Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:11 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: November 14th, 2016, 1:15 pm 

MacLife 8 was unsalvageable. Most of these discs are so scratched up, it's a miracle they work at all.

MacLife 9

This is a "game edition". There are mostly shareware games and demos in English.

New Japanese titles:
The Tower: Christmas Disc preview
Castia No Ken - a quiz game. http://www.amazon.co.jp/インフィニシス-クイズ!カスティアの剣/dp/B00G31F7TE
Fantasy Studio - an early RPG maker
Mac Moha - a puzzle type game, a train passes by and cards fall down, you must match the same type of card horizontally on the rail cars, the number on the card indicates how many of the same card you need in a row.
Tornado - Japanese version of Tubular Worlds.
Sensory Overload - Japanese version

This one featured a SimCity 2000 contest from Imagineer. The prize was a few Imagineer Mac Selection games, of the winner's choice.
Here is a list of what was available, useful as I can't find a numbered list of Imagineer Mac Selection elsewhere on the internet (all are localized games.) I'm guessing these are ordered by release date

01 - SimCity DX
02 - RoboSport
03 - Harpoon
04 - King's Bounty
05 - V for Victory
06 - SimLife
07 - Lemmings
08 - Might & Magic 3
09 - V for Victory 2
10 - SimEarth & SimAnt pack
11 - Harpoon Battle Set 2-3-4
12 - V for Victory 3
13 - Oh No More Lemmings
14 - SimCity 2000
00 - SimCity Original
11-1 Harpoon Battle Set 2
15 SimCity & SimEarth
16 SimCity & SimAnt
17 Victory At Sea
11-2 Harpoon Battle Set 3
18 SimCity 2000 DX
19 SimCity CD
14+ SimCity 2000
20 Doom II
21 SimTown
22 SimCity 2000 Urban Renewal Kit
23 SimCity 2000 CD Collection
24 Harpoon 2

Filling in blanks...
25 ???
26 SimCity 2000 & SimCity CD
27 SimTown & SimCity CD

Here is a list of all the Imagineer games, not numbered: http://www.imagineer.co.jp/contact_support.html

PostPosted: November 16th, 2016, 10:15 am 

MacLife 10

This is the last MacLife disc. It includes a short behind the scenes video for the movie Toy Story... in English... for some reason there are no Japanese subtitles.

This disc has a long demonstration of another title by Chiba Reiko called Pettan Pop Theater. In this title kids put together graphic elements of a story, and then watch the story unfold on stage... another gimmicky 90s title for kids.

The other noteworthy demo is Doko Ga Chigau No, by Overrise. Despite the fact that it's a simple spot the difference game (with a game over timer) the Windows version is listed for 50,000 yen on Yahoo Auctions. The demo has 2 stages out of 30.

Apart from this there are localized versions of Total Distortion, Hell A Cyberpunk Thriller, and ClockWerx.

PostPosted: January 26th, 2017, 7:22 pm 

MacPower 1996-05

Kenji - Educational software for learning about Kenji Miyazawa. There are a few minigames, but they don't work on the demo.

Orgotto - Children's toy software.

Greeting Studio - In this program you put various animated elements together to make a stand-alone greeting card which you can then save to a floppy. Some of the elements have a minimal amount of interactivity.

Togen Kikou - Fortune telling software by Rodik, the maker of Cookie's Bustle. Seems to be pretty expensive on the used market for some reason, but the demo gives you a pretty good idea what it's like. It appears that the software is now part of the website, http://www.togenkiko.com

Apart from this there is some minor shareware and freeware.

PostPosted: January 27th, 2017, 10:50 am 

MacPower 1996-07

Not much game stuff on this, there are previews of Victorian Park (Windows/Mac/Pippin) and Racing Days (Mac/Pippin) which are both known about and dumped already.

The other interesting item on this CD is named after an opera, Das Rheingold(ラインの黄金)though it's a actually an interesting looking English learning game by Media5. Unfortunately the ambiguous name doesn't help in finding it online. Media5 is still alive and well however so I've sent them an email asking about it.

There is a story page here, though I can't seem to find any pages linking to it. That is the only trace of the game I've found so far.

PostPosted: January 30th, 2017, 3:27 am 

Someone got back to me from Media5. He said he doesn't have any copies of the game left BUT he was inspired by my email to work on an update for the game. It was very nice to hear that ! :D