Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently April 18th, 2024, 7:45 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: February 21st, 2012, 12:09 pm 

Greetings all,

Another planned article, another request for files. Kurt over at HG101 is planning a feature on Yuji Horii's trilogy of adventure games:

Portopia Renzoku Satsujin Jiken
Ohoutsuku ni Kiyu - Hokkaido Rensa Satsujin Jiken
Karuizawa Yuukai Annai

I've got all the PC88 versions, from Pete's old adventure archives, but the PC98 and other home computer versions elude us.

For Portopia, based on this page
http://dvdtranslations.eludevisibility. ... topia.html

We're looking at the: PC-6001, PC-6001mkII, PC-8801, PC-8001mkII, FM 7/8, X1 and super elusive MSX version. Was there a PC98 version?

I've no idea about the other two games, but Kurt had this to add:
Quote:
The PC98 version of the Hokkaido Serial Murders looks like a ground up remake

Obviously thank you credits to whoever helps and links to Tokugawa. If anyone wants the PC88 titles let me know, I've got them online.

EDIT:
At one point a user called Noname was going to cover the article, but he sent me a rather sad PM explaining why he deleted his account and was leaving.

He said he check Tokugawa forums still, so if you're reading this Noname, COME BACK! Your posts and love of home computers were worthwhile.

PostPosted: February 21st, 2012, 4:29 pm 

Sketcz wrote:
Ohoutsuku ni Kiyu - Hokkaido Rensa Satsujin Jiken

This looks like it could be the PC98 version. Sorry - I don't have any others.

PostPosted: February 21st, 2012, 11:22 pm 

I have the same peter uploaded, but Disk 1 has different CRC - Here it is, just in case.

PostPosted: February 21st, 2012, 11:35 pm 

You can thank Danjuro for this:

(PC6001) ポートピア連続殺人事件
http://www.mediafire.com/?atjye3fo1hhod7c
Pass: FMV

I've been trying to hunt down the PC6001 version of Ohotsuku .... so close, yet so far!

Quote:
The PC98 version of the Hokkaido Serial Murders looks like a ground up remake

Yeah, the one that's part of the LOGiN DISK & BOOK Series is a remake. I've got youtube videos of the Intro and End. If you need screenshots then let me know.

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2012, 12:16 am 

I have some other versions, I'll post them soon.

The PC-9801 version of Okhotsk is a remake of a remake. It's based on the Famicom version. The command system is more refined and there's some added dialogue and hidden commands, but the basic story is the same.

The PC-9801 version of Okhotsk was a remake done several years later and published by ASCII as part of their LOGiN Disk & Book series in the early 90s.
The LOGiN Disk & Book was a series of glossy magazine-style books (known as a "mook" in Japanese) that each featured a classic computer game, and also included the game on floppy disk.
I think Hokkaido was the only game from the LOGiN series that actually got a remake. It's nice, definitely the best version of the game (and Hokkaido is the best game in the trilogy). I wish I had the mook, there's probably some interesting stuff in there.

If you're doing an article, these interviews with Horii are required reading:
http://www.geocities.jp/bgrtype/gsl/wor ... iyufc.html
http://www.geocities.jp/bgrtype/gsl/wor ... nzoku.html
http://www.geocities.jp/bgrtype/gsl/wor ... uzuki.html

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2012, 8:32 am 

Fantastic, thanks for all the help, information and interview links. I'm sure Kurt will be pleased. I recall him mentioning wanting to find someone with an interest in the series to cover them - if you're keen Kobushi, drop him an email. Otherwise these will all come in most handy. I linked him to the topic so I'm sure he'll pick them up shortly.

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2012, 8:31 pm 

kobushi wrote:
I think Hokkaido was the only game from the LOGiN series that actually got a remake. It's nice, definitely the best version of the game (and Hokkaido is the best game in the trilogy). I wish I had the mook, there's probably some interesting stuff in there.

Manhattan Requiem was definitely a remake, possibly Kohakuiro no Yuigon as well. Unless I had overlooked something, the only gripe I had with Okhotsk 98 was that it only had 1 bgm track. Excellent remake otherwise.

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2012, 1:56 am 

Here's what I have:
http://www.mediafire.com/?b99bm5fv1djgbvj

I didn't include the Famicom versions because I assume you have them.
The included PC-8801 Karuizawa is fully unlocked, so you can immediately start at Part 6 if you want.
Also, there are actually two PC-9801 versions of Okhotsk. There's the original 1985 version which looks identical to the PC-8801 version, and the LOGiN remake released in 1992(?). I included both.

Sketcz wrote:
if you're keen Kobushi, drop him an email.

Haha, no thanks. The last time I sent Kurt an article, he didn't even bother to say thank you. Didn't bother to reply at all, in fact.

Trickless wrote:
Manhattan Requiem was definitely a remake, possibly Kohakuiro no Yuigon as well.

You're right! Nice music in the Manhattan remake, too.
Looking at Kohakuiro no Yuigon, it's definitely a remake, but a very subtle one. The remake runs in MS-DOS and the interface is improved, but the graphics and music seem identical.

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2012, 9:04 am 

kobushi wrote:
Sketcz wrote:
if you're keen Kobushi, drop him an email.

Haha, no thanks. The last time I sent Kurt an article, he didn't even bother to say thank you. Didn't bother to reply at all, in fact.

Oh, crikey. I'm sorry to hear that. That does seem very out of character for Kurt - I don't think he would ever intentionally snub anyone.

On behalf of the site, thank you all, for all you've contributed. You guys know I'll always have both love and respect for the Tokugawa community.

Which article was it? Not the Japanese Computers one we collaborated on, was it? Ahh, I have fond memories of that. You did a great job correcting my shortcomings. :oops:

PostPosted: February 24th, 2012, 1:51 am 

Yeah, it was the Japanese computers article. I don't think Kurt meant anything by it, but it seemed pretty rude at the time.
I'm looking forward to the Horii article though - if you have any other questions about the trilogy I'll try to answer them.

Sketcz wrote:
You did a great job correcting my shortcomings. :oops:

No no no. You built the house, I just did the paint job.
I think I even saw a Chinese translation of that article on a forum somewhere. :)