Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 12:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Japanese DOS games?
PostPosted: February 4th, 2018, 11:37 pm 

Anyone knows any site with info (and downloads) for Japan exclusive DOS games? I'm mostly interested in english friendly ones like platformer, fighting, shmup, etc. and there is very little info online. isozone has a few games and there are some more scattered around, but not much for what I'm seeing.

I recently found out Rusty also had a DOS release and I had no idea about it so I'm sure there are a few other interesting games that I'm missing.

Post subject: Re: Japanese DOS games?
PostPosted: February 5th, 2018, 3:45 pm 

Puyo Puyo 2 is a dual PC-98 / IBM CD. There are a few like these, but other than Puyo nothing else from the genres you seek comes to my mind. Totsugeki! Mix I think has a IBM DOS version too, and since that's also C-Lab that might also be Japanese like Rusty I suppose. Usually those are for Chinese/Korean DOS, Japanese DOS titles are really much fewer.

PostPosted: February 6th, 2018, 7:45 am 

I have Puyo Puyo 2 already, puzzle games like that would also be interesting do you know any others?

Totsugeki! Mix seems nice, but the only download link I can found for it was the one you posted 5 years ago:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1336

And now it's of course dead, any chance you could reupload it? Seems to be Chinese though, but still looks cool and would like to try it out.

Chinese and Korean DOS games are easy to find, but Japanese ones are very very scarce can't even find a good listing of what had DOS releases. I'm sure NEC machines popularity in Japan versus IBM PC has a lot to do with this.

PostPosted: February 7th, 2018, 3:39 pm 

PC-AT machines were never popular in Japan before the release of Windows 95. I suspect you'll find more games for Japanese Amigas than for Japanese DOS.

PostPosted: February 7th, 2018, 4:31 pm 

brolly wrote:

Totsugeki! Mix seems nice, but the only download link I can found for it was the one you posted 5 years ago:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1336

And now it's of course dead, any chance you could reupload it? Seems to be Chinese though, but still looks cool and would like to try it out.

Oh yeah, I forgot I uploaded that. You can get it here now:
http://www108.zippyshare.com/v/M3GtGDBA/file.html

I had I look in my DOS/V folder, and most is just the usual Hentai stuff. There is nothing there that isn't also on PC-98.

PostPosted: February 8th, 2018, 12:26 am 

Thanks for the upload! Yeah most of the stuff you can found online are hentai games it seems. Still, if you come across anything interesting please share it :)

@kaminari: Don't know about that, I don't think there are any Japan exclusive Amiga games at all. If there are I'd be very interested on hearing about them that's for sure.

PostPosted: February 8th, 2018, 12:40 pm 

Good evening!Everyone!

you can get a bunch of dos games
have a good time!

http://fast-uploader.com/file/7073649069497/

pass:sss

I recommend "DEPTH100".
I used to play that at that time....

PostPosted: February 9th, 2018, 8:27 am 

Thanks, I will check it out! Definitely a lot of them to try.
Could you provide some more info about those games, they don't seem to be commercial retail games so maybe magazine or homebrew games?

PostPosted: February 10th, 2018, 2:10 pm 

Totsugeki mix you shared is a chinese or taiwanese release though. I remember some games like Variable Geo being pc98 only in japan and being ported to msdos by Tan ton nerw for other oriental markets. I highly doubt there are a lot (if any) msdos games released in japan, I'm not counting pc98 dos ones of course.

PostPosted: February 10th, 2018, 4:06 pm 

Delicious_R wrote:
Good evening!Everyone!

you can get a bunch of dos games
have a good time!

Thank you!

myloch wrote:
Totsugeki mix you shared is a chinese or taiwanese release though.

I know that, read the linked topic! I uploaded some Chinese/Korean games some years ago.

PostPosted: February 11th, 2018, 12:09 am 

Starscream the 2nd wrote:
I know that, read the linked topic! I uploaded some Chinese/Korean games some years ago.

Now I see... I didn't open that old topic before, sorry! The totsugeki game doesn't work with all genuine dos machines I tried it on (tmix.com > it spits out some weird symbols and does nothing) however it worked correctly with several dosbox new and old builds.

PostPosted: February 11th, 2018, 2:12 am 

myloch wrote:
I remember some games like Variable Geo being pc98 only in japan and being ported to msdos by Tan ton nerw for other oriental markets. I highly doubt there are a lot (if any) msdos games released in japan, I'm not counting pc98 dos ones of course.

I think V.G. Fighter was the only Variable Geo game released for DOS (from Ton Tan Nerw indeed), are there any others you are aware of? I think the others were released for Windows.

PostPosted: February 11th, 2018, 2:36 am 

Yep, just one v.geo game for dos. Not only that but I suspect Variable Geo pc version by tan ton nerw could have been on mixed mode cdrom originally because if you mount a random cdrom with redbook audio tracks in dosbox and you start the game, you hear the cd songs during game! I never found a dump or a used copy of such cdrom out there and probably a backup image doesn't exist (yet).

PostPosted: February 26th, 2018, 3:44 pm 

Sorry for my late reply.

>>Could you provide some more info about those games,
they don't seem to be commercial retail games so maybe magazine or homebrew games?

I got that games from the following site few years ago.
https://web.archive.org/web/20130412043 ... /mmm/pool/

maybe these games are packed in the some kind of book's companion CD.

One of these are published by Vector Design
Title is freesoft & shareware PACK 5000 or 8000 or 10000...and so on.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2018, 3:33 pm 

I've been looking for the Japanese localization of the first Xuan Yuan Sword game for a long time. I think it is PC-AT only.