Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently April 16th, 2024, 7:30 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: May 5th, 2012, 6:53 pm 

Hey guys-
I'm trying to find some info about the game in my title, Ankokujyo. I found a cassette tape file on theoldcomputer.com, but I can't get it to run well enough to get any info from the game. I'm putting together a collection of Enix games and I can't find any info about this game anywhere.

I'd appreciate help in two ways:
If you know anything or know where I can find information about this game.
or
If you can help me get the cassette running.

When I try to load the cassette in XM7, I get a bad file mode error. I hit load again and a second loading point that I can run is found. The game appears to load, but I come to a screen with a whole bunch of text. My Japanese isn't nearly good enough to translate the mess of kana, so if you can give me the gist of the message attached (is it an error message?, does it tell me what went wrong?), I'd appreciate it:
Attachment:
File comment: The error? message.
Error.jpg
Error.jpg [ 76.67 KiB | Viewed 2689 times ]

I assume the game should load from start instead of the second point in the tape, but I'm not sure. After I hit spacebar again, anyways, I get a basic prompt with a Device Unavailable after 1000 message.

I appreciate any tips or help you can give me.
Thanks ahead of time.

PostPosted: May 5th, 2012, 10:41 pm 

The message just seems to be telling you how to play the game.

PostPosted: May 5th, 2012, 10:45 pm 

Ok. Thanks for that info!
It must be that the tape is malfunctioning or something, then.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2012, 1:27 am 

I don't think the tape is bad, it's giving "Bad File Mode" because the loading command is probably different than just LOAD.
Probably will have to type the execution address of the machine code to get this working.
I'll post my findings, if any.

Last edited by wushu on May 6th, 2012, 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2012, 10:25 am 

Not tested this copy, but there is a XM7 save state on it. Which I can only assume takes you straight to the start.
http://www.mediafire.com/?w2wjsisoy1p95w6

I also have the PC88 version, which is probably easier to run.

With regards to information:
http://refugee2005.sakura.ne.jp/library ... htm#ankoku
http://www.retropc.net/fm-7/museum/soft ... 01200.html
http://oldavg.blog.shinobi.jp/Entry/17/

PostPosted: May 6th, 2012, 12:08 pm 

The first program on the tape, START, is in machine language and needs to be loaded with the LOADM command.
Unfortunately this alone doesn't fix the problem. The program crashes whenever the PEN[] command is used. I think the problem is with the START program - it may be corrupt or it needs to be loaded with an offset value or an execution address. The START program begins at &H0BF9, but I don't know enough about machine code to deduce where the execution address could be (if that's the problem).

The save state does work (use XM7 3440), but it skips the title screen and intro and goes straight to the first game screen. It may also be possible to figure out the problem by analyzing the save state and using XM7's built-in debugger, but I don't have the skills for that.

BTW I think there's only one existing tape image, as every copy I've found is identical. Some sources just strip out the save state, because hey, who needs that right? :roll:

Anyway, as Trickless says there's also a PC88 version which is basically identical, so unless you absolutely must play the FM-7 version I recommend using that one.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2012, 1:20 pm 

Thanks wushu, Trickless and kobushi!
I'm surprised that I didn't come up with the Oh! FM-7 result in a google search as I specifically searchedfor アンコクジョ エニックス. Maybe leaving the U off the end was enough to miss the result. Anyways, I, too, have the PC-88 version of Rukteu Dark Castle. I didn't remember seeing that name anywhere, either. Any ideas what the kana title means?
I guess when it comes to releasing my little project I might look into getting the FM-7 version to work, so thanks for the information about getting to the first screen.

PostPosted: May 7th, 2012, 12:26 am 

アンコクジョウ is the kana reading of 暗黒城. Basically Castle of Darkness, or 'Dark Castle'.

PostPosted: May 7th, 2012, 3:59 pm 

I see. That makes sense, thanks!