Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 2:20 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: September 7th, 2013, 12:53 am 

I discovered a short time ago that Calamity (he's behind GroovyMame among other things) made an experimental patch for the English version of WinX68KSpeed. Scroll down the thread for a detailed English explaination, or download the archive there right away, there's also one inside.
It basically allows the emulator to switch into native resolution modes in Fullscreen if you have the proper video modes installed (with WinModeLines or other tools). I did some quick testing on my SDTV as well as on my standard CRT (31 kHz minimum) monitor. Crashes aren't fatal, you can simply restart the emulator if the needed display mode isn't found.
The modelines listed will of course have to be tweaked depending on your setup. E.g. to use a 256p low res mode on my 31 kHz CRT monitor, I doubled the refresh rate (this results in a "true" scanlined look. You can try it in other emulators).

On my TV, I found that the 256/512 line modes are problematic with the given rate (55 Hz), it looks more reasonable at around 53.

From the post it's clear that Calamity didn't know if the refresh rate is actually constant through the modes, does anyone know more about it? The 512 line modes afaik indeed run at that refresh, but the others?

PostPosted: September 7th, 2013, 1:52 am 

Interesting stuff! I wish I had a working CRT to test it on.

Starscream the 2nd wrote:
From the post it's clear that Calamity didn't know if the refresh rate is actually constant through the modes, does anyone know more about it? The 512 line modes afaik indeed run at that refresh, but the others?

According to this site //blog.goo.ne.jp/limited_terra/e/ab41926554712033d15611c0c3dfc530
512x256 (256x256) mode is 15.980kHz horizontal and 61.460Hz vertical,
768x512 mode is 31.500kHz horizontal and 55.460Hz vertical.

That should cover most cases, but some games use custom modes. The X68000 is bonkers when it comes to display modes.

PostPosted: September 7th, 2013, 2:53 pm 

Thanks. WinX68K also has this quirk that apparently in some cases not the actual resolution is displayed, only the part of the screen that is being used. For example, Mr. Do should run in 256x256, but the emulator clips the borders resulting in a display mode error; it would need another custom mode. Still, it's nice to have dynamic resolution switching like that. I was a bit surprised to see how unflexible many emulators seem to be when it comes to fullscreen.
Takeda's emulators at least recognize custom modes, but not below 640x480, which is a shame.