i have a bad dump from:
Code:
http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.com/special.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 9th, 2008, 3:18 pm 

warinobaril1974 wrote:
Going back to the subject of Kagirinaki Tatakai and other X1 tape realeases, there were quite a few other X1-exclusive Enix tape games back in the early days. Unfortunatley, many are horribly rare and obscure, and there's a few real gems to be found. I could probably whip up a quick list of these if anyone's interested.

First, thank you for the info, I had absolutely no idea the FDS origins laid there. Considering the obvious durability of the format versus standard floppies (or is that because people collecting them are maniacs ;), it is a shame it didn't live up.
Anyway, I would be quite interested in a list : while sorting my X1 mess, the only exclusives I came across were Kagirinakitatakai and Brain Breaker (quite an oddity this one is!), and I am only aware of 5 others. Early Enix was great at spotting talented people... Speaking of which, would you happen to know if Miyata did any other works, beside Zaxus and Fan Fun? I have been trying to hunt the guy down - the stalker in me, I guess - but he just seems to have disappeared.

BergerH wrote:
Do you have the good dump ? I think i have a bad dump from:
Code:
http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.com/special.htm

I did a comparaison in an hex editor, and I have the exact same dump, excepting for a modified header, giving the floppy a proper name. I didn't play that game much (not a big fan of Mario to begin with), but it seemed to be working. Maybe the bundled emulator is to blame? Or maybe the game itself, even ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 9th, 2008, 5:00 pm 

@Danjuro

Thanks for the info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 9th, 2008, 6:11 pm 

So, does anyone have that Super mario Bros. Special X1 image or is it hard to find?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next