Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 11:47 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: February 19th, 2022, 2:06 am 

Hi all, I've been trying to register an account on this site for a while since it came back online, but had some issues. My account was finally approved today (thanks Ben).

It is with much sadness and regret that I inform you that long-time forum member "Peter_J" (Peter Job - for those who knew him personally) passed away in early December last year. Some of you are likely familiar with his disk archiving efforts from a number of years back, and of his various websites, such as http://retroprograms.com and http://slt.retroprograms.com (Super! Lonely Terminal). I had the honor and the privilege of meeting him in person numerous times, and many items in my vintage computer collection were very kindly donated to me by him.

Peter had a great passion for vintage computers and software of all types, not only Japanese systems, but also IBM compatibles, 8-bit era stuff, and anything in-between. Over the years, he amassed a large collection of many different vintage computers and hardware, most of which he ended up donating to a friend in 2017. It was around this time that I also came to know Peter, and also ended up with some of the stuff from his collection during his clean out. Peter was an amazing individual. Kind, intelligent, and incredibly fascinating to get to know. I am honored that I got to spend the time with him that I did, and my only regret is that I did not get to meet him much sooner in life. He will be deeply missed.

This forum was one of Peter's favorite sites, and I believe he was quite saddened when it went offline. In October, he found out that I had made an HTTrack archive of the forum back in April of 2020, and he put up a mirror of it on his slt.retroprograms.com page. Unfortunately, this was the last time that I would ever have any contact with Peter again. I have archived all of Peter's websites that I know of, as I don't know if his family will continue to pay for their hosting and I know Peter would've wanted his software archives to remain accessible for the foreseeable future. I have not uploaded the mirrors of his sites anywhere yet, but if anyone ever notices any of his websites go down, please let me know, and I'll sort something out for his archives.

PostPosted: February 19th, 2022, 4:21 pm 

I'm incredibly saddened to read this horrible news.
I fondly remember Peter he already was one of the pillars of this community when i joined back in 2009. He helped me many times and his dedication, kindness and knowledge was extraordinary. I really admired his desire to share and help other people.
May he rest in peace...and I hope his work will remain online like he surely wished. If I can help somehow feel free to ask.

PostPosted: February 19th, 2022, 4:23 pm 

Hello RetroM,

Thank you for informing us of Peter's passing. This is terrible news. Peter contributed a lot to this place and I'm sorry the forum was down at the worst time possible. We got the forum back but we lost a major contributor. RIP Peter.

PostPosted: February 19th, 2022, 7:20 pm 

Man that's awful and he was a really great person who had a lot of obscure games

PostPosted: February 19th, 2022, 7:45 pm 

I've spent a lot of time digging into the Retroprograms site back in the days... these are very sad news. RIP Peter.

PostPosted: February 19th, 2022, 9:59 pm 

That's very sad news. Thank you for informing us of Peter's passing. He has done a lot for the whole community.
RIP Peter.

PostPosted: February 20th, 2022, 5:34 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you RetroM for passing on the information to the community.

Peter_J contributed immensely to this forum since 2008 and I am deeply saddened by these news.

My thoughts go to his family and loved ones. Rest in peace Peter.

PostPosted: February 21st, 2022, 12:31 pm 

Sorry to hear it. Peter was a pleasant guy who helped me with a number of emulation issues over the years.

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2022, 6:38 pm 

This hits like a punch in the gut.

I've seen Peter_J amidst the Japanese computer scene going back over a decade now. In fact, any time I stopped by this forum, and I seem to recall a couple of other places, I'd always first recognise his chirpy smiling avatar.

He was always polite and showed a level of kindness and good etiquette which is rare in the online world. I wasn't very active in these forums, but I can't imagine not stopping by and seeing Peter_J being his usual affable self.

Do we know how/why he passed away?

PostPosted: February 25th, 2022, 7:09 pm 

Just saw this sad news :(

You will be missed peter - RIP

PostPosted: February 28th, 2022, 6:09 am 

I'm very sad,too.
He is a very nice person and I cooperated with him as much as possible.
It's very disappointing.

PostPosted: March 1st, 2022, 1:58 pm 

RetroM, Thank you for telling us the important news.
I'm so sad, and really missing him.
I'm also very sorry for him that he never knew his favorite forums had come back.
Rest in peace, Peter!

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2022, 6:09 am 

Very sorry to hear that. he was the light of this forum. i will never forget how he helped me to find some pc-8801 stuffs. rest in peace.

PostPosted: March 10th, 2022, 11:05 am 

Thank you all for your kind words. It's heartwarming to see how much Peter meant to so many people. I'm currently in the process of getting Peter's websites ready to be moved onto new hosting, and I'll let you guys know when that's all done.

PostPosted: March 10th, 2022, 8:14 pm 

I opened this thread figuring I'd read about someone who never had the slightest impact on my life, and you tell me that Peter_J was the person behind Super! Lonely Terminal. Suddenly, I realize the world has lost a kind and dedicated benefactor.

Life is too short. I'm going to make the most of my day.

Peter's profile is here.