Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:46 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: January 8th, 2017, 4:48 pm 

http://page3.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/c565802080

Damn! I totally missed that :x

PostPosted: January 10th, 2017, 4:16 pm 

Dan is a bitch to find because of its short name, if you find a copy you have to snap it up quickly. I missed out on a few copies myself (complete in box.) This is the last one that was sold: http://www.aucfree.com/search?from=2016 ... to=2016-03

PostPosted: February 4th, 2017, 4:06 am 

I asked letsgoda to drop the price on the alius to 25000 yen and also to drop the price on renderorgan and ios. He said he's selling for other people and not himself so he needs to ask those people (I think he's a bad liar :roll: ) he did however drop the price on the alius so I bought it quickly before he changed his mind.

PostPosted: February 4th, 2017, 4:24 am 

1996-1997 seems to have been the most hellish era for PC game developers. All the rarest games I've found are from that time. Here's another one from 1996, "The Legend Of Eden 2" (also spelled Eden2... it's not a sequel, apparently the aircraft is called Eden 2.) There is a playthrough on nicovideo, it's a vertical 2D shmup and the graphics look pretty nice, you'd think they would spend more effort on distribution after going to the trouble to make a retail release. Luckily I was able to nab a copy off yahoo auctions just now.

Now this is interesting, on ebay there is what appears to be a western (ESRB rated) release!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Legend-Of-E ... 1620470436

Info is sparse in Japanese, there is a press release and the game listed on the portfolio of a guy named Daizaburo Harada. I don't even see any info about an English release anywhere. If anyone was looking for a rare PC game you might like to pick this one up, it's not listed in mobygames, gamefaqs or any other game database that I can see.

PostPosted: February 9th, 2017, 11:50 am 

I can confirm for those years, and second half of nineties in general. Two of my most wanted games (zeus carnage heart second and noon - pc versions) are from that period. Every help possible for hunting them is hugely appreciated

bakuDD wrote:
If anyone was looking for a rare PC game you might like to pick this one up.

I recently bought japanese pc version of better dead ratification, is this rare enough? :D

PostPosted: February 9th, 2017, 1:53 pm 

Indeed it is! Congratulations on finding it

PostPosted: February 9th, 2017, 3:24 pm 

Another user made me notice about the auction (and its total lenght was 1day only! :shock: ), I didn't even know about this game existence. Apparently english version is even more obscure (and mac only). What's this sorcery? Did they made a windows port when they localized it to japanese? It's indeed one of the games with least infos about it around the web I've ever seen, I honestly got it just to see htf game really is.

PostPosted: February 9th, 2017, 5:41 pm 

myloch wrote:
Another user made me notice about the auction (and its total lenght was 1day only! :shock: ), I didn't even know about this game existence. Apparently english version is even more obscure (and mac only). What's this sorcery? Did they made a windows port when they localized it to japanese? It's indeed one of the games with least infos about it around the web I've ever seen, I honestly got it just to see htf game really is.

The original English Macintosh version is still a lost game. It was localized in Japanese for Windows and Mac (though I've never seen the Mac version.) It was reviewed in Inside Mac Games June 1995... apparently the game was somewhat rushed, and is buggy and not very good. I want to say it was cancelled, but a few people report having copies (or they used to have them), so it might have been dropped after the initial batch of pre-orders.

PostPosted: February 9th, 2017, 9:29 pm 

Directly from Gog forum:
Quote:
It is housed in a standard jewel case (like a CD) and comes with a folded up piece of paper stating "Dear Dead Player, This is a "rush" edition of The BETTER DEAD Ratification for those people who placed early orders. As many of you have been waiting for some time, we felt it best not to hold you up any longer. Therefore we have sent your copy of BETTER DEAD minus the packaging and with this B/W guide rather than waiting for the boxes and 4/C guide to become available." blah blah blah.

The insert also contains instructions for the game and a "cheat sheet" for some of the "sticky spots" in the game.

PostPosted: February 10th, 2017, 8:05 pm 

Yes, I saw that long ago, and contacted that seller long ago. Nothing came of it.

To be honest this thread outlived its usefulness long ago. I'm all but done with my research now, thanks to old magazines and the Wayback Machine, and I know exactly what I'm going after and what needs to be prioritized. The original intent of this thread was to help me fund my purchases of old PC games (which so far has exceeded 2000 USD) but in the end only one person ever donated anything, so it is clear that this project will have to be self funded.

I'll end with this... If one had more than a passing interest in experiencing old Japanese Windows PC games... and I don't mean the 18+ visual novels and assorted garbage being dumped on Legends World... one would be wise to check the forums on a certain website with the initials RW! :twisted:

That's all I have left to say.

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2017, 8:24 pm 

I recently found and ordered two more of my holy grails, one of them being Super realistic mahjong P4 for win3.1 (floppies). It's my first floppy game since the nineties LOL
I always avoided to buy them because the risk of finding broken floppies is very high and you can never know if the content is untouched (they are not read-only like cdroms).

Any idea if this has been already dumped? Fingers crossed, I hope it will not happen something similar to what happened to bakudd with Samurai Mech floppies...

About better dead, I'm sure you tried asking to this guy, right?

Finding the mac english version would be useful if someone wants to make an english patch for the japanese Windows one, even if file structure might be very different.

PostPosted: February 7th, 2019, 5:49 pm 

Starscream the 2nd wrote:
Don Rumata wrote:
•BLACK MAGIC (Windows successor to CRW wargames on PC-98)

Pardon, I had some health issues among other things. I took a brief look at the game. Not sure if this is really what you seek, I can't say if that's really a genuine copy of the cd. You can download here, it's a small file:

http://gavitex.com/share/govpqboxz

Hi, would you be able to re-upload this somewhere? I worked on the CRW translation hack and I've never heard of it, so I'm curious.

PostPosted: February 7th, 2019, 7:22 pm 

hollowaytape wrote:

Hi, would you be able to re-upload this somewhere? I worked on the CRW translation hack and I've never heard of it, so I'm curious.

Download here.

https://www.old-games.ru/game/download/6806.html

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2021, 9:37 pm 

I just found out about bakuDD's work, and wanted to say thanks!

I tried to go to the patreon but it's taken down.

Hopefully they are still doing this great service for preservation.