Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 7:09 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: August 8th, 2012, 7:26 am 

I found this page:
http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown-Par ... usicaa.htm

In it he describes how the story about Miyazaki being annoyed with the Nausicaa game is an urban myth, because the MSX shooter is fairly faithful to the theme of the film - you don't shoot the Ohmu, rather you use F2 to fire a strobe and calm them.

But he also points out that while the PC-88 release was a straight adventure, and the MSX was a (fairly?) faithful shooter, he isn't sure about the quoted PC-6001 version. He asks if maybe it differs from the MSX release, and features the quoted "random shooting of Ohmu" when people talk about Miyazaki.

Is it different? I've trawled google using Japanese to try to find it, but no luck. Only the MSX release is easy to find. Does anyone have the PC-6001 version?

If anyone wants the PC-88 adventure (crap as it is), I think I've got the files somewhere here. MSX is on Planetemu.

Perhaps we could document the facts better than other places? Does anyone have a direct source for Hayao Miyazaki's quote? All I've got is this:

http://egm.1up.com/features/every-game- ... o-miyazaki

Quote:
Miyazaki and video games famously don't get along. According to a write-up by former 1UP editor (now 8-4 Ltd. contributor) Kevin Gifford, Miyazaki was deeply displeased by Technopolis Soft's PC-6001 adaptation of Studio Ghibli's debut film, Nausicäa of the Valley of the Wind. In translating Miyazaki's treatise on environmental responsibility and the futility of war to interactive form, Technopolis subverted the entire message, sending the eponymous heroine on a mission to blast as many giant Ohmu insects out of the sky as possible -- the exact opposite of the film's entire point.

According to the Japanese web page top, this above quote (apparently also paraphrased on some Japanese Wikipedia page) is incorrect/an urban myth. I'm curious to get to the bottom of this.

http://www.1up.com/news/studio-ghibli-d ... ni-project

Quote:
Ghibli's involvement with Ninokuni was a surprise to some in the game industry because the studio -- in particular Hayao Miyazaki, director of most of its greatest work -- has a reputation for hating video games. The last time Ghibli crossed paths with the game business was in the mid-1980s, when a set of disastrously bad titles based off Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind was released on Japanese computers. In the interview, Suzuki admits that his studio has been approached many times in the ensuing years with game-related work, but has turned it all down -- until now. "Normally we wouldn't have done it, but Ponyo was just about to debut in theaters, and our heads were still running full tilt. He caught us right when we were at our weakest!", he said with a laugh.

PostPosted: August 8th, 2012, 5:41 pm 
Site Admin

Untested.

Long ago someone asked me about this game. I didn't have it

Years after he contacted me again. He had found it. Never heard from him again since.

True story. 8)

PostPosted: August 8th, 2012, 6:43 pm 

May I sound stoopid; but I cannot find the captcha's text to validate the download. No matter how many times I press the "Nouveau challenge" button, the gadget is always showing the same ad... :oops:

PostPosted: August 8th, 2012, 7:27 pm 

Ben wrote:
Untested.

Long ago someone asked me about this game. I didn't have it

Years after he contacted me again. He had found it. Never heard from him again since.

True story. 8)

The internet is a cool place because of these stories :D

However, for me the download is working fine. Just write in the captcha the word between the << >> (in my case it was Adyoulike)

PostPosted: August 8th, 2012, 7:33 pm 

Hehe, thanks, it works, it's the weirder captcha I've ever seen. It never changes the captcha text, it's always "adyoulike". I really thought that it was simply self publicity of the creators... :D

PostPosted: August 8th, 2012, 7:47 pm 

Lol, it's totally useless!

PostPosted: August 8th, 2012, 8:14 pm 

For people which have problems to start the game:

iP6 or PC6001VW

PC-6001mk2/PC-6601
Mode=5
Pages=3

CLOAD "GAME"

to skip the DEMO

RUN

PostPosted: August 8th, 2012, 8:26 pm 

Awesome, many thanks!

After much struggling I can get it to boot to the options menus under 6001mk2 mode - everything else crashes.

I type CLOAD "GAME" and it brings up text saying:
SKIP:DEMO

And then it just idles. I don't know if it's crashed or not, but it just sits there, spinning purple numbers at the top of the screen...

I assume this is the actual game tape image, correct?

"nausica(6601_Mode5, Page 1).P6"

Or am I trying to load the wrong thing? I downloaded PC6001VW3 from Zophar.net, because the download linked up above contained all kinds of weird files and ZIP directories which I didn't recognise.

Last edited by Sketcz on August 8th, 2012, 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 8th, 2012, 8:32 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry about the download link, it's automatic on my side so I didn't notice :?

PostPosted: August 8th, 2012, 8:47 pm 

Never mind, got it working now. Plays totally differently to the MSX version!

The loading took like an actual 2 or 3 minutes, even with overdrive on. Bloody hell!

So I made a snapshot. Hopefully I can skip that next time.

I might turn this into an HG101 article, if I have time. Man. It's like unearthing ancient Egyptian treasure or something.

Thanks for the help. Has anyone actually gotten past the bugs? Shooting with space bar doesn't seem to kill them.

EDIT:
I spammed quick save and load to get past the bugs. I went to the second scene, but still Act 1. I wonder if later acts have different scenes/backgrounds/enemies? I'm wondering if it's worth spamming my way through multiple scenes to find out? :?

EDIT2:
Further info on the games:
http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/jack_gray3/9361739.html

Including screens of the PC6001 version. Seems there ARE new enemies later on!

And a NicoNico page:
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm7297511

PostPosted: August 17th, 2012, 1:38 pm 

Cobbled together a quick piece thanks to everyone's help. Also make available the disk images and emu. if you've not got the PC-88 version, there's a link in there.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/nausicaa/nausicaa.htm

PostPosted: August 17th, 2012, 7:05 pm 
Site Admin

Nice :)

PostPosted: August 17th, 2012, 9:43 pm 

Another great review from HG101!, thanks!

I've specially enjoyed the review as I'm a big Miyazaki's fan and Nausicaa is one of my fave ones. Big LOL! to the "Warriors of the wind" cover, can I see some Star Wars influence? :lol:

PostPosted: August 18th, 2012, 5:16 pm 

Neat article.

Cyber Core has gained a whole new level of respect from me (which wasn't that hard to begin with)! 8)

PostPosted: November 30th, 2012, 3:08 pm 

More information courtesy of Aleff on HG101's forums.

Quote:
Bump! I'm actually playing the PC-88 "adventure" for some reason and doing a map of it. I found the glider minigame... kind of. I enter the two-door windmill, and the game shows a new instruction page. And then there is an animation of a tiny hand glider sprite getting bigger. And then the game goes back to the tiny-typefaced instructions from the beggining, and then I'm stripped from my items at the beggining. Guess I died?

I'm not sure if I failed to push a button or I needed to collect all items in the "villages"... anyway, I'll report back with the map and screenies later.

And a follow up:

Quote:
I've managed to access the minigame, sadly it crashes on PC88Win. I can't run at all the game on x88 or m88. Here's what it's shown on 88Win:

Any emulator tips? Ah, and if you want to try, use this map:

You need to grab the owl and go to the one of the two places that have the glider icon. Good luck!

So, could it be the game is so badly made it crashes however you run it, or is it something only functions on actual PC88 hardware? I'm intrigued!