Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently April 19th, 2024, 1:43 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: February 18th, 2012, 4:24 am 

Hello all!

Filler (of Welcome to Pia Carrot 2! for the PC-FX and others) and I are working on a translation for The 4th Unit for the X68000 and the FM Towns. Posting here as the X68000 is the main one we're working on as it's easier to test (and I forgot that it got released on the FM Towns system as well... :) ) Have to say though, the FM Towns is the much better version as it contains a manga prologue and a little teaser for 4th Unit 2. Pretty excited about this one :)

Couple of screenshots :

PostPosted: February 18th, 2012, 10:24 am 
Site Admin

Wow ! Can you already estimate how much of the text you have covered ?

PostPosted: February 18th, 2012, 12:25 pm 

That's awesome. I've always enjoyed Matt's works, he picks some interesting games.

PostPosted: February 18th, 2012, 1:33 pm 

Very cool to see a "dual-translation"! You don't have a page for all the projects you're working on Esper Knight, or do you? I think you're pretty much involved with almost every Japanese computer translation currently going on.

PostPosted: February 18th, 2012, 3:02 pm 

Ben, so far the first three out of twelve files are done. It's not an overly large game as the script size is roughly 90k or so. They also have all the commands in the files to for each object you can interact with the game in scripts too which I've setup to be automagically translated and that's quite a bit of it too. So checking sizes.... I'd say about 30% so far.

Trickless, that he does :D Although in this case it was my choice and I got lucky that it was interesting :D This was my first X68000 game I hacked on and turned out to be the easiest too.

Starscream, one day I'll set up a page :D I'm a bit lazy when it comes to that stuff so no real place to see all the projects I'm working on yet. Luckily though all the computer translations I'm working on/interested in are located and Filler's and my SVN repository : PC88, PC98, X68000. Filler isn't translating all of them though (yet ;)), rather this is just games I've been looking at that I'm interested in :)

Thanks guys! Glad everyone's looking forward to it :D

PostPosted: February 18th, 2012, 6:41 pm 

Cool work, can't wait for Psychic Detective ;)

PostPosted: February 19th, 2012, 5:37 am 

That one is indeed on my list to get to :D I'm hoping they used the same system those as well. Also, if anyone has any suggestions for games for me to look at feel free as I'm always curious to check out new ones :)

Edit : Was thinking of checking them out now but I don't have any of them off hand nor is googling helping much, mind sharing Kaminari if you have them? :D Also reminds me, does anyone have a copy of The 4th Unit 1 and 2 for PC98? I can find 3, 4, 5 but not 1 and 2 :(

PostPosted: February 19th, 2012, 9:04 am 

I second the request for Psychic Detective as well. Great stuff!
It would be also very nice to see a translation for last armageddon, sooner or later...

PostPosted: February 19th, 2012, 2:07 pm 

EsperKnight wrote:
That one is indeed on my list to get to :D I'm hoping they used the same system those as well. Also, if anyone has any suggestions for games for me to look at feel free as I'm always curious to check out new ones :)
(

I'm curious about the hacking possibilities of some some Riverhill adventures - the JB Harold titles after Murder Club and Ougon no Rashinban in particular. Also, I'd like to see Phantasie IV translated - it already contains quite an amount of English, so maybe that helps.
I added info links to most of them in the romhacking.net wiki list and there's some other Japanese PC stuff there that people are keen to see in English.

Last edited by Starscream the 2nd on February 19th, 2012, 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: February 19th, 2012, 9:51 pm 

I'll definitely check the JB Harold games. I recall reading about them before and being interested. I'm not so much into those type of RPGs although I use to play Phantasie back in the day :) May give it a looksie though.

Ack! Forgot about RHNs list :D I check it out once in a while then forget about it again :) Thanks!

Also, if anyone knows of any translators looking at translating these old games but needing help send em my way :D

PostPosted: February 21st, 2012, 12:21 am 

@Esper

I have Psychic Detective 1/2/3 on FM-Towns (courtesy of Ben!) and 3/4 on PC Engine. I got the remaining titles on good old SNESoRAMA some years ago -- I'm not sure the links are still working, tell me if you need help!

PostPosted: February 21st, 2012, 5:21 am 

Thanks for the link. Appears they may be working although downloading seems to be really slow for me. Not sure if my connection is being a pain or what so will let the first go overnight. May ask for an upload though if this keeps up. I just wish though they were on any other system then the FM Towns since Unz doesn't have a proper debugger (or maybe I'm missing some switch?). Thanks!

PostPosted: February 21st, 2012, 6:17 pm 

If you need the other Psychic Detective titles for the FM-Towns just ask, and I'll upload them.
Also, it would be nice to see a translation for Mirrors (PC88 CD / Fm-Towns ) too, one day or another...

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2012, 12:03 am 

Snake, feel free to up all of them :D It's rapidshare that's being incredibly slow for me as I grabbed another file from raphidshare and it went incredibly fast. Good thing is I got a hold of the first one at least. Checking it out, same system as 4th Unit so I'll up the scripts later to our SVN :D

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2012, 12:42 pm 

I'm definitely looking forward to this.
Also, no surprise the FM Towns version is better, as Data West along with CSK (CRI) and Ving were the big three FM Towns supporters.
The DAPS system (Data West Active Picture System) was also developed primarily for the FM-Towns.

I had heard of the 4th Unit games from here: http://www.gamespot.com/users/Panzer_Zw ... 0-25593178
Quote:
The series revolves around it's main character Blon-Win, a mysterious and amnesic teenage girl who was found laying down naked in a forest shortly after an unidentified alien aircraft was shot down while flying through Japanese airspace. Surprisingly the aircraft was found totally empty and Blon-Win is the only suspected link to it. Blon-Win later joins the 4th unit which is basically a team of "Bionic Soldier" (BS) girls with "psycho powers".

The 4th Unit series were notable for their engaging story, likeable cast of characters and great anime artwork that improved after each installment. Like with most contemporary Adventure games The 4th Unit started with using a way too orthodox interface with too many unnecessary commands (it even had "Yes" and "No" commands). However the interface and pacing improved as the series went along.

On a side note, with a name like Data Wets you'd expect them to be a sister company to Data East, but nooo :)