Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:18 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Couple of X68k questions
PostPosted: February 27th, 2012, 6:53 pm 

First of all, I'm new here, hi guys. This is a great place, I really love old Japanese PC games.

I have a couple of questions pertaining to emulating the X68000:

1) I started using XM6 because WinX68k had problems running a few games (I think Hellhound was one of them) and for some reason the Z and X keys are not fire buttons, even with JoyKey mode enabled. Is there some way to map them, and if not, what are the fire buttons on XM6 by default?

2) How do I use MIDI? Sol-Feace does not feel right to me without the MT-32 music, which sounds so much better than even the Sega CD version's music, and I just know there should be some way to feed in an MT-32 soundfont or something like with this one build of DOSbox that I tried.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2012, 1:05 pm 

"MT-32 soundfont"

I should get you BANNED for this impudence! Still, welcome around :)

What you need is the latest mt32emu-qt package.

Hopefully you know how to set up a virtual MIDI cable. You'll also need a recent set of PCM and Control ROMs, which are allegedly public domain although Roland won't accept it. Omer Mor is maintaining a non-exhaustive list on Google Docs for scientific purposes. Yep... I suggest you grab the CM-32L ones.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2012, 6:00 pm 

Ah, Munt. I'm aware of that, I'll see if I can get the virtual MIDI cable thing working. Sorry about the soundfont thing :oops:

What about the keyboard thing with XM6?

EDIT: I think something is messed up...I tried selecting loopmidi for input on WinX68k and I couldn't hear MIDI sound even when rebooting the emulator, same with XM6. I do have a couple of other virtual MIDI cable type applications on here (Timidity++ and I BASSMIDI) and I'm wondering if those might conflict with it or not. It definitely works for Gradius II, I selected MT-32 in the modules in the sound config, so I guess there is some option in Sol-Feace...somewhere.

PostPosted: July 13th, 2012, 11:22 pm 

Just for information, what is the mt32 soundfont?. It's the rom of the device, or something like a driver for use in emulators/programs?. I'm just curious, as i have been searching in google, but only get references to the physical device such as the ones in wikipedia.

PostPosted: July 14th, 2012, 1:51 pm 

Munt is not a soundfont, it's a full MT-32 software syntheziser. You can use it as a Windows MIDI driver or as a standalone executable (the latter requires the installation of a virtual MIDI cable). Some emulators like ScummVM and DOSBox include a more or less recent version of Munt. In any case, you need the original ROMs for the synth to work.

For the record, no soundfont can properly "simulate" the MT-32. This expander produces dynamic sounds which can be very different from the default samples.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2012, 1:23 pm 

Cool, not its much clearer. So if i use munt as the emulator, can i hook it up to xm6 or winx68k emulator using that virtual midi cable?. Im asking because i have read that munt shows on the interface even the lcd display of the roland synth, so it would be interesting to experiment and look at.
Thanks!!!!!!!! :D

PostPosted: July 26th, 2012, 4:02 pm 

Yes, you can use it in any game/emulator/application that has a MIDI port. The LCD panel indeed displays the MIDI text messages :)

PostPosted: July 26th, 2012, 11:18 pm 

Ok, thanks for clarification. I have seen in one of your pages by yoyr sig, the amiga
logo. Are you also amiga user?. I'm user of amiga too, having classics as well haz ng(MorphOS).

PostPosted: August 5th, 2012, 3:16 pm 

I used to be an Amiga user. I still have my 1200 PPC but haven't used it for many years (lack of room, time, etc). I miss the AmigaOS and MorphOS. I bought OS 4 a long-ass time ago, but never got around to install the classic version on my machine. However I still follow the Amiga news once or twice a year, if only to stay up to date with all the drama and fan devotion. At least I wear my t-shirt!

PostPosted: August 5th, 2012, 4:40 pm 

There are more Amiga users here. I don't have a PPC, but my 040/33 MHz is still in mint condition. Actually I'm not even thinking about emulating Amiga - what for?