Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:54 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: October 12th, 2012, 5:14 pm 

Here a bit of South African nostalgia for Sketcz. A NES cart, being a Mario Bros clone, now vd Merwe Bros! :lol:

PostPosted: October 15th, 2012, 7:31 am 

Ahh, that's really great. A trip down memory lane and something unique to the region. Good old van der Merwe, always ready when the situation calls for it. :)

Only R35... I seem to recall, in 1992 I think, game carts costing around... R100? For bigger games like SMB3. I think my brother got a Mickey Mouse game which was closer to R40. I could be making this up - it was over 20 years ago! I've seen ads which say games were from R20 and up.

Though surely that's a Famicom cartridge? ;)

I had a Famicom clone as a kid (a couple, since the first broke), like most kids in the South Africa in the early 1990s. Plus a multicart with 32 games on it - and no duplicates or hacks! Those earlier bootlegs were really good quality. Later bootlegs turned the clone system into a "NES on a chip" and the quality went down, and the multicarts had the games hacked a lot of the time.

Annoyingly my dad gave it all away when I upgraded to a SNES years later.

Did you ever see the advert for the Reggie's Entertainment System?

http://www.youtube.com/embed/pq5rH4LESDo

EDIT:
Here's a question for you, speaking nostalgically.

Do you happen to have any old MNet TV guides from around when they started up until 1994/1995 or so? Those little booklets they produced, with the yellow text columns showing the TV listings? And preceding these would be all the films from that month.

It sounds silly, but I watched a lot of MNet growing up, and enjoyed leafing through the booklet each month. So have a lot of memories of that. We only had one channel in the house, but it was always enough. Today I've got satellite with hundreds of channels and none of them seem any good.

I've always wanted to get hold of an old issue, to leaf through again, but obviously that's almost impossible. Who would keep old TV guides? It's not exactly like you can buy them on eBay!

If you somehow happen to have an old issue, even a mouldy one lying in the garage for the last two decades, I'd love to have it. I could paypal you the postage to send it to France, if you have PayPal. I'd just like one issue to look through, to stir up some old memories.

PostPosted: October 16th, 2012, 3:32 am 

Yes you must be right about it being a Famicom cart - sorry, never really had one. Mostly known as Golden China after the brand that flooded the SA market way back when. There are still hordes of clones available - I just bought a few for the shop as a bit of a joke as the built quality is dismal. Around R100. A multicart - 999999 games that are actually about 12 games, 2 controllers, light gun thingy. The multicarts are all labeled the same but there are a couple of variants LOL.

When next rooting around my garage I'll look for an M-Net programme but I don't hold out much hope as I moved house in about 2001

PostPosted: October 16th, 2012, 7:43 am 

Excellent - thanks for the promise of looking. Keep me posted.

I recall seeing machines like the Golden China, plus other variants.

I've seen/bought pirate FC games in other countries, and the use of hacks and the same game on multicarts has risen sharply. There were hacks back in the day (Don Doko Don 2 with mario characters, named Mario 8 for example), but these days there seems to be more. I had a 22-in-1 cart which was really just 10 or so games with a duplicate each, but in those cases they skipped levels or gave you extra items earlier. Recently got hold of a multicart from Egypt, which was basically 4 games repeated a thousand times.

Do you run a shop in SA then?