Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:16 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: An introduction to me
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2012, 6:55 pm 

Hi everyone,

I'm glad to have joined this awesome online community. My name is Conrad, and I'm 22 years old. I live in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. My career is in Information Technology. I work at a community center in Burnaby helping them with all their IT needs, as well as teaching computer classes to anyone who wants to learn. Ever since I was 5 years old and my father showed me his Commodore 64, I have been on a quest to acquire (or if necessary build) the best possible model (while still retaining decent backwards compatibility) of every computer line. My ultimate goal was to build a computer museum, because I felt that old computers should not be forgotten, because there is so much fun to be had with them. Fast forward to now and I have actually come quite a ways to achieving my goal. I have built a large and diverse collection, currently with models representing the best to be had in many computer lines. For now just let me give you a few highlights:

Amiga 4000 - CyberStormPPC 604e-233MHz/68060 50MHz Accelerator card with 128MB RAM, CyberVisionPPC 8MB Permedia2 3D card, IndivisionAGA scandoubler, ZorRAM 256MB RAM card, KickFlashOS4 FlashROM card, Elbox FastATA card, X-Surf 3 ethernet card, Deneb USB2 High Speed card, Delfina Flipper clockport sound card, Catweasel floppy controller, dual booted Amiga OS 3.9 and 4.0, 2 Amiga HD floppy drives, Zip Drive, DVD Writer, 80GB hard disk, inside an Elbox Mirage tower case.

Atari Falcon - CT63 68060-100MHz accelerator with 512MB of RAM, CTPCI PCI interface, NetUSBee USB/Ethernet interface cartridge, preorder of SuperVidel video card and SVEthLANa internal ethernet card

Atari XEGS - 128k 100% 130XE compatible memory, 1MB SatanTronic mapper extended memory, SimpleStereo dual POKEY/Covox sound board + I/O board providing Aki PS/2 Keyboard interface, MyIDE internal IDE interface with 8GB internal 2.5" hard disk, internal AtariMax SIO2PC USB edition

Panasonic FSA1-ST MSX Turbo R - Internal memory upgraded to 512k, Sunrise IDE interface, 1024k flash cartridge with SCC+ chip inside, soon to acquire a PlaySoniq cart and MIDI-Pac cart

Sharp X68000XVI - XsimmVI 8MB memory expansion, System Sacom SX-68M MIDI card connected to a Roland SC-88 MIDI Synthesizer, 10GB SCSI Hard disk and SCSI CD Writer, a large collection of Floppy based X68000 games converted to run from hard disk, SX-Windows installed as well

NedoPC ZX Evolution - Russian ZX Spectrum clone produced in 2011 - Z80 clocked at 3.5, 7, or 14 MHz, 4MB RAM, IDE interface, SD card interface, floppy interface, built in scandoubler for display on VGA monitor, much upgraded graphics capability such as 16 color per pixel or even 64 color per pixel, possible to load disk images to RAM disk and run them right from boot menu, 2 ZXBUS slots for upgrades. The upgrades I have are: NeoGS ZX Bus sound card - Z84 based GeneralSound compatible sound card with 4MB RAM onboard and DMA capabilities. The DMA option allows it to be used as an accelerator as well. TurboSoundFM - dual YM2203 sound card providing 6 PSG audio channels and 6 FM audio channels. This clone is compatible with the Russian Pentagon, Kay1024 and ATM Turbo 2+ Spectrum compatibles out of the box, and with a firmware change is compatible with the Russian Scorpion Spectrum compatible.

Amstrad CPC 6128+ - Cassette circuit has been rebuilt and a tape connector added to the machine to load CPC software from cassette, SymbiFace2 512k RAM/512k ROM/PS/2 Mouse/IDE/Real Time Clock card, HxC SD Floppy Emulator with onscreen menu

Apple IIGS - 8MB SiriusRAM IIgs RAM Card, MicroDriveTurbo DMA IDE interface, BlueDisk MFM floppy controller, 1 HD MFM 3.5" floppy drive, 1 GCR DD 3.5" floppy drive, 3rd Party "DuoDisk style" dual 5.25" floppy drives, TransWarpIIGS will hopefully be in there too soon.

Fujitsu FM77AV40SX fitted with an HxC SD Card floppy emulator, PS/2 Keyboard adapter currently in development

There are many more, these are just a few highlights. My house is being renovated now, and almost all of my collection is in storage currently. Once things are done and I can actually get to things, I will take photos and post a much more complete list if anyone is interested. For now though, I'm just glad to be a part of this forum!

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2012, 7:08 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome aboard Conrad ! I can't wait to see those photos :wink:

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2012, 10:41 pm 

Welcome Conrad!, I'd love to see those pictures too! (Specially the FM77AV + SD Floppy emulator)

Interesting posts you made in the Facebook group :)

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2012, 10:53 pm 

Speccy Z80 at 14 MHz! Gunship, here I come! :shock:

Nice Amiga config you got there. My old A1200 custom setup is pretty much the same as your A4000, except for AOS4 (which I paid for almost ten years ago but never received, thanks to the scam preorder program of Amiga Inc -- at least I got the shirt).

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2012, 2:49 am 

Welcome comrade... er, Conrad :wink:

Very cool collection, I'm jealous. I would like to collect a few more machines, but I just don't have the space and the upkeep gets tiring. I have deep respect for people who take good care of old hardware.

Hey, if you're going to take photos, can I make a request? I would really like to have high-res, top-down photos of the X68 and FM77 keyboards.

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2012, 6:01 am 

Welcome Conrad,

you have a nice collection. :)
Can I ask you to help us (MESS developer team) to get a original dump of the internal SCSI ROM (Sharp X68000XVI)?

It should be easy to get it.

1.) Download the XC2101.LZH package.
2.) Decompress and copy the files on a floppy disk which is readable* on your X68000XVI.
3.) Start the file "db.x" which you can find in the BIN folder of the floppy disk.
4.) Type the following command from the command line of the db.x :
5.) W SCSIINROM.DAT, FC0000, FC1FFF [Enter]
6.) Q [Enter]
7.) A file called "SCSIINROM.DAT" should be created now in the current directory.
8.) Transfer the file from the x68k to a PC. The PC tool "DiskExplorer" can be useful to read/write* x68k floppy disks.
9.) Post the dump here or contact me if you don´t want post it in the public.

That´s all. :)

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2012, 8:57 pm 

kobushi wrote:
Welcome comrade... er, Conrad :wink:

Very cool collection, I'm jealous. I would like to collect a few more machines, but I just don't have the space and the upkeep gets tiring. I have deep respect for people who take good care of old hardware.

Hey, if you're going to take photos, can I make a request? I would really like to have high-res, top-down photos of the X68 and FM77 keyboards.

Thank you for the compliment! Most of my equipment is in storage right now as I am doing renovations on my home, but I should be able to get you a photo of the X68000XVI keyboard (as well as the combination mouse/trackball if you want it) some time soon. I unfortunately cannot give you a photo of an FM-77AV keyboard because I don't have one, that is why I'm having the PS/2 keyboard adapter built.

Anna_Wu wrote:
Welcome Conrad,

you have a nice collection. :)
Can I ask you to help us (MESS developer team) to get a original dump of the internal SCSI ROM (Sharp X68000XVI)?

It should be easy to get it.

1.) Download the XC2101.LZH package.
2.) Decompress and copy the files on a floppy disk which is readable* on your X68000XVI.
3.) Start the file "db.x" which you can find in the BIN folder of the floppy disk.
4.) Type the following command from the command line of the db.x :
5.) W SCSIINROM.DAT, FC0000, FC1FFF [Enter]
6.) Q [Enter]
7.) A file called "SCSIINROM.DAT" should be created now in the current directory.
8.) Transfer the file from the x68k to a PC. The PC tool "DiskExplorer" can be useful to read/write* x68k floppy disks.
9.) Post the dump here or contact me if you don´t want post it in the public.

That´s all. :)

Thanks in advance.

That shouldn't be a problem Anna. I will get that done for you over the next couple of days. I'm glad to be able to be of help.

Kaminari wrote:
Speccy Z80 at 14 MHz! Gunship, here I come! :shock:

Nice Amiga config you got there. My old A1200 custom setup is pretty much the same as your A4000, except for AOS4 (which I paid for almost ten years ago but never received, thanks to the scam preorder program of Amiga Inc -- at least I got the shirt).

That sucks that you never got your copy of AmigaOS4! I decided to go with the A4000 instead of the A1200 because of the full Zorro III support and the other improved features.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2012, 3:24 pm 

Very nice :)