Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:11 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
 Post subject: Re: Sharp X68000 Uploads
PostPosted: July 11th, 2020, 7:04 pm 

This is awesome ! Thanks a lot to everyone involved :D

PostPosted: December 30th, 2020, 7:29 pm 

2021 is coming and I'm still looking for guided ms... :lol:

PostPosted: June 20th, 2021, 8:41 am 

:idea: did anyone got this demo ? a STG game : Gun burrel. came to the website talking about the fightergame, but couldnt find more..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vup9RRMueaE&t=88s

https://twitter.com/Guardic_Gaiden/stat ... 0114770944.

Last edited by pro7 on September 18th, 2022, 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 12th, 2021, 4:06 pm 

Hi, anyone have this hdf set? I have been trying to find it for a while now

[Sharp X68000][ROM SET] Full X68000 HDF Romset [NTSC-J]

This is a FULL sharp x68000 hdf(hard-drive file) set. 155mb

The download has 2 different files inside 1 folder contains all the commercial releases in hdf format such as strider,super streetfighter 2,akumajou dracula(castlevania),real bout fatal fury.....and so on.
The second folder contains doujin shmups and homebrew releases.

This was uploaded by fumanchu who has done wonderful work for the retro gaming community but is now difficult to find. If anyone has the pack, could they upload? or provide a link

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: September 14th, 2022, 2:48 pm 

We all know about the "arcade perfect" ports of the X68000, but did you also know that these are the least interesting games on the system? Since its launch in ???? the various ports have been re-released over the years, in equally perfect or improved formats. Failing that there's MAME. Why waste time on arcade games available elsewhere when this system has several fantastic exclusives found nowhere else?

The system had thousands of games, especially when you take into account home-made doujin soft. To put it another way, to dive into the world of the X68000 is akin to doing the same with the Amiga or ZX Spectrum home computers. All are distinct ecosystems which have some overlap with arcade, computer, and console games, but are so rich with their own unique creations and social culture, that it's quite bewildering.

This is not a definitive list of any kind. Such a thing is impossible until players outside of Japan fully explore and document its back catalogue. Rather consider this a fleeting glimpse of an as yet mostly unexplored new frontier in retro games.

For anyone wanting to explore retro Japanese computers further, I can strongly recommend the Tokugawa Forums.

So the announcement of the X68k mini:
https://www.timeextension.com/news/2022 ... ni-console

I decided to get back into this computer, since it's been a long time since I wrote about it or played its games:
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/JPNcom ... puters.htm

Then I thought, most people outside of this forum obsessively only go on about the arcade ports. I have less than zero interest them. I have MAME. What I am interested in, is the system exclusives. Stuff like Geograph Seal, or Barusa no Fukushuu! (I had lunch with one of the guys from the company that made Barusa - AMA.)

Anyway, I lost my X68k archive years ago, so I compiled a list of games I want to check out and I have questions.

1) In 2022 what is the easiest and best emulator, especially if I want to take screenshots? Please do not recommend RetroArch, I have tried for years to get it working smoothly, and it gives me nothing but trouble! So I'm boycotting it. Also I mentioned MAME above, but I don't like MAME for similar reasons - too fiddly. What is easy?

2) I'm going to post a list shortly - in terms of exclusives, have I hit most of the bases? I was mainly into PC-88 and PC-98 back in the day, so never dug too deep into the X68. Am I missing any obscure classics? How many games even came out on the system? How many commercial versus doujin? I feel like there's thousands of cool oddities that we're missing out on.

3) Can some kind soul ZIP up the games with (!) after the title? MyAbandonware has quite a lot of games, but not all of them. I cannot find Gardis Light or Last Tempest for example. Apparently Last Temple is a pain in the ass to get running? Does anyone have pre-made quick load files for it?

I realise pulling together download is a big ask, so as thanks I will send you a free PDF of my book, The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers, rather than having to buy a copy off Amazon. :)

Where do most people go to download X68 games?

Most of the links on here died years ago.

MY CURIOSITY LIST:

Akazukin Cha Cha Cha
Aquales
Barusa no Fukushuu (!)
Blade of the Great Elements (!)

Chijou Ikusa
Chiteisenki (!)
Cho Ren Sha 68k
Choujin
Dancing Sword (!)
Die Bahnwelt
DIOS (!)
Dive On
Duel Fighter
Etoile Princess
Flame Wing
Gamma Planet
Ganbare Paichan
Gardis Light (!)
Geograph Seal
Goddess' Blazeon
Jeena no Taibouken
Knight Arms
Lagoon
Last Tempest (!)
Lyrical Party (!) - (like Popful Mail?)
Mad Stalker
Marchen Maze
Metal Sight
Neural Gear
Partial Axiom
Pizza Busters: The Final Task (!)
R+R (!)

Red Arms
Reinforcer (!)
Silk Road 2 (!)

Star Cruiser (English!)
Star Wars
Street Harrier (!)
Twin Soul
Undeadline: Genjuuki (!)
Ys I (!)

Any recommendations?

PostPosted: September 14th, 2022, 4:31 pm 

Emulator: I personally use XM6g.

Games: what about the Neo Kobe collection (sticky topic)?

PostPosted: September 14th, 2022, 4:52 pm 

Kaminari wrote:

Games: what about the Neo Kobe collection (sticky topic)?

I just came here again to edit my post and say: I went and downloaded a full collection off the Internet Archive. :D

It's a different one, 16 gig, but hopefully it's got what I need.

Thanks for the emu rec too. :)

PostPosted: September 15th, 2022, 10:34 am 

Kaminari wrote:

I tried this and it said "Not a true Win32" app. I was trying to run it on my XP game rig, which I have all my emulators on. I was using the 32bit x86 folder, so I cannot fathom why it wouldn't work.

I ended up digging out an archive DVD with High Speed Win68 on it. That managed to load up all the games, so I guess I'm using that. :cry:

Pity it has no screenshot button - hitting "print screen" is not conducive to getting the best shots. Ahh well, I just need one for each game in the top 15 or 16 that I write about. :roll:

Does anyone have a figure for how many X68000 games exist?

Wikipedia says about 820. Joseph Redon of the Game Pres Society says probably less, given the computer was not massively successful.

In the collection folder I downloaded (16gig), there's about 640 in the commercial game folder, and over a thousand folders in the doujin/homebrew sub-folder. So... :?:

PostPosted: September 15th, 2022, 6:53 pm 

Not sure about this error message, since XM6g is available in 32 and 64 bit versions.
But it might be that the included Microsoft runtime libraries are not compatible with WinXP.

Instead you could try XM6p (Pro), a fork by Mijet. It's supposed to be compatible with Win2K.
https://mijet.eludevisibility.org/

PostPosted: September 16th, 2022, 9:03 am 

Many thanks! Will try a bit later when back on my XP rig.

PostPosted: September 17th, 2022, 5:35 pm 

about the demo shmup "Gun barrel", it's on cd archive, called CD-Kawara (the most known doujin game from this is streetfighter XVI.. but can't even find an iso..), did someone figured or saved it ?! apparently some appeared in YJA

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/l610247241

found one line mentioning in 2013, talked about the CD KAWARA version while eating with Zenkai Seisakusho members
http://www.interq.or.jp/japan/zenkai/

懐かしのX68000対応同人ソフト「えくCD KAWARA版 巻之七」CD-R です。

the folder for the demo shooting game from video, seems called, gbyokoku

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15