Tokugawa Corporate Forums

Retro Japanese Computing
It is currently April 19th, 2024, 9:14 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: January 27th, 2012, 5:19 pm 

I got around to this one recently, and it goes along well enough, even if you can't see the score and remaining lives except during boss fights, but then after stage 5 you need to insert disk C, I do, and it keeps hanging on a black screen forever. (Using Blue, just so that's out of the way :) )

I looked around, but the only information I got was a video on youtube, who also couldn't see his own score and lives and said he has a "modified" disk version, which I assume is the one I also have.

Thing is, does anyone either know how to get around this (sometimes you can use the internal save function on Blue, like with "Psycho World". The game crashes after you beat the first boss, but if you reset and restart it starts you off on level 2), a way to start from disk C, or a different, possibly non-english version of this game around ?

I'd realy like to finish this, seeing as I've already beat the first 5 levels twice in the last two days, so any help would be apreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 28th, 2012, 12:09 am 

I know about this bug since 2005 and I'm looking for any clues or fixed version every week or so...
Also, about Psycho World: when the game leaves you with a black screen, remove the floppy and press space. You'll get a "load error" message. Put the floppy back into drive and press space again. IMHO much better method than restarting the whole game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 28th, 2012, 8:35 am 

cpt. Misumaru Tenchi wrote:
I know about this bug since 2005 and I'm looking for any clues or fixed version every week or so...
Also, about Psycho World: when the game leaves you with a black screen, remove the floppy and press space. You'll get a "load error" message. Put the floppy back into drive and press space again. IMHO much better method than restarting the whole game.

@ Psycho: I sort of meant that. Terrible with technical terms :P

Does OpenMSX do disks ? Cause when I loaded it up it said "this version can only load cartridges". Also, loading games is alot easier in Blue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 28th, 2012, 12:08 pm 

apachacha wrote:
Does OpenMSX do disks ? Cause when I loaded it up it said "this version can only load cartridges". Also, loading games is alot easier in Blue.

to use disks, you need a real dump of a MSX bios, not C-bios.
http://openmsx.sourceforge.net/manual/setup.html#cbios

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 28th, 2012, 1:24 pm 

popolon wrote:
apachacha wrote:

to use disks, you need a real dump of a MSX bios, not C-bios.
http://openmsx.sourceforge.net/manual/setup.html#cbios

Hmm, might have to look into this.

SO far, the only thing that would run it and show the score/lives was FMSX. However, that's an old version, which is too fast on any computer I have and it has no sync/slowdown option anywhere as far as I looked. Anyone know an older version of the program that might have this/run a bit slower ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 30th, 2012, 12:24 pm 

The game is completable in BlueMSX! I don't know the exact conditions, but it is possible to get behind that seemingly frozen state after stage 5. It takes a long time to go on, though.

If you want proof you'll see that I've got screenshots of the later stages here: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/korea/ ... irinae.htm

Also, the life and scores show up if you pause the game. Figured that was intentional, something to do with the smooth scrolling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 30th, 2012, 4:50 pm 

derboo wrote:
The game is completable in BlueMSX! I don't know the exact conditions, but it is possible to get behind that seemingly frozen state after stage 5. It takes a long time to go on, though.

If you want proof you'll see that I've got screenshots of the later stages here: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/korea/ ... irinae.htm

Also, the life and scores show up if you pause the game. Figured that was intentional, something to do with the smooth scrolling.

Realy ? Cause I put Blue on 1000 % and still nothing.

PostPosted: February 15th, 2012, 9:33 pm 

@apachacha

Regarding the high speed of fmsx, you could try to run it under dosbox and limit frametrate. Per se it would be slower as it is emulating an old machine, but if isn't slow enough, you can limit speed/framerate under dosbox options.

PostPosted: February 16th, 2012, 7:36 am 

_ThEcRoW wrote:
@apachacha

Regarding the high speed of fmsx, you could try to run it under dosbox and limit frametrate. Per se it would be slower as it is emulating an old machine, but if isn't slow enough, you can limit speed/framerate under dosbox options.

Hmm, never thought of that.

@ Derboo: You wouldn't happen to have a save at the start of the last level would you ?

PostPosted: February 16th, 2012, 8:43 am 

openMSX is clearly the best MSX emulator (at least for me) at moment.
In the past, I posted a description how do run Laserdisc games on this emulator.
Sorry, German language only.

PostPosted: February 16th, 2012, 9:00 am 

Anna_Wu wrote:
openMSX is clearly the best MSX emulator (at least for me) at moment.
In the past, I posted a description how do run Laserdisc games on this emulator.
Sorry, German language only.

I happen to translate german for a living, so that's probably only going to be nearly impossible :wink:

PostPosted: February 16th, 2012, 9:03 am 

Additional openMSX support the cross-platform.

PostPosted: March 14th, 2012, 3:38 pm 

Just for the heck of it I tried ParaMSX. Apart from having to make new saves constantly because old ones could stop working at random points for no reason, I once again didn't get anything out of disk C.

Anyways, I was looking around for OpenMSX support, but can't find an actual explanation of how to get it to run disks. I understand this might be because I need some other piece of OS for Open ?

Edit: Okay, I just finished. It turns out that not only do you have to increase performance to 1000 % for a longer period of time when you load disk C, you also have to do so before every level from that disk, and there's still a chance it might crash.

Still, glad I finaly completed it.