Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 29th, 2008, 9:14 am 

ryukyurhymer wrote:
after trying a bunch of games, I think I found much interest in Shangrlia 1 (for some reason, I found 2 unenjoyable so far..).

I'm pretty sure Elf games require a bit more work as the text is embedded in the binaries. What you can do is use a hex editor to search for a string of Japanese text. This requires that you are able to view S-JIS characters w/ the hex editor.

I found Mad-Paradox from Queen Soft to be fairly straight forward to edit. Maybe you want to try another Queen Soft game like Curse to see if it's easy to hack. Not sure if an English DOS version came out as the copy I have is missing all the dialogs, but I know there's a FM-Towns version for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 29th, 2008, 12:13 pm 

ryukyurhymer wrote:
hi guys,

I wonder if it is because it is an HDI file? I tried loading Air Management 2 (which is FDI) in directed and found the fonts in 1bpp mode quite easily.

but im more interested in working with an s.rpg :(

Maybe you should try to work with sole files, not the whole HDI. You can use anxdiet to extract them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 29th, 2008, 1:40 pm 

The original lakers game was pretty easy to translate, with almost all the text in external files, and only a few menu options in text in the EXE. I did part of it, but ran out of time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 29th, 2008, 1:54 pm 

I reckon a translation of the PC98 Tekkaman game would be pretty worthwhile considering there is a horde of western Tekkaman fans that would check it out. Its also BY FAR the best Tekkaman game that was released (gameboy and sfc tekka games suck mass balls)

Also of course an english translation of say.....YU-NO....would be awesome. Come on theres not THAT much text :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 29th, 2008, 4:00 pm 
Site Admin

I'd gladly dig into Pat-Labor btw :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 2nd, 2008, 5:24 am 

Cool, i didn't know I had anxdiet all this time in my Anex directory.

but noob question.. how do I use it? i applied it on Shangrlia and saw all these files but then what? it just seems to show me the files and nothing more (like going in them, viewing them, etc).

off topic:

any of u guys Street Fighter fans? I was the first to upload some new clips of Sagat and Bison
http://youtube.com/user/RyukyuTwo

i was surprised how much responses I got in a day lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 2nd, 2008, 1:11 pm 

Anxdiet allows you to simply drag the files with the mouse! You can just drag them to the hd (and back).

As for Street Fighter, I like the series, but have mixed series about IV. The look feels a little off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 2nd, 2008, 1:21 pm 

street fighter is good but I guess something have make it quite boring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 2nd, 2008, 7:41 pm 

Translation is a really good idea for European fan too ! :wink:
Do you know where i can find some PC98 games translated into english ?

Thx. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 2nd, 2008, 8:15 pm 

ryukyurhymer wrote:
hi guys,

after trying a bunch of games, I think I found much interest in Shangrlia 1 (for some reason, I found 2 unenjoyable so far..).

I tried taking a stab at it earlier today by searching for the fonts and graphics but completely failed in finding them when using a tile editor :(

I wonder if it is because it is an HDI file? I tried loading Air Management 2 (which is FDI) in directed and found the fonts in 1bpp mode quite easily.

I don't get it, you're using a tile editor with HDI and FDI images? You should extract the files within them and work with that, you know..

Look here for a file insertion/extraction tool:
http://fullmotionvideo.free.fr/forum/vi ... .php?t=166

EDIT: I see that already were told to use anxdiet. If it's difficult/unpleasant to use, give DiskExplorer a chance =P

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 3rd, 2008, 5:06 pm 

wushu wrote:
ryukyurhymer wrote:
hi guys,

I tried taking a stab at it earlier today by searching for the fonts and graphics but completely failed in finding them when using a tile editor :(

I don't get it, you're using a tile editor with HDI and FDI images? You should extract the files within them and work with that, you know..

Look here for a file insertion/extraction tool:
http://fullmotionvideo.free.fr/forum/vi ... .php?t=166

EDIT: I see that already were told to use anxdiet. If it's difficult/unpleasant to use, give DiskExplorer a chance =P

thanks! but now a jillion files came out and now i gotta figure out which one contains the graphics for the fonts hmmm

this really is quite different from hacking a console rom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 4th, 2008, 3:04 am 

ryukyurhymer wrote:
this really is quite different from hacking a console rom.

Indeed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 4th, 2008, 5:15 pm 

I just tried 4 other games to see if it was Shangrlia that was giving me a hard time or if all the games are like that.. and I think (to some extent) it is just Shangrlia. Extracting its contents gave me a jillion files that were not descriptively named. I tried some other games like Air Management and it produced much less files, and all of which were easily named "i.e Menu, char, plane, face" etc. but no success in finding viewable graphics except for one game where I was able to clearly see the graphics using "gg/neogeopocket/ 4bpp" mode. is everyone else using the same tile viewers that were primarily developed for other consoles?

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 6th, 2008, 12:41 pm 

May I draw everyone's attention to King Mike's search for a translator for 46 Okunen Monogatari (PC98-version of the Snes EVO game), including a script sample:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.p ... 870.0.html